Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What now?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just come back from an excellent week in Soldeu where i had my first experience of deep powder 2 1/2 feet of it Very Happy but now i'm faced with the harsh reality that there will be no more skiing for me until next season as i've run out of money and holiday allowance for this year Sad

So my question is what do i do now to keep myself from going mad waiting for next season to arrive? How do you lot make it through the summer months? Maybe i'll just sell up and move to the north pole or something Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All addictions have cures, though skiing is one of the tougher ones.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be gald. If it was always permanently available, it would lose its magic.

Though you could go to the Alps in the summer and plan days...... or would that be ridiculously sad?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's a tricky one - keep visiting snowHeads where fellow addicts hang out!

I did suggest a 'Glacier' forum where we could collect in the summer - when I assume it will be a bit quieter around here snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish wrote:
Be gald. If it was always permanently available, it would lose its magic.

Though you could go to the Alps in the summer and plan days...... or would that be ridiculously sad?

I've done that Very Happy I quite often hike places in the summer and look at lines for the winter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
I did suggest a 'Glacier' forum where we could collect in the summer - when I assume it will be a bit quieter around here snowHead

Good idea, Ian - maybe we can all gather round one of Mr Goldsmith's caption competitions - just like the old days Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I go to Milton Keynes at least once a month in the summer, it's a bit like cheap methodone when you're used to crack, but it's better than nothing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The_Mac_Daddy, tempting to hibernate, I know, but do not dispair.
Try Grass Skiing (see also here )
If you are really serious you could try Grass Slalom
For boarders there is of course the SkateBoard , but the more adventurous could try SandBoarding .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anybody fancy going to Chile?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
anybody fancy going to Chile?

this looks fun: http://www.improveyourskiing.com/pages/chile_04.html

not sure i can get the holiday, but i did their trip to canada and am very tempted to follow up with this one...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bend Zinees, I'm strongly considering it for next summer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DavidS, looks like my stag do is sorted then - thanks for the link.

I wish!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DavidS, looks fantastic, now just need the nerve to phone up to find out the cost!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah, i've been putting that one off too...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a plan....... Smile
All i need to do now is pick those 6 lucky numbers on Saturday! Confused
snow report
I met a couple of guys in Tignes last December who did something very similar last summer and it sounded stunning. When we asked whether it was particulary expensive, one of the guys said it wasn't too bad, at least not until he'd had to fork out for a new kitchen for his wife who was very much staying at home!
snow report
I've not skied in S. America, but I've heard it said that the slopes of Argentina - namely its best resort Las Lenas - are superior. Another Argentinian ski resort is currently taking delivery of a brand new Austrian chairlift, as reported by Ski Press World. One way to get there cheaply is to travel sea freight with the chairlift, but it's too late now.
snow conditions
I too have felt like this since early February when I got back from La Plagne (who would'nt ?). I have considered another 'outing' but finances and other mundane things have prevented it. I find that looking at Snowheads and other ski sites only makes it worse (sorry about that) I think about it almost everyday. I think the answer to the question (apart from therapy) is get into something else thats equally exciting like sailing, mountain biking or whatever turns you on and forget about it until next year. Other than that I quite like the idea of summer skiing. Anyone else tried it and got any recommendations ?
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, Laughing I went skiing with a guy this year who had to buy a bathroom suite for his wife as "compensation" Exclamation

Would be interesting to see how much a trip like that would cost, might give them a call... This time last year i started looking into the costs of skiing in South America and the most expensive part was the flights to Santiago!
ski holidays
The locals here (french alps) do scree ski=ing in summer. A near vertical rock face covered with tiny marble sized stones makes a great alternative to a freshly bashed soft snowed piste if your desperate for a fix. A 2000ft hike is a downer as is the cuts and bruises as its compulsary to wear only t=shirt and shorts. Try the Lake District, there should be scree slopes around.
latest report
I too have felt like this since early February when I got back from La Plagne (who would'nt ?). I have considered another 'outing' but finances and other mundane things have prevented it. I find that looking at Snowheads and other ski sites only makes it worse (sorry about that) I think about it almost everyday. I think the answer to the question (apart from therapy) is get into something else thats equally exciting like sailing, mountain biking or whatever turns you on and forget about it until next year. Other than that I quite like the idea of summer skiing. Anyone else tried it and got any recommendations ?
latest report
I say head for Chile!

And if you didnt spend money forking out on useless things like kitchens and bathrooms then you'd have money to go skiing- its all about priorities!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-03-04 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ok... just found out the price of that trip to chile and its £3799, pretty much all inclusive apart from insurance and equipment.

Maybe next year Wink
snow report
seriously tho, what do people do in the summer?

In a keen hiker/climber bod, so ill be up in the highlands probably, fending off the midges...i tend to steer clear of ski resorts if i go to the alps in the summer, cos to be honest they are ugly with no snow!

Hoping to go to Corsica this summer to do some via ferrata, anyone have a similar summer lineup?
ski holidays
when summer approaches, I look forward to longer evenings and surfing (yes the North Berwick coast does provide some quality waves once in a while)...great adrenlin fix and kinda good for core strength and balance training + a great laugh...as a skier I love surfing, but never got the hang of snow-boarding - weird!
latest report
chris wrote:
The locals here (french alps) do scree ski=ing in summer. A near vertical rock face covered with tiny marble sized stones makes a great alternative to a freshly bashed soft snowed piste if your desperate for a fix. A 2000ft hike is a downer as is the cuts and bruises as its compulsary to wear only t=shirt and shorts.

Doubtless that will become screem ski=ing at some point then Wink

Glad to see another =er amongst us Laughing
latest report
WaistDeepInPow wrote:
ok... just found out the price of that trip to chile and its £3799, pretty much all inclusive apart from insurance and equipment.

I'm sure it's possible to ski a fortnight in Chile for a lot less than that! Surprisingly one of the big package operators (Crystal possibly) have recently started going there, and I seem to remember seeing brochure prices of between £1,400 and £2,000 for 2 weeks. I think these prices were for full-board and included lift pass. This is not really any more than most of us pay for two weeks in the Alps, and I expect the beer's cheaper than in Corchevel!

I've been seriously considering the Chile option for some time ....
snow report
Dave Burt, you're right. Crystals prices for Chile start at £1204 for 7 nights departing 12th & 19th June, and rise to £2996 for 14 nights departing between mid-July and mid-August. They are all full board, with lessons (7 day holidays) & lift passes included. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris wrote:
Try the Lake District, there should be scree slopes around.
Yes, Wasdale springs to mind straight away. Nice finish too, straight into Wast Water. Little Angel
ski holidays
Michelle, Dave Burt, Thanks, i'm in the process of looking into the costs of a DIY trip to Chile at the minute so i'll let you know how it compares
ski holidays
... although my other half, who doesn't ski, might not be too chuffed if not one of my 5 weeks annual holiday involved her! Though I suppose I can but ask.

Michelle - have you got a brochure in front of you? What's the price for 14 days, first 2 weeks of September?

!Me encanataria esquiar en Chile!
snow report
I spent a lot of last summer on the old ski club site chatting to folk which was good fun, and when I wasn't at work I entertain myself by sailing, kite buggying and climbing the odd hill for the view.

I bought a mountain bike last week, so should get a bit of fun through the summer. Also want to be super fit for my trip to Lake Louise in December.
snow report
Completely off topic...
Quote:

I bought a mountain bike last week, so should get a bit of fun through the summer. Also want to be super fit for my trip to Lake Louise in December.

I am a bit hazy about the precise geography but having gone that far you might want to try Kicking Horse for a day or two.

Well I liked it.
ski holidays
Dave Burt, departing 4th Sept for two weeks:
Portillo Grand £1945
Valle Nevado Lodge £2063
Puerta Del Sol £1727
Tres Puntas £1477
(+ my commission Wink )
snow report
Thanks Michelle! Not bad value at all (even with commission!).

Right, off to my Spanish class now.

"Las condiciones mejores se encuentran en las pistas de arriba"
snow conditions
The end of the ski season heralds the start of my busy time as a gardener and vegetable grower (60 potatoes and 28 shallots in today...carrots tomorrow). For fun, I was asked (whilst sitting on a chairlift in Tignes) to help create a kitchen garden for my ski instructor at her home in Serre Chev. Perhaps I could move out there and be a high altitude designer!

Nice dreaming...oh well, back to my rhubarb! Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy