Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 13/14

Poster: A snowHead
Samerberg Sue,
Junior does a good shoulder massage apparently. He'll sort you out in no time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shoulder is not ready for massage yet musher. Maybe in another month when the internal stitches are finally properly bedded in!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, You might want to change the title of your thread to 14/15.......that way you'll get more views from folks like me keen to look at the inevitable endless photos of you in the near future enjoying yourself in all that early season pow, whilst thinking of the next 4 months chugging by wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just change the thread title to "Clarky's reverse Schadenfreude thread 14/15" wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, ah no that sucks! At least you'll be fit for the main season though!

DB, Laughing

Markymark29, I'm moving to Montafon on Sunday so sadly there won't be an Innsbruck 14/15 thread! I'm sure Montafon will provide plenty of opportunities for photo-slutting though wink Does mean limited early season glacier skiing though Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, Bummer eh?! wink Looking forward to "Montafon 14/15" thread then............ was driving around there late August and it looks like a land of opportunity. Good luck with the new job and Vorarlberg life...... home of Mohren Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow on the very peak of the Patcherkofel today Smile

Lets hope the snow comes early this year as its been such a miserable summer compared to last year in Innsbruck. Im hoping this precipitation continues all winter - fingers crossed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiorboard, It's going to be an epic 12/13 style winter, I just know, dont know how, just do.............. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29, I've got a feeling it is going to be too. Then again i get this feeling every year snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^Thanks Mark!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 13-09-14 20:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well today ended up being unexpectedly great!

Me and my mate Andy dragged ourselves up to Stubai at around lunchtime with horrible hangovers, to find pretty poor visibility but only about 10 people on the whole mountain. Hangovers dissappeared with the first turns though! I've had (apart from some repeated cowdoo with my ex) one of the best summers I've had in a long time so I wasn't really in too much of a rush for winter, but wow, I'd forgotten just how JOYFUL skiing is!! Only a few lifts open, but with empty slopes and 10cms of fairly dense new snow on a smooth base conditions were really nice, with plenty of fresh tracks to be had just off the sides of the pistes (careful, there ARE crevasses about). We just spent the afternoon ripping about hollering like Americans much to the lifties amusement. SOOOO good to be back on snow!! Fell in love with my Bibby Pros all over again too; such a great do it all ski.

------------------------------------

On a more sober note, WOW the glaciers have shrunk!!! So many more rocks and bigger (wide open!) crevasses about than now than at the same point in the last 3 seasons. Lack of snowfall last season really has had an impact, even with a cooler than average summer (though I don't know how much of this summer's plentiful precipitation has fallen as rain/snow at the glacier?).

With the current extreme low tide there are a couple things anyone visiting soon should really bear in mind, which are much more of an issue now than they've been at any point that I've seen since 2009. If you're out early season and you don't know the terrain be VERY careful exploring offpiste - there are places where being a few metres away from the piste puts you right in the middle of a yawning crevasse field. Do some research (google earth is actually pretty useful in this case for noting the most heavily crevassed areas) and ask the lifties (they're pretty helpful in this regard) before going out to play. It's also worth noting that there's a lot of very smoothly polished rock at Stubai, which snow slides off very easily. Regardless of whether enough snow moves to to really avalanche, you don't want to be traversing over these areas as getting dropped elbow first onto rock bloody hurts (lessons learnt from late last season!).

----------------------------------
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Back at Stubai today, and the weather has NOT been kind to the glacier the last week! Even the open pistes are currently a mix of glacial ice, meltwater, rocks, dirt, tiny patches of nice slushy snow and iceball death cookies...

Definitely type 2 fun, but fun nonetheless - it's pretty involving skiing, carry speed into total unknown conditions and make last second decisions of when to ollie over puddles/rocks/cracks, where you have room to slash a quick turn or dump speed etc.

Also really interesting to see where the crevasses are. Totally on show atm, which is useful info for when the snow comes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love to see some pics and/or vid if you can please.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, I forgot my memory card and don't the cable to get the photos from the internal memory here, but the webcams show things pretty accurately.

Everything you see on the first cam is currently open (the Windachferner area, Wildspitz lift and Dauenferner drag/pistes also opened this weekend):

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/ger/Winter/Stubai-Live/Webcams

The conditions are right on the limit of being 'openable' atm; without snow next week I doubt they'll be running lifts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stubai Glacier.. Reckon that will be gone within 10years
latest report
stanton, I dunno, seems to have been fairly stable in the last 10 years, without much in the way of mass flux (if anything over the last four autumns coverage has been better each year) - based purely on my observations and no measurements though. Definitely hit very hard this summer, but the Fernau side, Windachferner and what I could see of the skin access glaciers seem to be a bit healthier.

Time will tell, but it could definitely do with a few good snow years!!
snow report
Absolutely pissing down with rain now, and down to 5° when on the arlberg pass when I was driving back to Schruns this evening, so it looks like the glaciers will be getting the snow that they need!!
ski holidays
Certain areas of Austria have experienced storms with high winds and hail stone today. (up to 30cm)

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Liveticker-So-stuermisch-beginnt-der-Herbst/158709292
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy