Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2013/2014 -webcams and reports

Poster: A snowHead
VolklAttivaS5, rooms still look small on their website. It is possible the cable car was out of action when you were there last time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah they vary apparently from 9 metres square (which is what I think I got that time) upto 20 metres square.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Nice day today and the pistes were in good condition. Better than earlier in the week. It was windy today at times so that probably kept it a bit colder overall.........

The wind chill kept snow from melting by at least a hour or maybe more, sort of played havoc with our plans this morning, as we got to the top of Yret to go off down a route at 10:00 and decided we were way to early, so skied back down to Monetier to do some shopping.

Then back up to do a nice route then skin back up.

And then down Montagnolle, which again we were a little too early by an hour or so, but nice on the last third but run out was sludge.

Will be doing some of the run out again tomorrow as I'm out with the local Alpine Club ski touring up towards Têtes de Sainte Marguerite.

OH's take on the day here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had our longest day out of the week today. I think partly due to yesterday being an early finish and it feeling a tad cooler all day. Being a saddo I carry a Garmin in my pocket and it had us covering just over 45 miles (descent and up lift). We started a bit later (9.30am) as Jnr was dragging his heels, but finished the day off with a run down the Luc Alphand, about turn back up and then down the Casse de Boeuf. Jnr was asking if we could have one run back up and down the CdB, but alas the lift was closed when we got down. Considering the rain yesterday and the sun/heat today the CdB was in amazing shape even at the end of the day.

Encountered some interesting varied conditions elsewhere. Anything west facing was rock hard with any soft being wind blown off it, anything east facing was soft and turning slushy.

Can anyone tell me if the Isolee off from the top of the Eychauda is closed at the moment? We went up there, but could only turn right off the top of the lift with netting stopping us turn left. We stick to mainly pisted runs so just did the Creux de Loup from the top.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hammerite, sounds like Jnr is well up for it!

Don't know about Isolee, but that should be better mid afternoon onwards as it's more N/NW facing - rock hard most of the morning.

Those rock hard West facing will eventually turn, trick is to ski the E/SE early then move round as the day progresses, though as I mentioned the chill wind of yesterday was throwing things out by an hour or two.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam, thanks. Will probably have a look at the top of the Eychauda again today to check it out again.

Jnr is usually well up for it, once we can get him out of bed!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another very warm one this afternoon, dogs are thinking that it's the middle of summer rolling eyes

Early start this morning with the local Club Alpine - we met up at Monetier at 07:30 for a very tough climb, well at least I thought so, some great views of Monetier and Montagnolle from where we were at the summit.

I've actually put it all in another thread under Reviews and Reports as trying to give a "flavour" of what it's like to do a tour with CAF.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110183

Though here's a pic and you might recognise those moranes that you can see from Monetier as they are very distinctive.

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, nice photo.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steady day today, lovely and warm. Some runs were eerily quiet in places, nearly fell asleep on the Aiguillette lift! Looking a bit bare at the bottom of that run and the Luc Alphand seems to have sprung a stream near the base. Most runs still looking good though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite, it is indeed slow, and it is very quiet down there. One of Serre Che's hidden gems.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it is very slow when it is snowing, felt even slower when we skied down it and realised that unlike the run we had just skied this hadnt been pisted and was 3cm of snow on frozen crud when we were expecting a lovely fresh empty piste. probably the worst run of the holiday after having some great runds down there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite, thought it might have been you in a bar tonight as this guy was talking about his Jnr, and how up for things he was - needless to say thereafter all was a little confusing explaining what I was on about, his understanding was something along the lines of an Internet dating site Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam, Nope not me! Although we were probably in Mojo having a drink when you wrote that.

Hells Bells, everywhere seemed very quiet today, but on the runs down to the Aiguillette we didn't see another person. I know what you mean about slow. We've loved it here, but if we could angle one criticism at the area (and it's a pretty weak one!) it's that a lot of the lifts seem relatively slow. Of course this is offset by there being no queues.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice couple of hours this morning going off the back of Yret again and taking a slightly longer line down then a fast skin back up (half an hour).

Met a couple of guys skinning up the main route coming up from Chambran who were able to answer a question to a "cunning" plan I've been formulating .

So this afternoon drove round to Pelvoux and then up as far as you can to where the road is closed, then out with the bike and cycle back home.

Then tomorrow morning ski all the way down to where I left the van. Only issue currently is that a load of cloud (as forecast) has rolled over, however forecast is for it to clear, so wait and see, otherwise van will stay where it is rolling eyes

And this morning in Monetier the pistes were just so empty and still in great condition when we skied back down at 13:00
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hammerite, the lifts are being improved, there are several more chairs in there now than when we first went in the early 2000s, steep drags have mainly been replaced. They can keep the Aguillette just the way it is though, I'd hate it to get crowded down there. It is one of my favourite spots.
ski holidays
The chairs they need to,work are the two that take you up high in monetier.
ski holidays
Last day of the week today and last skiing day of the season for me until next year. Another sunny day but skied right through until 4.10pm and even then the pistes weren't that soft, I've had far worse conditions one April in Val D'Isere actually with great big mounds of exhausting slush and not a flake off the piste. Anyway, had a nice ski this morning with a few others and then lunch at Cafe Soleil where I had chicken something, rice and vegetables which was very nice. Then I went off on my own and did 5 laps of the bumps down the black piste Cibouit then skied down to the bottom of Monetier. There are a few brown patches which have appeared now down there but still not bad at all considering the temperatures this week. I have got a panda face to show for it.

Am being picked up tomorrow at 7am for the transfer back so not too bad at all.
latest report
dan100, Hells Bells, the lifts I thought were quite slow were the Eychauda and Frejus chairs, just seemed to go on for ages.

VolklAttivaS5, echo what you say about the state of the pistes, fantastic considering how warm it's been and very few mounds (apart from the Cucumelle in the afternoon).

We got out just before 9 this morning and finished at 4.20pm. From Villeneuve headed over towards Briancon, then spent the day working our way across to Monetier doing the high and low points in between, before ending up back into Villeneuve via the Casse de Boeuf. A good day was had by all. Apart from the bit we lost the OH and I didn't have my phone on me (broke it earlier in the week). Jnr and I turned at the Bachas to take the Cibout/Yret, the OH didn't see where we went even though I'd told her we were aiming for the 2 man chair and instead she headed straight down to Monetier. Cue a fraught 45 mins-ish making our way up the Cibout, down to Monetier and back up not knowing if she'd be waiting somewhere or skiing.... I ended up asking a very kind man if I could borrow his mobile and left a message for the OH saying we'd start working our way back and meet her back in Villeneuve. We ended up catching up with her just before the Frejus lift which was a relief. Funny that even when you're starting to feel tired you can step it up again when panic sets in! Didn't get too much grief.

On our way home tomorrow Sad will definitely be back. Loved only needing to wear my ski jacket one day this week!
ski holidays
hammerite, yep, they are certainly slow ones, but I rarely use those.
snow report
dan100, there's a problem with replacing one of them , Yret I think as due to current safety regulations, it would be impossible to build a direct replacement. It has been discussed but not sure if they reached a conclusion.
snow conditions
Have also heard that there is a plan to replace what is locally known as the "shitty" chair (Frejus) , you know the one with the little teddies and my OH's admirer "Davide" the portly attendant with the tache, family have been farming here for generations, and when ever OH takes the chair Davide slows it down and greets her with a peck on the cheek and sometimes a chocolat Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Weathercam, I know the guy you mean. He's slowed it down for me before too. We rarely use that lift now though.
latest report
Mission accomplished this morning!

Think it's the first time I've ever actually walked down to the lift, as we had to as I'd left the van in a valley up from Pelvoux yesterday and cycled back.

Slightly more people around this morning on the piste, and we noticed that some of the chalets near us last night were occupied, not too sure who is on holiday this coming week or maybe just weekenders, but still really empty.

Went over to Monetier and OH had a quick cuddle with Davide at the crappy chair and now have another guy who now shakes our hands as well, think they must just be bored although we always say hello to them all and now think that they do know that we maybe are not here on holiday, plus they sometimes see us in the Cocoon.

So onwards and downwards over the Yret towards Vallon de Chambran, within three minutes OH and I had lost each other as I went off exploring she dropped down below me and had gone on, whilst I waited thinking she was above me, was a long wait and no mobile signal, which had us thinking about the merits of the old walkie talkies we no longer use when I finally skied down and saw her waiting for me.

Some stunning cloud formations and views.

Snow has gone a fair bit even since last Monday when we skinned up part of this route, but still some nice spring snow, though further on down was not as I had hoped for Sad

And then came across these two walkers on the final part of the run out and has to ask if I could take a photo, when winter meets summer Shocked

Anyway more pictures and words here
latest report
Davide in the Dubai hat? He slowed the chair down for us too. Yesterday Jnr and I went through the barrier leaving the OH behind (a theme is beginning to appear), so he stopped the lift altogether so the OH could slide forward and get on with us!

The lifties really seemed to make an effort with decorations, teddy bears, rubber ducks swimming in the melt water, a liftie with a marmotte puppet greeting the younger customers.... simple things make us smile and make a difference between miserable looking ones in a lot of other areas (although we were in Valmeinier at half term and pretty much all the lifties said hello and smiled).

Weathercam, we're envious of your daily tours. Although it's nice to see I'm not the only one who loses their OH! I was having a think about walkie talkies yesterday when we lost her, although breaking my phone earlier in the week was a bit of a rare occurrence.
snow report
hammerite, they are generally a nice friendly lot, although there are a couple of exceptions.
snow report
A lot more cloud around first this morning which was good as we hadn't planned on any touring, and it did look quite gloomy, but started to clear around 11:00 so set up the ski work shop on the patio and started on the OH's skis filling in various dings and the like.

Then whist waiting for wax to dry decided on a little ride over the Col de Montgenevre for a quick coffee in Claviere as one does in nigh on full summer kit Cool

Quite a breeze blowing from the NW down the valley made for a tough last few kms up from Briancon, but once back out on the patio finishing off OH's skis, and not too bad a job, though proof in the pudding will be whether they glide well in the soft snow.

Now have a patio covered in wax shavings though the breeze is doing a good job, think the local bird population will have some good nesting material rolling eyes
snow conditions
Up early for a nice tour starting just below the Lautaret with the dogs, who again went chasing after every marmot whistle they heard.

View from the top of the ridge show how the snow has disappeared on the lower slopes above La Grave, you can just about make out the two traverses to P1 and the lift as well as Vallon, Chancel and the Girosse glacier

Sniffed out some nice untracked spring snow on the descent and was quite pleased with my route finding, think a few of you will recognise what we ended up over!

More pictures etc here

And once back, here on the patio temps 25+ in the sun, seems to have been like this nigh on every day for the past six weeks give or take the odd day of gloom, and forecast for the week is for more cloudless skies.
snow report
Nice easy day off the skis today rolling eyes

Cycled over to Sestriere via Montgenevre & Claviere !

Four and a half hours and 2,000m of climbing.

Going up to Sestriere I took the longer route that goes along the bottom of the valley via Sauze di Cesana and Granegesses, really quiet compared to the more normal route.

Sestriere looked as if it was closed, though did see some lifts working but no one around, same for Claviere, but Montgenevre was open, though by the time I cycled back through there was no one on the piste, also on the way back looked like Luc Alphond might be closed now as no one was coming down it and a few big patches just before the last steep pitch, maybe it's closed or maybe just no one bothering to ski it circa 15:30, suppose I could always look it up, but there again....

And some of you will recognise this shot

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam, quality road surface in the tunnel! Reminds me of my cycle home (the 2000m of ascent does not, thankfully)
ski holidays
We are in Bourg for the week and wondering about popping over to Monetier for a half day or so. Any advice welcome. I believe there are still a few lifts open?
latest report
Was great last week philipb, if you have time you'll definitely be able to find more than half a day's skiing. We did top to bottom in all areas on Friday last week - granted bottom for the Briancon side was the mid station, but every where else was fine.
ski holidays
philipb, actually going out up the hill this morning to use the lifts to then do a quick hike to ski a big SE facing slope that I think hopefully should be nice spring snow circa 10:45 so will let you know piste conditions.

Maybe best to park up at Villeneuve (Frejus) though and take Casse de Boeuf chair as will give you more options, and you can ski to Moneteir quickly if you want.

This link shows what pistes / lifts are open http://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/ski-alpes/live/neige-et-piste/ and see Luc Alphand is still open

You can see the pistes all the way down via the Cam in our garden

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
latest report
Weathercam, thanks, that's really helpful. We are heading up to alpe dhuez today to check out conditions. This is more of a laid back trip and hoping to get a few rides in as well. Monetier is tempting as my wife fancies checking out the thermal baths.
snow report
philipb, don't know when you're thinking of coming over but weather looks to be changing Fri onwards, so tomorrow might be better option, and also aim to get here by 09:30.

Can confirm pistes all great this morning, finished up coming down Casse de Boeuf at 13:15 and was in superb condition.

Did Vallons at 10:00 whilst waiting for off the back of Yret to soften up and that was great, though later at 12:15 was a bit of a soup fest.

Our little off the back tour was lovely with me finding some new lines, then when we arrived at the Cucumelle chair the lifty came out for a chat asking where we've been when we skin up to the chair, think it was the fourth time, so curiosity got the better of her Cool

And some sad news, our teddy that we gave to Davide at the Frejus chair has gone, must have been someone from Marseilles as the teddy had the colours of their team Crying or Very sad

Going for a hike with the dogs this afternoon near Cervieres to see what roads are open and how far you can drive up them, and later on going down the Club Alpine to see what they are planning for tomorrow, though my legs still a bit heavy from yesterday and not too sure I'll be up for another 1,000m+ tour.
snow report
Yesterday afternoon did indeed drive up to (well attempted to) le vallon des Fonts de Cervières, trouble is road was still closed at around 1800m, but a fantastic valley with loads of potential but now snow line and road still closed (road is used as a ski de fond track) in the upper valley meant any touring would involve a very long walk, but we will be back next season.

In fact I was doing some research of the area and back in the 70's there was talk of building a ski resort there to link to Montgenevre, but various local officials blocked the idea which is just as well as the valley is so unspoiled.

On the way back stopped off at the Club Alpine to see what the plan was for today, and Marcel who lead the tour last week was crocked but he said that the plan was to go where I'd just come from, so told him about the lack of snow etc, he did say in another couple of weeks they clear the snow on the road and you can drive to Les Fonts which is at 2050m map link

I made my polite good byes as I had another plan anyway, and I don't think the club tour on Sunday will be on looking at the forecast, so today could well be the last tour of the season if, the forecast is right Puzzled

So up early as I'd planned to go to the valley where, when I was last there I was helied out, so did have a few silly demons to face up to Sad

For those that know the valley you park up at La Ferme Des Boussardes map link here and then skin up the Vallon de Fontenil where there are various options.

On the way up met a group of young Seasonaire Scandis from ADH who are over here for a few days touring for their first time, and were with a Danish instructor living here in Briancon who knows many of the Scandis l know but we had not actually met before.

Anyway the Scandis may have been young and fit but us old farts soon put them behind us as a few of them were looking very knackered, and in various states of undress Laughing

We called it a day after nigh on 1,200m and found some lovely spring snow

Anyway more pictures etc and story here
snow report
Just back from a pleasant few hours skiing in Monetier, conditions bit better than I expected . Enough to keep myself and the kids amused for an afternoon whilst my wife enjoyed the Grand Bains.
Not sure if we'll be back tomorrow as forecast looks a bit better here in Bourg so probably try alpe d, huez or les deux alpes.
snow report
philipb, glad the trip was worthwhile - just back from walking dogs to get the bread from the old village as we do, and from above the village we saw that the Mickey (run and lift by the Grotte) is closed, so that didn't last the season.

Weather was quite gloomy this morning but has brightened up a little, and think we're doing a little road trip up to another valley I cycled to last year up near Freissinieres and hope that the little Auberge might be open and then a walk afterwards. Map link here
snow report
Weather has continued to be gloomy, though have had a few bright spells and as yet no precipitation of any kind.

Yesterday went up in the van just past Freissinieres and the road was eventually closed around 3km further on, we then walked to the end of the road where the National Park starts, (dogs are not allowed in the park) and did not see any one, though tomorrow where we parked up is the finish of a big two day ski randonne race

After that valley we then went up a little way up another one, Fournel, up from l'Argentiere la Bessee, which is where you could end up skiing off the back of Puy on the South side.

Today far more cloud around and colder, skiing of any type was not that appealing so after a long dog walk I went out on the bike up to Fontcouverte in the Vallée de la Clarée about 5km up from Nevache.

Fair number of cars and vans all parked up in various locations as being a weekend many people will be ski touring and staying in the various refuges which are all accessible from the valley, though weather is meant to be worse tomorrow.

So last Saturday of the season, and in our "block" seems we have more Italians this weekend than we've seen the whole of the season.

Monday last day of the lifts and I'll go up no matter what the weather is, then from the looks of the forecast it's going to be a very wet two or three days so not exactly touring weather Sad

And heard yesterday that more feckin travelers have moved in on the green in front of us (again) having broken through the security barriers, hopefully they'll feck off as the weather is meant to be pretty grim Sun and Mon in the UK and we think they're just having a mini break as it's Easter anyway, but of course they can't be moved on because they'll claim they're being victimised etc etc. Anyone else parking on there would be moved on in a couple of hours - anyway sorry for the rant!

Newspaper article here
latest report
Last day of the season and does not look too inspiring Crying or Very sad

Yesterday hiked up to the Col de Granon after parking the car just below Les Tronchets (1750m) didn't bother taking skis as not a lot of snow on the south facing slopes even at altitude. As we came back down weather started to close in and by the time we arrived back at the van the first few drops of rain, and that continued on and off through the night / early hours.

Looking at the Cucumelle cam looks like a light dusting, and nothing like the 30cm+ plus my daughters have up at Tignes.

This was the view across to the pistes on our hike.

And me and the dogs at the Col

Good news is that Montgenevre is open the rest of this week, bad news is that the weather does not look great Puzzled
latest report
Glad we made the effort as it was quite a surprise up top with a conservative 5cm or so and we were able to ski untracked for most of the morning, run off the side of Vallons was in nigh on zero viz but did get better as cloud came and went, and at times was snowing surprisingly heavy, but no real rain to speak of which made for a better session than was originally expected.

And as you can see the pistes were empty as well!

Actually had lunch (L'Echaillon) on the mountain in a rather relaxed atmosphere with various pisteurs dropping in for a drink, and then skiing on to the next restaurant that was open. Down the bottom looked like a big thrash going on at the Chazelet and I know that the ESF were also having a big BBQ somewhere.

Tonight is last night peros at Mojos.

So hoping not quite the last day on skis this season, as ever will wait and see Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy