Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere Best Mountain Restaurants/Instructors

Poster: A snowHead
We are returning to Val d'Isere on 15th Dec for the first time in about 7 years, with our 14 year-old daughter in tow. As we really enjoy our lunches on the piste, I was wondering if any SnowHeads could share their favourite eateries in Val and Tignes with me please?

Also, if anyone could recommend a good ski instructor, that would also be appreciated. I'm a strong intermediate, but would like to brush up on my technique with a couple of private lessons.

Thanks for any feedback.

Fiona G
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Loop Bar in Tignes le Lac (at the bottom of the Sache run) do great burgers. I really like the omelettes they do at the restaurant at the top of the Chaudannes lift out of Le Lac. My favourite eatery on a sunny day was the restaurant at the bottom of the Madeleine, where they had a bbq going all day; haven't been in three years though so not sure if its still there. And the place at Le Fornet (bottom of the cable car) always had great looking cakes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FionaG, What budget do you have in mind - particularly In Val the variation in price is enormous.

+1 for Davs recs - the Ouilette at the bottom of the Madeleine is still going strong as is Le Creuzet under the Fornet cable car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pizza at La Pignata in Tignes is virtually unbeatable - always a regular stop when we're in the EK
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2nd the Loop Bar in Tignes Le Lac, there's another good Burger Place and some very good pizza places in Val Claret. All at resort level though. Les Marmottes up the mountain above Val D'Isere is good and very good value, it is self service but very nice inside.

For lessons TDC are in both Val and Tignes and are very good, Steve Angus who posts on here works in Val for them (his wife too). Stewart Woodward who also posts on here works over in Tignes.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would recommend La Peau de Vache half way down Le Face - had an fantastic lunch there in Feb this this year. 12 happy skiers at the end of a great meal , the burgers really are amazing!!

Lessons , I also used TDC , Colin was our instructor , great 3 days covering off piste , bumps and just ripping around. Great fun and great instruction.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for TDC here too, Sarah gave us the best 3 days of off piste lessons we've ever had.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best advice I was given was, eat in Tignes!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TDC

the end.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
La Fruitiere above Le Daille. Not bad for a bit of scran.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski with TDC, dine with La Farme Des Trois Capucines in Tignes Le Lac - best combo Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Edelweiss above Le fornet on the blue was v good when I last went there. That was 7 years ago now.

Andy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I also rate Edelweiss highly - last time was about 2 years ago. Expensive but worth it.

Also in Le Fornet - L'Arolay - bit of a walk from teh bottom of the slope - basically turn left and keep walking and you will see it on lhs just down the slope from the road.

And a particular favourite - La Sachette in Tignes les Brevieres. I have enjoyed every meal there over quite a few years.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, we had a few magnificent lunched at La Fruitiere some years ago but skiing past at New Year last year I couldn't help but think that the noise from the FD next door would be an unwelcome distraction. We did however have a very acceptable lunch at le Trifollet.

There's also a lovely place a short walk into Brevieres but I can't for the life of me recall the name, can't find it on the web and I don't think it was the Sachette. Left hand side a 2-3 minute walk into the village, ski racks opposite door, nice terrace.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, we had a big group, so they put us into the private room in the wine cellar - not a bad day out.

I know the place you mean down in Hobbiton too, but I've no idea what it's called. good place to meet up after a run down Sache.
ski holidays
I don't know local instructors but if you fancy an off-piste day with a group of the same standard and English speaking guide/instruction try Alpine Experience.
snow conditions
Loop is great for burgers and chilli con carne but is not really a mountain restaurant as it is in Le Lac. You can ski in/out though. It is most certainly not at the bottom of Sache!! It is on the right as you come down Trolles from Toviere. Take the blue on the right of Trolles if with beginners. The restaurant at Tovieres is also good.

Edelweiss above Le Fornet is my favourite true mountain restaurant. It is easy to get to by all abilities. The food is exceptional, as is the service and the building. A real treat.

My fave non mountain restaurant is Sachette in Brevierre (which is at the bottom of Sache). Go over the bridge and turn left. It's about 50m up on the left. At lunchtime it will be full of lifties, so that should tell you something!! Their tartiflette is the best I have ever had.

The place next to Folie Douce, La Fruitiere, has been good and bad in different visits. FD is always fun and their snacks are not bad at all.
ski holidays
bar shaker, i think I must be thinking of Sachette then. Who are definitely in the wrong place on gmaps.
ski holidays
bar shaker, good correction of mine, I'm not even sure why I put Sache!!
snow report
Anyone have any updates from their experiences this season - what's hot and what's not, particularly in town for dinner? TIA.
snow conditions
Had a lovely meal at Le Lodge 2 weeks ago - you need to book ...

Mountain resturants - Edelweiss in Fornet still good and La Bouida in Les Brev gets better and better.
snow report
Mountain restaurants.... ill just comment on Val options here:
Marmottes : good value
Ouilette: nice ambiance and good chavallot food and its a 'different' lunch there rather than burgers and chips type stuff.
Edelwiess : nice but you must book
Top new option that everyone overlooks but the burgers there are IMMENSE and so are the 'cow pat deserts' would be the Peau du Vache - half way down the Face.... NON skiers can go there (or lesser able skiers can go) by going up AND down the Bellevarde chairlift.... wonderful local feel in there with great views over Val!

Town eateries:
Lodge is good but standard french menu.
Victors GREAT value..... several glasses of wine and a burger there last night was about €25 INCLUDING the tip!
Taverne d'Alsace - for some slightly different but yummy French food.
Barillon in La Daille - AMAZING goats cheese sale in there for starter is huge.

.... and for lessons - i'd be happy to help! Very Happy
snow report
Thanks Steve, staying in La Daille we had the usual pleasant first night meal in Barillon last night - and dined at the Taverne tonight on a recommendation, the lamb en croute was excellent.

Keep them coming!
snow conditions
Edelwise- we went there on Saturday. It was bloody fantastic. It will probably be our best meal of the year. We arrived just after noon and were fine without a reservation, but as we left people were being sent away.
ski holidays
Lo Terrachu for posh food in Le Lac.
Le Caveau is also worth a visit.

TDC Tignes is my fav ski school anywhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy