Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
Light snow on the glaciers the last two nights.

Nordstau this weekend could bring upto 1m of snow in 72 hours according to wePowder...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stubai was lovely today probably 40 cm of fresh and a few sunny spells made it an unexpected joy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At least 20cms of snow in my garden (700m) since last night, and it's still going strong. The northern alps should be very good for the next few days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not so much here in Fieberbrunn, only about 1 cm overnight but still snowing (wettish) moderately.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow down to below 600m, all the mountains are caked in white, and pretty much all resorts should be skiable (if not open) atm. Had a great morning at Obergurgl with my parents yesterday, 30-40cm of pow, but awful visibility high up. Some of the lower pistes through the trees were closed (though 'not opened yet' rather than actively closed) were really really nice. By the sounds of it Stubai had a little more snow, 40-50cm, but then you can't stop at the Oetztaler Aquadome on the way back from Stubai wink

Sunny today, would be some great ski touring conditions if I had time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More light snow now; will hopefully get something fun done tomorrow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was snowing hard in Woergl on Tuesday night, so I went for a ski tour in Westendorf yesterday. Realised when I arrived that I'd forgotten my skins, didn't have time to head back to a glacier, so just booted up instead. 800 (soft snow) vertical metres before I ran out of time, with nearly 10kg of ski and binding on my backpack... There's plenty of snow up there though, much more than this time last year. 20cms on the lower slopes, 40cms higher up, most really good quality pow. Didn't find a single shark. They do have the snow cannons running though, which have created a hideous, hard crust over everything they're pointed at. Once again had to gopro set at a dodgy angle, but I salvaged two shots:

Light was fantastic!

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First picture is ace a bit of tilt-shift esque something happening there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, no idea what that is? Laughing

Another great day today, ski toured up into the Kalkkoegel (by Axamer Lizum). Here's a photo from last season; I went for the obvious couloir today (though there're loads more):

Day started off cold, but with glorious sun. Annoyingly the clouds then closed in and the light went a bit flat. Hopefully that's the start of the snow we're supposed to get tomorrow though.

I only managed to get 3/4 of the way up the couloir (reasonably long approach as the lifts don't open until tomorrow) before I had to head back to IBK to meet my gf. There'd been plenty of uphill traffic in the area, but still lots of room between tracks. Snow was ace; 20cms of really light pow on top of 20cms of older denser pow.

I'm really starting to love my new 193 4FRNT EHP's in these conditions. They're basically flat camber, with a tiny bit of tip rocker, even less tail rocker, and barely any sidecut; not the floatiest or surfiest ski, but they're just sooooo fast in powder! There's no resistance, no drag, no friction; like a hot knife through butter. Throw them sideways and they just carry on sliding at full speed, until you put an edge in. Awesome fun! Surprisingly nice to tour with too (considering they weigh 2.3kg or something each, and are mounted with barons which weigh even more); with the straight shape the tip is only about as wide as a 'normal' ski, so they fit in the skin track easily.

Did get a bit carried away at one point though. Not sure if I hit a shark, dove a tip, or whatever, but I had a pretty big tumble at full speed. Everything was fine, jsut got snow everywhere; obviously happened the one time I thought "no, screw it, no need to get my shell out the bag" before skiing down.

Some photos:

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
5cm of new snow on the car when I left work this morning, carried on until late Morning so maybe 10cm total; 15-20 up the mountain? Will have to wait 'til tomorrow to find out!

Axamer Lizum, Kuhtai and Patcherkofel are now open.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied at Axamer Lizum this morning, second day the lifts were open. Probably a little over half of them are running atm, servicing most pistes.

My pre-season fitness/eating regime must have been more effective than I'd thought, as I seem to have lost enough fat to need to actually think about layering now Confused (not that I was carrying much to begin with, maybe I need to up the potato ratio again lol). Only -10ºC, but I felt pretty cold.

Pistes were pretty hardpacked and not all that pleasant; busy with people skiing too fast on new race skis (busiest I've ever seen it). At least three people were carted off the mountain with injuries by lunchtime. My EHP's were definitely not the right tool for the job. They hold an edge fine (better than my beat up Bibbys anyway), but they don't really give much back skiing slowly on hard snow. Guess a 41m radius will do that...

There was still some pretty nice powder to be found just off the sides of the pistes, though there were plenty of sharks lurking in wait. Got the first real gouge out of the EHP's bases, but at least the subsequent bail gave my friends something to laugh about. They stayed on the pistes though, so I think I got the best of it. Photos below...

Nice view over Innsbruck, Nordkette standing proud above the city:

Some decent action to be had, but watch out for rocks...

Birgitzkoepfel/Nockspitze side looking really good. Lift isn't open yet, but several people had skinned up, and by the looks of it enjoyed nice powder turns on the way down:

Kalkkoegel looking lovely as always. The centre right couloir is the one I skied last Thursday. These mountains and the little hidden valley are such a playground: holds snow really well, perfect steep freeride terrain, enough rock around to provide visibility no matter how bad the weather:

Can't really complain too much at the leftovers:

Also got stuck on a broken chairlift for about 40 mins. Laphroaig saved the day; Prost!

--------------

Nordkette opened some lifts today too, though the upper couloirs remain closed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A friend (you know the one Dulcarama!) seemed to have a better time than me today, up at Stubai. Photos from Menno:

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And seemingly *touchwood* there might be quite a lot of snow coming next weekend...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, You're a lucky man Matt, can't believe snow is so good so early.......looking like the start of another great season.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
looks great, 40 minutes on a chairlift, no wonder you were freezing!
snow conditions
Urrgh, am currently watching snow fall and then get washed away by rain... I hate you! NehNeh
latest report
Markymark29, meh, come out and play!
snow report
So, having seen Menno's photos I decided to try Stubai again today. Unfortunately there'd been quite a bit of wind, and 90% of stuff offpiste was pretty messed up but it. On the plus side there was very little evidence of surface hoar formation (I'd been quite concerned about this given thin snowpack and v cold, clear weather). Also very very quiet, no sign of the crowds that were normal for the last couple of months.

Pistes were pretty hardpacked, and either unpleasantly wind-scoured or with nice wind-blown snow.

I'd hoped to check out a couloir on the Fernau side that I've had my eye on for a while, but alas it's not filled in enough yet (especially as the run-out goes straight over a heavily crevassed rollover!). Plan B involved another more straightforward/less interesting skin on the same side of the glacier, which being fairly wind protected still held some nice consolidated powder. Unfortunately as I started the traverse over to the area to start skinning a guided group started bootpacking up, so I missed out on total fresh tracks. Still nice snow though, with some fairly techy terrain further down the run to the Gamsgarten middle station.

Photos:

Meanwhile my gf went for a walk up Nordkette (bizarrely without skis) after finishing uni, and took a couple of nice photos.

Wintery woods:

And wintery city:

ski holidays
Light snow atm. Freezing level went up a bit overnight; was raining here at 700m. Pretty windy atm too.
latest report
Don't think we had any meaningful snowfall, but I was at work today so don't know what it was like higher up. Definitely a bit warmer though, +3ºC at 700m when I get home around 9pm. Brisk winds too.
latest report
I've been taking advantage of the poo-poo snow to get a load of studying done, so I have more free time when it finally snows again. However, I was really bored today and wanted to see how much my new Dynafits tour than my barons (answer - much MUCH better!), so I went for a mini ski tour at Nordkette - lift up, ski down as far as snow allows, skin back up again.

Mostly the snow is fairly hideous; either wind-crust or wind-scoured, though I did find one 20 metre long patch of powder. Yay rolling eyes

Nice beer and views afterwards though:

Though snow offpiste sucks, piste skiing is generally still fine. You can still ski right to the bottom of Patscherkofel (shown below), Axamer, Kuhtai and Stubai at least. Presumably plenty of others too.

DSC02841
snow report
Is it possible to post pics to here from an iPhone? Can anyone help me unravel this great mystery?! Lol wink
ski holidays
Humpfknick, you need to host them somewhere (Flickr, Facebook, the 'SnowHeads Media Zone,' etc) first, then copy the image address. Not sure if it's possible on a phone, on a computer right click on the image to get the adress then post that between the [img] [/img] tags.
snow conditions
clarky999, aha, why thank you! So I'm not losing my mind- the phone thing was completely baffling me wink
ski holidays
Ok, here goes..... Sunset in Soll at the weekend Happy

ski holidays
Beautiful day Happy
ski holidays

latest report
So time for a bit of an update...

After great October/November conditions, it hasn't really meaningfully snowed since. Due to a combination of being picky/spoiled about conditions and a lot of studying to do, I haven't really skied since early December - other than touring up Patscherkofel to camp for NYE then skiing down. Lost most of my photos from that night on my broken computer though.

However my gf has been skiing a fair bit recently, and has reported great piste conditions (grippy but not soft) at Obergurgl and Stubai. Probably due to the large amount of pre-season snow we had. She went for a ski tour recently where things also didn't look too bad... Her photos:

This past week has felt like spring; been able to sit in the garden with just a normal jumper on without getting cold.

However it now looks like winter is making a bit of a comeback; it's snowing at Stubai (according to webcams), and it's just started snowing in my garden - for the first time since November!

I'm off to Japan on Thursday so won't be skiing here until February now, but hopefully things pick up for any of you guys coming out on holiday soon!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stopped snowing now. About 8cms on my neighbours cars when I got home for work, so maybe 15-20 higher up. At least everything is white again now!
snow conditions
Overnight rain here at the flat on Friday led to about 15cms of new snow at Nordkette yesterday. Seems it's been skied very little this season, as the base was very smooth - not that you feel it with 135mm under each foot wink

At some point last night the rain turned to snow down here, so we have maybe 5cms of snow at 700ish metres; should be a decent amount up on the hill but I'm stuck indoors finishing an assignment. Supposed to carry on snowing until tomorrow though, which should be good...
ski holidays
Had a great day last week in Obertilliach (Öst Tirol); just two hours drive from Innsbruck but SO much more snow this season:

TR here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108495

There was another 15cms of snow overnight at Nordkette on the 13th, then clear blue sky on the 14th. Luckily my gf wanted to goo skiing for Valentines Day Cool Had a really great morning hitting some of my secret stashes. Not as much choice as past years due to the low tide, but coverage off-piste is already quite a lot better than when I got back from Japan 10 days ago.

Now raining at the flat, and snowing up on the hill. Some friends from uni are visiting me atm so will probably head up to Schlick2000 today.
snow report
Snowed all day at Schlick yesterday, rained alls ay and night at the flat, which turned to snow overnight; Nordkette is gonna be ON today!!
ski holidays
Not quite as much snow at Nordkette as expected, but still a good 20cms (enough to not feel the base). Good visibility for most of the morning, and I really enjoyed showing my mate around my 'back garden.' We got the first lift up, and by the time we left around 11 there were still only two other people skiing offpiste. No powder stress, untracked snow, couloirs, and nice steep terrain. Happy days.

Couple of gopro screen grabs:

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-02-14 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Also very surprised about how versatile my Down CD1s are turning out to be - at 135mm underfoot they're basically my go to ski for anything over 10cm of fresh snow. Only ski I've used since getting back to Europe, and never wished I was on anything else. Not what I expected...
ski holidays
Quick video from Nordkette the other week:

Backyard Party: Nordkette Ski Edit from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/87421053
snow conditions
Well, there was a little bit of snow last week, and some places got more than others. Obergurgl got about 50cms... Annoyingy through one thing and another (work and a pulled muscle in my back) I didn't get to ski it.

Spring has well and truly sprung now; it's very warm and sunny. Nordkette is pretty much over for the season now, unless April turns very snowy. Snow up there is just ruined, and melting quickly.

Had a good day at Stubai yesterday though, nice soft (but not yet slushy) pistes, and some nice spring snow in places. We also managed to scavenge a few of the remaining powder stashes, but nothing too exciting:

Last powder stashes at Stubai from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/88565903

Off to the Dolomites for a week with my family today; when I get back touring season should be in full swing Very Happy
ski holidays
Great day lapping the Paznauner Thaya (or something like that) lift in Ischgl today. 40 cms of surprisingly light snow, enough base to ski in the trees (no visibility), and constant re-filling of our tracks. Mellow meadow skipping type terrain (though with lots of little pillows and small airs), but lots of fun to rip around as a group with no stress about competition or avalanches. Hippy party powder at it's best.

It was snowing right down to the city this morning, though has since warmed a little and is raining down there now (still snow here at 700m though). Where to go tomorrow?
ski holidays
My mate Bernie's edit from yesterday in Ischgl; well worth a watch! A lot of work went into making it (too much for me, so I'll stick to unintrusive POV NehNeh), but the footage turned out really well!

Patience... Rewards Will Follow! from Sqikunst
https://vimeo.com/89881383
snow report
And today was an absolute poo-poo load of fun. Lots of new snow at Axamer Lizum (unto 50cms), and very few people. After noticing a few recent slides (including one dude set off a fairly big slab that ran straight into a large terrain trap - luckily he skied out the side) we spent the day ripping high speed high angulation mellow pow. There was enough snow down low to ski the route the whole way back to the village of Axams; 1400 vertical metres of powdery goodness. So good we got the bus back up to do it again!

The steeper lines in the Kalkkögel will be epic tomorrow, but unfortunately I have to work. Hopefully there'll be some good leftovers on Wednesday...
snow report
That does indeed look very, very nice. Thanks for posting.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy