Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Argentinian ski resort revealed as Nazi hideout

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith I do not think that Ott was making excuses for the Nazis. Far from it.
But as Lachigo hints with "Lots of things happened in WW2 and worse has happened since. Time to move on" , the "actors" of those times have all nearly died.
Once they will be all dead, a possible way to punish them, those who human Justice has not been able to reach- be it for political links, for sheer cunning on their part or whatever- IMHO, so many years after the facts, is to forget about them, to erase their names from our collective memory, or to damn their names forever and ever, but then we have a problem with their offspring, they're not guitly of their fathers and mothers acts, right? At the same time we should never, ever forget about the milllions of victims and the millions of soldiers who fought to stop the madness.
This is a difficult, almost impossilbe, thing to do, for we cannot remember the latter without the former... I have no sureproof solution, alas.
Also, to say "never again" is not a solution, because we all know that it will happen again, performed by one human tribe against another, "homo homini lupus".
History is cyclical, and I am always amazed at how the circle never fails to come a full round in due time. History is there to be studied to allow us to avoid the same mistakes again and again, and yet we always fail to do so.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Von Braun, I recollect from a visit to a V1 rocket site in Northern France, was instrumental in the developement of the V2 at Peenemunde. He "surrendered" to the Americans at the end of the war, because of their investment into rocket technology and his fear of the Russians (like most Germans in that respect at the time). I think his name was changed to Brown and he became a senior figure at NASA during the Jupiter and Saturn rocket programmes.

From what I remember, the regimes at the rocket sites in Europe inflicted terrible conditions on the POWs who died supplying much of the labour. In my view, many Germans at the time quite conveniently altered their mindsets to overlook/justify much of what was going on around them. Collective liability is how I see it for many.

BTW Ott, the Russians were estimated to have shot up to 500,000 of their own army in WWII for a good deal less in most cases than disobeying orders, and I dare say the Germans were not much better, so up to a point you make a good one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Were the soviets during WWII a Democracy?
No, they were considered "good guys" only because they were fighting on the right side.
But the soviet dictatorship was as brutal as the nazi-fascist ones.
They killed and exterminated and subjugated East Europe...Poland was shifted westward, in 1939 Soviets and Nazis were "allied" of sort, and splitted Poland, let's not forget. After the war, the part that Germany had annexed was given back to Poland but not the part that the Soviet swallowed in 1939, which was substituted by a piece of eastern Germany. Let's not forget that parts of today's Slowenia and Croatia are made up of pieces of Italy, taken from Italy at the end of WWII, and that the Italians who used to live there had to flee or be subjected to ethnic cleansing, ever heard of the "Foibe"? If we have to remember all the atrocities, then so be it, let's remember every single one. Not only part of it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo wrote:
Lots of things happened in WW2 and worse has happened since.

I think the Holocaust stands unchallenged as the nadir of Western European civilization. Nothing since has touched it.

And not much that has happened outside Western Europe is clearly "worse" than the systematic murder of 6 million Jews.

Mao's "great leap forward" famine and Stalin's terror are good candidates, I guess - also the product of a dead-end European political philosophy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Matteo, if you're interested, read Anthony Beevor's account of the fall of Berlin - I'd say the Russians were almost more brutal. Their naturally pent up feelings about the Germans had been whipped up to a frenzy by the politicos who used all manner of propaganda (much of it untrue, though not all) to inflame their hatred even more. It's a breathtaking read, totally absorbing and at the same time horrifying. The Western Allies don't come out of things too unscathed, either.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK, David, I don't often think about it but I'll give you a short history about my life too. I was born in Yugoslavia to an Austrian father and a mother of German origin. We lived in a town comprised mostly of people of German origin along with some Serbs, and a mixture of other nationalities and races. All of us lived harmoniously together. The Jews and the Germans were the wealthiest in town, also the hardest workers.

My family had an electrical contracting and installation company and store, along with selling and repairing radios and appliances and a warehouse full of materials and stock.

During the first ethnic cleansing in the fall of '44 by the Serbian partisans the retreating German army said to leave or be killed. Luckily my family left with three hours notice but most didn't, including most of my extended family. They were tortured and killed in the cruelest way imaginable, 370000 in Yugoslavia in a couple of weeks. We were tossed around in camp after camp until the war ended. Everything we worked for was lost.

I never heard of any of the partisans being held responsible for the slaughter, the war was over at the time in the region and they probably lived happily ever after in our houses, but I don't care, leaving there was probably the best thing that could have happened because we are very happy here.

So this goes on and on, mass murders from Attila the Hun to Hitler and Stalin to Sadam, etc. and I don't think it will ever end. We'll just have to live with it.

This is a depressing subject and I'm sorry to get churned up about it. That's the last of it.

....Ott
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if the internet had existed during the 1930s, perhaps - perhaps - the genocide of millions could have been avoided

If you really believe that you are sadly deluded. War will always be with us . Nobody has yet managed to eliminate it. Likewise genocides, racism, anti-semitism.

Harping on about it does no one any favours. You would think nobody else had ever been killed in a war, or a pogrom, or an ethnic cleansing.

This obsession with Nazis and WW2 seems to be peculiar to the UK.

I don't have to make apologies for anyone. I am neither German nor Nazi.
Nor do I have to adopt a particular response when those two words are mentioned.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Latchigo"]
Quote:

This obsession with Nazis and WW2 seems to be peculiar to the UK.

Just for reference, could I ask how many other countries you've lived in to be able to make that observation ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Secondly, I should remind you that 'obeying orders' as a scientist or a soldier does not absolve anyone from moral responsibility.

Looking through the family album I saw a picture of my wife's Grandfather in a Nazi uniform. My father-in-law saw the puzzled look of disbelief on my face. He said "well what was he supposed to do? It was either go to war and get the chance to see his young child again (my father-in-law) or be shot on the spot". He died in WW2 as did one of my other Grandfathers only they were on different sides.

I've met a lot of Germans and they are not at all what I expected or had been led to believe (i.e. Evil Nazi's). Some of em (not many) even have a sense of humour - they call them Bavarians. Little Angel

Hitler shouldn't be forgotten but a whole nation shouldn't be forever put down. If all Germans are guilty then by the same token every Brit, American and Spaniard is guilty of killing innocent Iraqi and Afgani people.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy