Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I is for Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Any unbiased recommendations for Annual Travel Insurance, with decent recreational snow sports cover including off piste, welcome please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have found Insure & Go to be OK for me, although I am not sure whether they cover off piste.....And here is a 20% discount code Blues20 (they sponsor Southend United)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry double post rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-10-13 19:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dog Tag are very good, particularly when it comes to the important bit of claim settlement. (Snowheads get a discount as well.)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been looking into this myself recently. I need an annual policy for the whole family, and critically I'm expecting to ski for at least 4 weeks in the coming year - this rules out a lot of standard policies/insurers. The most promising one at the moment looks to be switching current account to Nationwide, which then comes with insurance included (though £10 a month fee) and various other perks. It may be worth looking into things like that if you can't find a better deal.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After last years discussion and the change in terms re length of trip from Dog Tag, we switched to Fogg Insurance. Recommended by other snowheads and they crucially for us covered the number of days we wanted and off piste without a guide.

It was very reasonable last year - haven't had this years renewal quote yet and haven't had to make a claim which is always the big test but if you want to look them up it's www.fogginsure.co.uk
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We used Insure & Go this year mainly because they covered our medical conditions at a reasonable price compared to other companies, didn't make a claim but did have to add another medical condition and it was added with no problem or extra cost.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think my annual travel cover with insure & go including up to 30 days cover winter sports for me & the missus was less than £70 net of the discount I mentioned above...which i think is quite a good price.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have found snowcard very good, though you need to go for the top price bracket to get covered for off piste without a guide, long trip lengths and a large number of days skiing. It's called "Extreme Adventure" or something; scarcely an accurate description for my typically rather leisurely perambulations. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kieranm, I was looking at the Nationwide Flexplus account that comes with worldwide travel insurance too but it only covers to up to 31 days skiing per person per year. I did not think it was to clear on the policy wording so I called them and they confirmed it was only 31 days skiing max per year and not per trip as for the remainder of the policy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MPI Brokers seem pretty comprehensive on their off piste cover, plenty of ways to tweak cover before purchase.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fabricem, thanks for pointing that out - it is not at all clear from the policy document, but one fewer things for me to have to check myself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fabricem, does the Nationwide policy cover off piste?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can of worms in regard of covering off piste these days. I use Snowcard this year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
InsureandGo cover you for 24 days skiing on their Gold Annual Policy with winter sports , that is actual skiing days so
would cover 4 weeks x 6 days skiing each week & was only £55 last year for me only
ski holidays
Thanks very much for the information and advice, much appreciated.
snow report
Nationwide only cover off-piste if you are with a qualified instructor. AAC looks the best bet to me. Others like MPI, Dog Tag & Snowsport England seem fine but more expensive, and for old men like me a year's cover with AAC (in any country) is only £33.50.
latest report
welshskier, I'll second the AAC. Quite a few other benefits too, like cheaper hut use, summer activities in the UK.
snow conditions
Thanks again for your postings. AAC looked good insurance but first required annual membership for 3 of us, which was expensive for the use we'd get from the organisation. After a fair bit of online research I ruled out InsureandGo and also Direct Travel on the basis of many negative reviews about obstructions put in place by customers appearing to make reasonable claims. I eventually went for Liverpool Victoria. They have a 5* Defaqto insurance rating and were a Which? recommended provider from their most recent research. Their Premier Annual Multi Trip policy for family of 3, Europe only, cost just under £100 total. It includes up to 31 days winter sports and includes off piste. The 'crunch' comes if we ever need to make a claim and I'm rather cynical about all insurance companies these days. To supplement this, when skiing in France, we buy Carre Neige with our lift pass. That seems to be 2.8 euros per day 2013/14 and gives added peace of mind.
As always, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed inside my mitts!
ski holidays
Applying for a long term visa (France) what insurance cover did you show to get a 12month visa?
ski holidays
Has anyone come across an insurer for NON UK residents over the age of 70+ to coverwinter sports
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, you mean with a UK insurer? I don’t think UK insurers can/will insure non-UK residents?
ski holidays
@ster, Which is why I specifically asked that question!
snow report
I've no idea of the answer but your probably better off asking it on the Piste section as there is not a lot of traffic on this part of the board.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, I don’t think they can as I recall seeing it discussed in other threads. I think when a non-UK resident was trying to get Hire Car excess insurance from a UK provider and were knocked back.

E.g. as with here, see Section 2 clause 9 on page 4

https://policydocuments.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/100/Fortegra/GB/QuestorCarHirePolicyV2.0.pdf
ski holidays
@ster, As I said. I'm fully aware of the situation from UK insurers. Which is why I specifically asked the question in the way I did!
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, sorry, I must be a bit slow. Must not try to help again.
snow report
After getting royally F*cked by our annual insurer during the pandemic we have reverted to buying trip based policies that are a little easier to understand and also easier to claim under. They were also a heck of a lot cheaper.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@FrediKanoute, oh that is disappointing Sad

Thankfully our nationwide flexplus account did pay out. I would recommend checking them out. Particularly good value for family cover, if you make it a joint account....
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
I eventually went for Liverpool Victoria. They have a 5* Defaqto insurance rating and were a Which? recommended provider from their most recent research. Their Premier Annual Multi Trip policy for family of 3, Europe only, cost just under £100 total. It includes up to 31 days winter sports and includes off piste. The 'crunch' comes if we ever need to make a claim and I'm rather cynical about all insurance companies these days. To supplement this, when skiing in France, we buy Carre Neige with our lift pass. That seems to be 2.8 euros per day 2013/14 and gives added peace of mind.
As always, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed inside my mitts!

I’ve had an LV annual travel policy for about 5 years now. I used them mainly because they covered pre-existing conditions without too much faffing about
I’ve not had to claim which, as you say, is where you really find out if the cover is any good. Also keep my fingers crossed!
snow report
10 years after starting this thread I’m still with LV.
Only had to claim once. That was dealt with fairly and payment was prompt.
I’ve also found their approach to cover with pre-existing conditions is reasonable.
The only thing is, with significant pre-conditions, it now costs as much to insure myself as it did a family of 3 a decade ago. Hey ho.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy