Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'American Dreams' become American nightmares

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hope no one here was heading west for the snow via this outfit.....

Glasgow council stepped in to rescue the holiday dreams of 145 school kids who had booked a week in Sugar Loaf and Stowe, to the tune of a cool half million, but not everyone was quite so lucky....

Quote:
However, 20 pupils from Bo’ness Academy who had booked their trip with the same company and were due to fly out to the American resort of Sunday River, in Maine, yesterday morning were less fortunate.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=367252004
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ouch! But I think it was East Renfrewshire council (nearly my one!) coughing up £50k.

Still good to see where my neighbours' council tax goes though! Million times better use than paying for criminals to go on "rehab" holidays...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's why you should always pay for stuff by credit card. If the company then folds, the credit card company are liable to provide a full refund.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masopa, Oops, first of all I read Sbutler's pseudonym as Shutler, now I'm seeing extra 0's where they don't exist. I shall have to double-check my bank statement - perhaps there's a zero more than I thought...... Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tough!! the school chose an agent that wasnt ABTA bonded- no sympathy from me. I feel sorry for all people who pay council tax to East Renfrewshire- im sure they'll be over the moon theyve financed a ski trip for so many children- couldnt that money have paid for a teacher for a year?!?!

grrrr Rant Over
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
50k for 1 year?!. I sincerley hope not...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think both ABTA and ATOL will go for this bloke. They don't like people selling packages and not being bonded.
The ATOL rules have changed as well now. They have closed a loophole where people were selling flights as an agent of an ATOL holder then selling accommodation as a separate element. (As of 8th Oct '03)
I daresay there are a lot of "small" operators who are now technically operating illegally.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deregulation is all very well in some circumstances, but this is an example of the hazards of insufficient adminstrative controls of companies. It takes a series of disasters before the powers that be react, and in the meantime, who suffers....

If he's gone under, as usual, the creditors will be lucky to get a penny back, whether he's sued or not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you look at the Google cache of the front page American Dreams website (the site itself has disappeared), it says the company is Atol Protected, 2367 - but in the terms and conditions it says:

"Your FLIGHTS will be booked with our Flights Partner DIXON TRAVEL AGENCY LIMITED (ATOL: 2376 / CHECK ) for who we act as agents and are subject to their bookings conditions. When a flight booking has been accepted by us, we shall issue you with an ATOL receipt which confirms that the money for the flight is held by us on behalf of the ATOL holder; a contract will exist between you and that ATOL holder [managed by us] once they issue a confirmation invoice, which we will send you as soon as we receive it. All GROUND arrangements offered by us are provided under a separate contract from the flight arrangements, and will be separately invoiced."

The difference in ATOL numbers is not my typo, by the way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The business also received government support and funding, as it tried to become "the number one UK provider of school group tours to the USA":

Sheila Munro, Small Business Gateway Renfrewshire, said of the company, "We believe that there is a great future ahead for American Dreams, due to their 'can do' approach to their core market and how they continually add complementary products, such as clothing, to their offering. As their core market grows I am sure that they can potentially quickly and easily diversify into other markets, such as the corporate sector."
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very Happy "...I am sure that they can potentially..." Very Happy

Typical PR bull. It means absolutely nothing but sounds great, we could All potentially ANYTHING.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like the Council paid up, in part at least, to avoid being sued by parents:

According to a Council report: "The council's potential liability to pupils and parents could easily have been greater than the cost of the rescue package."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5025793.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy