Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top 5 European resorts

brian
brian
Kramer, agree 100% about Zermatt, definitely going back for my 40th (in only 4 and a bit season's time Sad ), hopefully a planet busting heli trip on the big day itself snowHead

I haven't actually skied that many places in Europe, 2 x EK and 4 x 3V, plus Verbier and Zermatt.

I think Courchevel is unlikely to get squeezed out.

At home, Nevis with the back coire open on a nice day is fantastic.

High on my future list:

Chamonix, St Anton, L2A/La Grave (been in summer)

This year I'm doing PdS (Les Gets) in Feb and a long weekend in March. I'm thinking maybe Les Arcs for that one.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd pretty much agree with the original five if not necessarily the order. Val D'Isere really is the best.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In no particular order

Zermatt
Madonna di Campiglio
St Anton
St Moritz
Jungfrau Area
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't skied in enough places yet to put a list together! Give me another 10-15 seasons & I might be able to comment.

Like someone said earlier, I've really enjoyed everywhere I've skied over the last few years. Glad to see Cortina on someone's list - a beautiful place (the town and the mountains), the best food ever, cheap (compared to the big French resorts) and excellent nightlife. I don't know what it would be like for advanced skiers though as I was almost a beginner when I went there.

I'm sure that St Anton would rate high on my list if I was doing one. The only downside is that you can't really take beginners there! I would be quite happy to go back there every year for ever. I wanted to return there last season, but had to think of the nervous beginners in the group Shock(

This is a really useful thread - trying to decide where to go this year. It can be very easy to keep returning to the same places each year, but it would be good to try somewhere new. Zermatt keeps coming up on people's lists - I assume it's hideously expensive though?
snow report
 brian
brian
sazza42, while Zermatt's not cheap, I don't think it's any worse than the 3V or Val d'Isere. Possibly slightly cheaper.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flaine
La Clusaz
Avoriaz
Le Grand Bornand
Chamonix

Prefer the quieter resorts - less hussle and bussle on the lifts
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied in quite a few places, but if you're talking about resorts which I will always want to go back to until the day I die, then it's boring I know, but my list is pretty much the same as everyone elses:

Chamonix, Zermatt, Val d'Isere, Courchevel.

I realise this is only 4 but nowhere else I've been to is quite as good, although St Anton, Ischgl, Verbier and Alpe d'Huez are all must-visits for any skier IMO. Still to try Engelberg, St Moritz and Davos, which could become favourites, based on their reputations...I need more holidays!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourites would have to include Serre Che although I'm not likely to visit it again as my wife hates it for some unknown reason, just as she dislikes Les Arcs (also a favourite of mine).
The Espace Killy would also have to be in the top 5 but which resort? Probably Tignes Val Claret for the access to the slopes and the lack of pretensions.
Ste Foy would be there - just so special.
My final two would be Avoriaz, very underated particularly out of peak season, and La Plagne, where the off-piste lasts longer than 2 hours before being tracked out.
Sorry that they are all French but its a long time since I visited an Austrian resort and then I was never impressed - always queues and bad snow.
Really hated St Anton, Grindlewald, and 2Alpes. Enjoyed AlpeD'Huez, Gressony, and Soll.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wengen
Zermatt
Valmorel
Alpbach
Sportwelt Amade (Austria)

can't believe so many people rate the big French resorts amonst their favourites - surely you just tolerate them?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If I remember rightly the brief is "must visits" which might be different for best resorts.

I've done most of my skiing in the 3V, particularly Courchevel and will probably continue to go there from time to time because its a damn good compromise with a mixed ability group (altitude/snow, size, variety of terrain, ski-in ski-out, lift system- surely courchevel has the best lifts in the alps). That said, I'm not sure it's a must visit. My list would be:

1 Chamonix (obviously)
2 Zermatt (scenary, atmosphere and good skiing and I haven't even been!)
3 St Anton (great quality and quantity of terrain, Austrian atmosphere)
4 Verbier (great quality and quantity of terrain, forgive the hoorays)
5 Oh I don't know - Val D'Isere or Courchevel

I'll duck La Grave on the basis that it isn't a resort (and I haven't been).

Surely all the other big French resorts are just poorer versions of Espace Killy and 3V?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My dear fellows the answer to this is clear.

Any resort worth its salt and desrving of a top 5 listing will have the following:

1. Plenty of those serpha fellows so you can avoid those unshaven russians and those damnable americans who give you their incredibly dull life story on a lift.
2. Real snow rather than the wet man made stuff whcih my grandson rightly refers to as "spunk".
3. A total absence of people who think a ski is used to get to the next cafe or who are clad in soem space age synthetic developed for nasa to be colourfast.
4. None of those snowboarders who behave like Klingons and decloak next to you on the slope to discover they have lost their impluse power and cant manouvre to avoid you but retain all their animal impluses which they are only to willing to share with you.
5. A lodge in which the loudest sound is the crackle of the fire and clinking of a whisky bottle on crystal.
6. Fresh snow every day.
7. No lift lines.

If you know of such a place please dont put it on this site just send me a private note.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamonix
Fernie
Lech
Obertauern
Saas-Fee

Yet to ski Verbier and Zermatt though
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PowderHound171, since when was Fernie in Europe?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My five Euro faves:

Verbier
Meribel
Kitzbuhel
Courchevel
Montgenevre
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy