Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Well the Canadians call it that. I assume it's the watershed between the Pacific and the Atlantic. Just further north-west are the 'Columbia Ice Fields'. From here the melt waters can drain into the Pacific, Atlantic or Arctic Oceans.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Continental divide

Sunshine sites right on it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The prevailing weather tends to come from the West, so west of the continental divide receives the most snow - clouds come in from the west, dump the snow and then gradually lessen. The continental divide is the high point that marks this & hence the reason that Sunshine gets so much snow that they boast they don't have any snow-making facilities snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cathy

Welcome back. I myself have just returned from 2 weeks in Banff. - You probably don't want to hear this, but Saturday was a truly GREAT day of skiing at Sunshine (and Monday wasn't too bad, once the boilerplate that formed after Sunday's cold snap softened up).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You're right Acacia, I don't want to hear that! But I am pleased the weather was good for you. Thanks again for your tips before we went - we really did enjoy ourselves! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just booked Lake Louise for our honeymoon this December, can't wait!!!!!!! Information on this thread was really inspiring, so thanks Cathy and everyone else.

I'll be thinking of you as I sip my champagne and look out over the frozen lake Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey, well done johnboy! Is that, you can't wait for your wedding or for the honeymoon after?? Laughing

You will have a fab time - I can certainly recommend the champagne by the lake! We are now deciding whether to go to Lake Tahoe with our 'group' in March or back to Banff with a couple that we met whilst over there - personally not too tricky a decision Cool

You'll have to update this thread with your tales (well, not all of them Shocked )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only 105 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yipeeeeeeeeee
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To the wedding or the honeymoon johnboy?? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Er, em the Honeymoon Cathy Very Happy

104 to the wedding
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Suspected that might be the case Johnboy!!! Wink Still, only 103 left now! We're booking again for Banff next season in March - hate to think how many days left to that!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cathy Coins, decided to try Whistler as we couldn't sort out a decent trip to Banff for the dates we wanted,but I do wish I was going to Banff as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope you enjoy it Helen - I'm sure you'll have a good time. I think next year we'll have got Banff out of our system and would like to go to Whistler perhaps the following season. Think a week in Europe & 2 in Canada each year works well!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was considering trying Whistler this season as my regular ski partners can't make it this year... however LL holds my heart so I'm going back for the 4th consecutive year. Plus I got a free ticket to Kicking Horse last year and I've got to claim that! Laughing Surely that's worth the price of a flight! Wink
snow report
Looks like I'm going in reverse. After 6 consecutive years in Banff, I'm off to Whistler next year.

Woooo-Hooo!
latest report
Have fun Acacia - I'll be interested to hear what you & Helen have to say about Whistler as both of you are fans of Banff snowHead

100 now johnboy Laughing
latest report
LAKE LOUISE REPORT

29th November - 10th December 2004

THE JOURNEY:

We got a connection via Heathrow with Air Canada who were absolutely fantastic. Food was very good and as much drink as an Irishman could handle. Got some amazing pics as we fley over Greenland and Northern Canada. Flight time 9 hrs but passed remarkably fast. 2 Hr transfer with Sundogs Minibus to the Chateau. Got a guided tour of Calgary by our driver Paul.

THE CHATEAU:

This truly is an amazing hotel. The setting on the lake is totally unique. What I wasn't prepared for is the level of service. Canadians smile at everything and will totally go out of their way to help you. On the first night we ate in the Saloon bar and were served by a Girl called Regan who said "AWESOME" alot. In fact everyone says "AWESOME" ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had most of our meals in The Poppy Brasserie which is the best value of all the eateries in the hotel. Reasonably priced although I couldn't find a bottle of wine for under $45. So we drink alot of Kokanee, the local brew which is very refreshing.

We usually had breakfast in the Deli which has a wide selection of food on a sit in or take away basis.

The hotel upgraded our room and gave us complimentary wine and champagne as we were on honeymoon, so well done Ski Independence for letting them know Very Happy

Be prepared to spend alot of cash if on a room only basis. I wouldn't say it was expensive, but it does add up esp with GST and Tip.

THE SKI-ING

LAKE LOUISE

When we arrived they were a little dry on snow but had plenty of artificial. The scenery is spectacular but I wouldn't say any better than Europe. Of course the tree lines runs are a huge plus. I suppose I was a little bit disappointed with Lake Louise as there wasn't as much variety as I had anticipated. The Lodge of the Ten Peaks (BASE AREA) is a good place to chill out. The Temple Lodge had only just opened and if your idea of good food is a Cheeky Australian serving you 2003 chilli then this is the place for you.

Favourate Runs: Camerons Way and Wixaxy- Cruisers Paridise, Eagle Chair gives access to a quiet area of interesting terrain. Steer well clear of the Olympic Chair, SSSllllllooooooooooooqwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Skullie

SUNSHINE

We booked into the Sunshine Inn for 2 nights. I prerfered here to LL. The ski in /out was a big advantage and as the Inn is the only Accommadation at the top of the Gondola we had the place to ourselves till mid morning. Again we got another room upgrade with jacussi leather sofas, flat screen TV etc for £100 sterling for 2 nights! They have a 40 man outdoor hottub which is excellent.

The ski-ing in Sunshine was much better than I expected. The really do get a poo-poo load more snow than LL at least 3* as much. When LL was only 50 % open Sunshine was in full operation with 100% Natural Snow one of their biggest selling points. A good bit of tree ski-ing in the Wolverine Area and I reckon the terrain is more interesting than LL. Maybe not as Vertical as LL but definately wider.
Trapper Bar has a good feel to it, much more relaxed than LL.

We missed our connecting bus to Banff as the hotel was late at loading our bags on the Gondola. Fear not, the guy on the deck at the base (From Leeds) got us a lift into Banff with the head of Sunhine Transport.

NORQUAY

It was closed Sad

OTHER STUFF

SKI DOOING

$200 for 5-6 hrs incl food. Excellent fun, saw elf, deer and a cooyte

JOHSTON'S ICE CANYON

$40 for a morning incl guide. Tour through frozen canyon as name suggests. Very Pretty.

SUMMARY

Ski-ing
Sunshine is better than Louise, but no better than Europe

People
Extremely helpful apart from Aussie Lifties who are downright rude.

Highlight: Ski-ing Sunshine on my Birthday

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Any questions just ask.
latest report
Great review Johnboy. Me and the missus are off to the same hotel in March. I hate to mention this again (not really) as I've already mentioned it on about five other posts but we won the trip through C4 skiing programme.
latest report
Richie, luck ba****d!!!! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

$200 for 5-6 hrs incl food. Excellent fun, saw elf,

- And I thought they'd all taken the last ship to the west..........................

Richie,

So someone actually wins those things?!? And there I've been, not entering because the questons are too easy.
ski holidays
Acacia, me too, usually.
The programme was on at 3AM so I taped it. I was starting work the following day at 11AM so thought I'd catch half hour of it before I slogged me guts out. The competition closed at midday so I thought "not too many peeps would have seen this....sod it I'll have a go !" and sent off the text message.
Et voila! Phone call the following Tuesday. GET IN!
All booked for the 12th March and it's cost me a quid. Mange Tout Rodney!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy