Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hypnotherapy

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all

I was flicking through a ski magazine and I saw an article pointing at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fear-Of-Skiing-Hypnosis-Cd/dp/B0012IXHH2?tag=amz07b-21

I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

I ask, as I have a wonderful wife, who after many years of ski lessons thinks that anything other than a green is an accident waiting to happen.

She knows this won't happen, but I just can't get her to think anything different Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I sympathise with your wife, I thought I felt the same for many years but then realised it was actually the drops off the side of the piste that terrified me. Now I stick to very wide pistes, U shaped runs or tree lined routes and I am happy and actively dislike greens as they are often narrow and hard work with lots of poleing (sp?) unless you get the speed just right!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kiteman69, You can get skiing hypnosis audio MP3's quite easily on the internet i.e. http://www.selfhypnosisuk.com/skiing-nerves-and-fears.html I guess whether they work depends on how receptive you are to the whole concept, but for £13.95 its only the cost of a round of drinks up a mountain to find out. Most of these work by instilling PMA and giving the body a subconscious physical cue that the 'patient' can use to dial into said PMA once on the mountain.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-11-13 9:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That link above is run by Snowhead sharon1953 Might be worth contacting her
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kiteman69, it's just a thought, but maybe she has had too many ski lessons and not enough time to experiment on her own terms. It may not work for everyone, but I was once in a similar situation. What fixed me was attending a SH bash BY MYSELF - a week on skis with the SH's crowd and a bit of time by myself, encouragement from all, being dragged from bar to bar on the mountain and no expectation to succeed let me discover that this could be a fun thing to do. If all else has failed before giving up I'd send her on a SH bash on her tod if she will go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kiteman69, I had a session with a hypnotherapist for my fear of flying. It made a huge difference and although I still don't like it, I am much calmer during flights, and no longer have weeks of worry beforehand, which was becoming a real blight on any holiday plans. On Megamum,'s point - a friend had had many, many hours of driving lessons and could not possibly know any more about the theory of driving, but couldn't face the test, as she was sure she'd fail (or crash.....). She went to the same hypnotherapist; two sessions later, took and passed her test first time. IME it's a case of confidence in what you know and the skills you do have, but feel unable to put into practice. If the CDs in question are only the cost above, it will be worth a try, but perhaps she should also be prepared to actually see someone in person. Good luck Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also worth thinking about easkiski's "Cautious to Confident" week http://www.easiski.com/C2C.html specifically for this kind of situation. Runs concurrently with the "on2Off" introduction to off piste which I am doing in January 2014 (had been booked for it last year, but injury prevented my taking part). Charlotte Swift is an excellent instructor and it will be a friendly and supportive environment. There aren't many places left.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kay Gill at http://www.skiingwithconfidence.com is another recommendation
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks everyone

I will purchase one over the next week or so........I wil report back my findings............good Very Happy or bad Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi, Sharon Shinwell here, I am the producer of the CD mentioned by Kiteman69. As a skier and qualified Hypnotherapist (and Counsellor) I know exactly what it feels like to be absolutely in love with this sport, dream of going all year and be terrified of it at the same time to the extent of feeling sick! That's exactly why I made this title. The response I got from everyone when I explained my fears was "you just need more lessons with a sympathetic instructor..." No, no, no, I didn't...I could teach it I had so many lessons and I know all the theory too, I even serviced my own skis and I can fit bindings! It's what goes on inside the head that's the issue. Sports Psychology is used in most areas of sport now but there seems to be a resistance in the amateur world of skiing just as there used to be in the horse riding world...now riders/ instructors fully embrace the concept that debilitating fear is not cured with more coaching/lessons/instruction and "giving up" is not an option either; the equestrian industry now promotes confidence-building techniques in just about every publication. I used my own understanding of my fears and years of riding and skiing and put them together with Hypnotherapy and I am pleased to say that for most people this approach really does work. Hypnosis doesn't work for everyone, I certainly don't claim that, there is only a very small percent of the population it doesn't work for though so there is every chance it will and it at least offers an alternative approach to calming down those "what if" scenarios of doom that grip you like a vice and make you so tense you can't do anything right. If you can sort the mind out - the body will follow. More info about my story on confidentskier.com and I am more than happy to answer any questions, just message me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anything to report yet kiteman?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi I've used the Sharon shinwell overcome ski nerves and it was brilliant for me. I had technique, etc but lacked courage - something ski schools can't give you. Now I always listen to my hypnosis on iPod before ski holiday. It has helped me tremendously. I even take it on holiday to top my mind up - So to speàk. I ski more now and pray less!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alan_1951, Not yet..........although, to be fair, I have only just ordered it Embarassed

Dolomiti99, it was your post that kicked me into action.................I hope you are on commision Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed alan_1951. (We go away on Saturday)

For the 1st time I think my wife is actually looking forward to her ski holiday.

Who knows.........I might get her down a half pipe yet snowHead snowHead

Anyway, if everything goes according to plan, I will report back when we get back
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good Luck
I hope all goes well. We don't go till late Feb
latest report
I tried hypnotherapy to try and stop eating as much. It was without doubt the most relaxing thing I have ever experienced and I may well consider doing it again. Still a fat knacker though Sad
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hi everybody

Long time lurker - first post!

I used to be a very nervous skier with good technique but a serious 'head' problem. Lessons worked for the method but did not fix the fear factor. in desperation I tried Sharon's CD and it really worked for me. Give it a go!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy