Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2013/2014 -webcams and reports

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam, glad you had a good final day of the season. Noticed Mojos is on rightmove for sale. Do you know why they're selling up? Do the English couple own it or manage it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hammerite, they own the lease / business - they just think time to move on - if you want to make a serious enquiry then I can put you in touch etc.

Was quite a good thrash last night with 99% ex pats living here or like us for the season and back again in the summer, and coincidentally Mel & time are at ours tonight for dinner.

Off down the vets now with the the three dogs and one muzzle Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Weathercam, just being nosey/curious. We stopped for drinks a couple of times at Mojos and it seemed a lovely place (although quiet when we were there).

Whenever we come back from somewhere we tend to spend a bit of time having a look at property with a view to eventually being able to spend more time in the mountains, possibly just having a base to stay at, possibly with some kind of business. The permanent/semi permanent move/business idea wouldn't happen for at least 6 years when Jnr leaves school, but the base to stay at may come sooner. I doubt a bar would be the business for us when this comes around though as it's an area we have no experience of.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hammerite, best of luck with the plan. I've been coming to the area since 97 and around five years ago we were fortunate enough to be able to take four to five week breaks, we always ended up renting the same place as we took it after the half term break and negotiated a good deal as I know the apartment would not have been rented out.

In those years we obviously discovered much about the area and ended up knowing a few of the neighbours, and one couple told us that they would be selling their garden flat in a couple of years when she retired from teaching and would we be interested.

I think the renting side was worth while prior to purchase, as it gave us time to assess various property options and location. Once we had seen our apartment that was the benchmark as it were when we looked at other properties and it seemed nothing came close, although it was probably €100k more than we ever thought we might spend on a property but it's worth it as we're spending so much time here, in fact we might sell our UK house and downsize as what's the point of having it?

Should also add that I'm able to carry on working (if needs must) whilst out here, the benefits of modern comms etc

As for today awoke with a major head after last night and could see that there was a dusting at altitude but not enough to warrant going anywhere, it was also bright and sunny, in fact the forecast for persistent rain over the past four or five days has never thankfully materialised.

This afternoon when I started to feel slightly better we went for a mini hike up from Pont de l'Alpe and we timed it just right with the weather as it looked like it was closing in and sure enough just as were nearing home the heavens opened with a heavy shower.

As we were walking down with the dogs had one woman who we had seen earlier with a large telephoto lens & camera had a bit of a go at us for having the dogs running round, turned out she was Belgian and was saying the dogs would frighten the bouquetin & chamois, so let her rant for a while whilst I found the pictures of the bouquetin from a few weeks back when we were ski touring with the dogs. The bouquetin are more like cattle they are not phased by anything and they almost take delight in staring down at you from above!

This time of year onwards in fact they can be seen often grazing only 50m from the road without a care in the world, not exactly a rare sight.

And as for Chamois we do see those all the time when ski touring but they get your scent from a long way and leg it.

If she has an issue with dogs she should have gone over to the other side of the road which is in fact the National Park Ecrins where dogs are interdit, oh well my rant over.

Water falls are at maximum flow now and far more dramatic than a month or so ago when much of this was covered still in snow.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice Weathercam, we would find it difficult renting for a long period over the winter as we are both teachers and would be teaching - until we decided to move out for good. However, renting for a month or so over the summer would be a good idea. I'm a currently unfit cyclist and have had a few summer hols close by (we rent a chalet in Oz) to ride the cols. Being in the mountains over the summer is as big a draw as being able to ski in the winter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh well now back in the UK Sad

Left Serre Thurs pm and drove up to Tignes, stayed there loaded van up with daughters gear and a friend's and left there Fri am and was back in my local at 19:45.

Came close to going kiting today as must have been nigh on thirty out but the garden (front and back) was a feckin jungle, and there will be other days.

So now look forward to returning in the summer, and.....

hammerite, take a look at this http://www.velo05.fr/les-cols-reserves/ this is when they close various Cols to motorists from 09:00 to Noon, and really is a great week to come out - along with the TDF stage 19th July but the Cols Reserve is such great fun!

So ACTE 1 : du 30 juin au 4 juillet 2014
Is
undi 30 juin : Col Agnel
mardi 1er juillet : Col d’Izoard
mercredi 2 juillet : Col de l’Echelle
jeudi 3 juillet : Col du Galibier
vendredi 4 juillet : Col du Granon (hardest fecker of the lot, though have never done Agnel)

And the link below is photos of all the riders going up on the Izoard last year, and as you can see there are all types of bike, even uni cycles and all types of shape and size and type of cyclists!

http://www.griffephotos.com/YOUR-2013-PICTURES-BICYCLES-Le-Col-de-l-Izoard-July-2013-02-July-2013,1445,2,en,f1.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes had a look at this before Weathercam, acte 2 could be possible. Only climb I've done of those was Galibier, did it from both sides and Telegraphe was tough enough at 35 deg C!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi,

I know it's not really on topic here, but I'm really considering visiting Serre Chevalier next year. However, when I look at the official site, the number of free apartments for next year March is really low. Do you guys know a better site to find apartments?

regards,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bart_bdv, the official TO website probably hasn't got the availability up for next winter yet, as the season has only just finished. My own apartment is available in March (see my signature), or if you drop me a PM I can advise on some other alternatives.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, thanx a lot, once I'm sure how many we are, I'll certainly contact you. Seems like a very nice apartment you have!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bart_bdv, thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weather has been grim here the last three or four days, for sure in the Summer you expect rain and thunderstorms but it's been cold as well.

Here in Villeneuve and down the valley the cloud and weather has come and gone throughout the day so we do get clearer breaks in the weather but further up the valley from Monetier onwards there's been a blanket of dense cloud that just hasn't budged and it's only just starting to clear a little and you can see the snow line at around 2500m

]

Feel sorry for people just out for a week as not a lot of fun, especially for cyclists hoping to cycle the likes of Galibier as well as climbers and hikers etc.

That said yesterday we did a bike hike up to the Gardiole (climbing up in light snow), and even wearing spring gloves our hands were really cold, but we were dressed for the conditions thankfully!

]
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy