Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
April 23. Likely to be my last day on the North Face of the Bellecote. Went down the Cairn Couloir with a traverse towards the middle to reach some untracked snow and back into the Canadian Couloir at the bottom to miss the cliffs.

After a freeze the night before the pistes on the way over were firm and easy to ski. By the time we returned to the pistes around 1pm the snow was very soft and slushy in most places.

The North face in these conditions was a challenge so not many photos of the steeper section, to busy making sure I did not make a mistake with my skiing. The new snow from the day before had freshened up the off piste nicely and although difficult at times to ski with a number of slides on the face to cross, it was still a great way to finish what has turned out to be a good season.

Time for an easier day tomorrow and maybe a little snowboarding as well.

If you would like to see the photos from today take a look in the 'Last Week of the Season 2014' Album.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_albums
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just posted today's photos. What a difference to the forecast of last night. They predicted rain by midday, but instead we had sunshine and warm temperatures most of the day.

Rather than a short day on my board some of us went for a tour of La Plagne with a nice lunch stop above Champagny.

Managed to cover most high spots and ski stations in La Plagne and although the snow is now thin in some places we had little problem getting around and for the end of April conditions are still very good higher on the mountains.

The forecast is for rain again tomorrow, I shall just have to wait and see before deciding what to do in the morning this time.

If you want to see the photos of conditions around La Plagne check out the 'Last Week of the Season 2014' Album.

We finished the day with a drink at the Altiport and some nice entertainment on the waterslide. My last time on the waterslide today and sorry to have to report that I am still dry! I know how much some of you would like to see me fall in!! especially when trying to splash people. Maybe next year!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
April 26. The last day of the season in Les Arcs. Blue sky, no wind and a little dusting of fresh snow up high. Few people around and able to ski to most stations, even a little spring snow off piste. Perfect for the end of April. Just posted the photos for today.

Skied all over Les Arcs today including Arc 1800, down to Peisey and then Vallandry followed by a ski across the domain to the top of Aiguille Rouge. Down to Arc 2000 and finally the waterslide before heading back to Arc 1600 and home. Even managed to see a little of the Slalom race in the Arc 2000 Stade and the special Event in the Arc 2000 bowl down the Piste nature area of the Robert Blanc.

Pity the season has to end with more snow tonight already falling high on the mountain. Maybe I should get the skins out!!

Been a good season in the end. Hope everyone I skied with had as much fun as I have and look forward to seeing many of you again next season. Have a good summer.

Thanks to Rosie, Gordon, Tom and Totty for their help and support this season. Remember if you are passing through Bourg or staying in the Valley their ski and snowboard shop is right by the Funicular. Visit their web page for further details.

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a really interesting analysis of the snow this winter on the Pisteurs facebook page:

Quote:

Les mesures sont réalisées entre le 1er décembre et le 28 avril.
Les moyennes sont entre parenthèses (depuis 1982).

- Cumul Total de neige : 436 cm (552cm) ;
- 68jours de neige (58j) ;
- chute >10cm : 21j (20j) ;
- chute>20cm : 4j (9j) ;
- chute>30cm : 0j (4j)
- LA chute maximale en 24h : 25cm le 16/02 (49cm)

- Température moyenne de l’hiver : -0,7°c (-3,3°c)

Dec : 49cm (103) ; -2,2° (-4,5°)
Janv : 91cm (142) ; -2,3° (-4,4°)
Fev : 207cm (127) ; -3,1° (-5,1°)
Mars : 62cm (110) ; +0,3° (-2,5°)
Avril : 24cm (80) ; +3,8° (+0,3°)

so less snow than average, more frequent snowfalls than average, warmer than average, February was the snowiest, no big snowfalls. That sounds about right!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get yourself to Hokkaido ArseCaptain.

We had more than that in January alone.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ArseCaptain wrote:
There's a really interesting analysis of the snow this winter on the Pisteurs facebook page:

Quote:

Les mesures sont réalisées entre le 1er décembre et le 28 avril.
Les moyennes sont entre parenthèses (depuis 1982).

- Cumul Total de neige : 436 cm (552cm) ;
- 68jours de neige (58j) ;
- chute >10cm : 21j (20j) ;
- chute>20cm : 4j (9j) ;
- chute>30cm : 0j (4j)
- LA chute maximale en 24h : 25cm le 16/02 (49cm)

- Température moyenne de l’hiver : -0,7°c (-3,3°c)

Dec : 49cm (103) ; -2,2° (-4,5°)
Janv : 91cm (142) ; -2,3° (-4,4°)
Fev : 207cm (127) ; -3,1° (-5,1°)
Mars : 62cm (110) ; +0,3° (-2,5°)
Avril : 24cm (80) ; +3,8° (+0,3°)

so less snow than average, more frequent snowfalls than average, warmer than average, February was the snowiest, no big snowfalls. That sounds about right!

Wow.. interesting ! Just shows how little snow overall. What was the year before? Trying to locate that. An average year in the US seems to be a good year in Europe !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alex A wrote:
Wow.. interesting ! Just shows how little snow overall. What was the year before? Trying to locate that. An average year in the US seems to be a good year in Europe !

Well, I would say that depends

This season the southern side of the Alps got buried under meters and again meters of snow.
The most extreme examples are Passo Tonale (upper slopes up till 6 metres) and Madesimo.

See this trip report, 3rd week of april!!! from Madesimo http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=51009

village level, end of april
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just saw this post. For anyone wondering like me. THE PICTURES above ARE NOT Les Arcs. Not sure why it was necessary to post photos of another resort on this thread. Guess it gives a comparison, but not really necessary to post photos and risk confusion in my opinion. We all know there are different amounts of snow everywhere. I was in Chamonix at the start of May and still able to ski on the higher slopes, but that is nothing strange. I do this at the end of most seasons and normally always find conditions better when skiing nearer to Mt Blanc at this time of year.

Now for an update of Les Arcs.

Just uploaded the first photos for the summer season in Les Arcs and the Paradiski area. Go to the Summer 2014 Album on the Les Arcs Paradiski Summer page (link below) if you are interested in seeing how the development work in Arc 1800 is going and the new VTT route down to Arc 1800 from the top of the cachette. More to follow when i get the time. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

It was very dusty in Arc 1800 and not sure what playing golf will be like in those conditions although the course did look good. There was also a big route change for this summer to get round the building works both for bikers and hikers. However the resort should be better in the future so fingers crossed the work is finished by the start of next winter as they say on one of the signs.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-07-14 8:56; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Coming out next weekend - very excited!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jenniper, if you fancy meeting up for a bike ride or just a beer I am around at the weekend if the weather is good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I left Les Arcs on Sunday afternoon. The funicular and cachette lift were running, the bike hire shop at the place of the dead tree in 1600 was open and a few snack bars open for lunch. Fernand who owns the Cairn restaurant says he is opening this week for the summer season. And there seemed to be a few people about. Sadly the bakers in 1600 is up for sale.

But I didn't have a chance to see the redevelopment in 1800.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy wrote:
Jenniper, if you fancy meeting up for a bike ride or just a beer I am around at the weekend if the weather is good.

We'll be in Villard Dessus for the first week but then in Bourg from 19th-26th - will you be around then?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last snow of the winter or 1st snow of next winter today?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First, let's be optimistic
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
woohoo, winter is here Very Happy
snow conditions
Brrrrrr....... but - no joke - have got bookings made already - can't wait, but will have to!
ski holidays
Hi folks. My last update for a while. Anyone that is coming out, please do add details and/or photos worth sharing with other readers.

Just posted some more photos of Les Arcs Paradiski area from last weekend. Take a look in the Summer 2014 album.

Good news for those coming to Arc 1800, they have stopped all the heavy lorry movement during the holiday period so it will not be as dusty as it was when I past through last week.

Make sure and go to Bar King Mad bar at the Villard end of Arc 1800 whilst you are on holiday in Les Arcs. A great place to stop for lunch.

They have started the next building phase in Arc 2000 and it was dusty there again, even on Sunday. The new hotel may be finished by 2015, but they say the underground parking should be ready by this coming winter.

The new ADS centre on the road between Arc 1600 and Arc 1950 is worth a visit. See how all the lift money is spent. They have a shop and information centre.

The bike routes all around the domain are in good conditions. Have done them all now. The green routes are great for beginners and the Black down to Bourg is a real challenge. I really liked the new Blue 'Legend' track across to Arc 1800 from the cachette. Fast and twisty. Mind the wet corners. The Bike park in Arc 1600 under the cachette chair is good fun with some big drops to test your skills.

The golf course is in good condition despite the building nearby. The hiking as always is excellent and the mountain refuges in the area are now open for lunch stops or over night stays.

There are loads of sports to do in the mountains, to many to mention them all, but two of my favourites are still the 'white water rafting' and 'canyoning' in the valley.

Check out the tourist office web page for all details.

http://www.lesarcs.com/en.html

Whatever you are doing when you come out, have fun and enjoy the summer. Most of the time it is very warm.
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
They have started the next building phase in Arc 2000 and it was dusty there again, even on Sunday. The new hotel may be finished by 2015, but they say the underground parking should be ready by this coming winter.

I was wondering when they were going to start. Nothing we can do about it but it will block our view slightly. For those interested this new build is being built by the same crowd that own the place we bought 'La Cime' which is beside the Lanchette lift. They also own a few other bits of Arcs 2000. The new place is being built on the slope to the left of the free Cabriolet lift as you come up from 1950 to 2000. It shows they would build on a 6 pence up there.

The underground parking is mostly there already as when they built phase 2 of ours they dug up the whole area and put the parking in. It accessed via ours, you can see it when in the underground car park, it is just closed off.

The official web site. Looks great views from the front of Bois De L'Ours, they negate to show the apartments behind that had views that are completely blocked.

http://www.chaletdesneiges.com/uk/index.php#galerie-photos-devenez-proprietaire.php
snow report
They do seem to messing up Arc 2000. The bars and restaurants along the front used to be one of the best places in the Alpes to sit and have a coffee or a beer gazing up towards the Aiguille Rouge with that beautiful sweep of mountain with the sun shining down on you. Now all you see is the the bowling alley and the apartments above. I just ski through.

thefatcontroller, the chaletdesneiges web site made me smile. I liked the double beds that appeared to fold up into the space between the wardrobes; last seen in 1960's comedy films, but I wasn't so keen on the low walls around the bathroom and toilet. I would prefer them to go the full height of the apartment. Oh and more doors than Whitehall farce. Great
ski holidays
johnE, In fairness we did buy one of their apartments and the build quality is fantastic. Might be build spec because of the height and the weather conditions but the walls are 2 foot thick and you can never hear anything in any of the other apartments. Admittedly what is on the plans doesn't quite correspond to what was built but if you ask questions you just get used to the French shrug of shoulders. Toofy Grin
latest report
thefatcontroller, are you losing a view over the valley?
latest report
johnE, This is our view so Bois De L'Ours run blocked but it is in the distance so not a real issue. We came very close to buying the apartment to the left of our as you look out. That had a view up the whole 2000 bowl, at least it had till they built phase 2 and blocked it, so we were lucky.

snow report
It looks as if you will have a good view blocked.

Our apartment is in 1600 and looks right across the Isere with Mont Blanc and aiguille du glaciers in the distance. If we peer down we have a good view of Bourg st Maurice and the roofs of the the Plan Devin apartments. We cannot see any pistes, however. Arc 1600 is not very fashionable so I suspect we will not have any new buildings blocking our view
ski holidays
The plans I saw from the tourist office at Easter had it as a 40 apartment building... initially it looks more than that on the website, but when you count the balconies probably isn't.
latest report
johnE wrote:
It looks as if you will have a good view blocked.

Kind of true but this is the view from the bedrooms on the other side. We bought the place as it is at 2,200m, snowsure and has 5 lifts more or else outside the front door so yes disappointed to lose the view of Bois but prefer having lift 10 feet from front door. Been learning to board over the last while so have been using 1600 more and more, Arpette down to 1600 and Mont Blanc run is a great stretch. Also worst case the bus service from 1600 to 200 is great. Using Peisey side less and less.

Arctic Roll Def 40, but still amazed as to how narrow a space and difficult a space it is to get to, yet alone build on.
snow report
thefatcontroller, I find the bus service surprisingly useful having lost count of the number of times I missed the last lift in 1800 (at almost 6pm that takes some doing) or just couldn't be bothered to wait for combourcier lift.

Is the Arpette run the same as Sources?
snow conditions
johnE, Yes the bus service around Les Arcs is little understood and very, very handy.

The run I mean is from the top of the Bois Chair, along the flat at the top and down to the run that takes you by the water slide, then the long flat section (a real test when learning to board and then whatever you fancy down into 1600 itself.
ski holidays
I think the bus service is little understood because the stops, particularly in 1800 are in really obscure places. I often have to guide people to the bus stop in 1800 and tell them about the connection to 2000 at 1600. It is probably intended more for shopping and getting to accommodation than as part of the ski lift service..

The easy way from 2000 to 1600 on a board is to go down cascades, up the combourcier lift then down mont blanc. Then, of course if the snow is good, to continue down to the funicular mid station.

We had a walk around Courbaton when we in Les Arcs a couple weeks ago and there was a lot of new chalets being built there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE, The route we take is more testing and a longer run. Comborciere is a chair to be avoided.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Isnt there plans to replace the Comborciere - have used it several times but it is a little on the slow side and we tend to avoid it now..
ski holidays
There always appear to be plans to replace comborciere, but apart from the upgrade from the original drag 30 odd years ago nothing seems to happen. OK it is slow, but it is fairly scenic the action below is often entertaining and the queues (except at the end of the day) are never bad. Personally I would always choose a slow lift with no queue over a fast one with a queue even if it was actually slower getting to the top.

Avoiding Comborciere will mean avoiding a couple of the best runs in Les Arcs - Comborciere itself (the alternative entry also involves a slow chair) and Malgovert, which is thought by many to be one of the finest runs in the resort. It also seems to attract the most cheerful lifties I have ever come across. I usually take it at least once a day.
snow conditions
johnE, MogulMonkey, Not sure about Comborciere but Pre Saint Esprit is supposed to be replaced by Winter 2015. That is one slowww lift. 15 mins and a boring lift. Comborciere is nearly 15 mins too but at least you can watch people struggle on the run under you. For the record I hate Malgovert Skullie . Does nothing for me sorry.
snow conditions
Thanks for the updates people. I'm definitely intending to come here next season probably mid December or April.
snow report
jkchops, Just check when the resort opens. It usually opens for the last 2 weeks of December and the last 3 or 4 weeks of April.
snow report
I will do Smile Last year it opened on 14th December so hopefully it will open from 13th December this year as thats when i've got a week booked off work to go skiing somewhere. If i went in April it would be the first week or two.
ski holidays
Just posted another set of photos over on my Les Arcs Paradiski summer facebook page.

If you want to see the building work in Arc 2000 close up or the progress in Arc 1800 take a look in the Summer 2014 photo album. Other news is that they seem to be putting more snow canons on the piste down to Villaroger. Plus loads of soil on different pistes all over the place. Well they have to put all the earth they are digging up somewhere. Should make the pistes nice and smooth for this winter.

On a bad note. Having already had a go at the Tour Ops for leading around the pistes in the winter (really stupid IMO to stop them doing this, my friends that run bars are not happy about the loose of clients at lunch time either).Then the stopping of the SCGB leaders for this coming season (not such a bad thing as many of the leaders that come to Les Arcs do not know the place so should not be going off piste anyway, basic common sense). Then they started arresting people last season for 'teaching' for money without the French recognised qualifications even if they were qualified Instructors in Austria, Switzerland etc. ( why do you need to be a world cup race skier to teach beginners?). Now this summer the French have started to have a go at those British companies that run Mountain bike trips here. These British guys were the ones that really got the whole commercial Mountain bike holiday thing going here in Les Arcs before the French even started doing it. They are all well qualified to international standards and many of them helped find the VTT routes which the resort now advertise. I think the whole anti competition issue is getting out of hand. I hope the VTT guys win their court case. They are better qualified and experieneced than many of the French guys.

I will post more when news about the progess of the building works and lifts etc plus this latest anti competition issue when I have some more news. Hope you are all having a good summer. The golf course in Les Arcs is in great condition because of all the rain last month. Now it needs to stay dry so we can enjoy the course in the sunshine.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, Fairly sure the 'hidden rooms' in the Arcs 2000 building photos were put in 2 summers ago when the 2nd phase of La Cime by the Lanchette lift was built. if I remember right I saw photos at the time where they had dug up the whole of the open area across to what they knew they were due to build. La Cime is part of the Chalet Des Neiges group who are building the apartments. The way to parking for the new build will be through La Cime. Think these hidden room are actually the parking for the new build
Hope ok but given a direct take from the photo album of the building work. They would build on a 6pence out there. good sign however all the building as it shows the property market is back. This work was supposed to be finished 2 years ago but they stopped when the markets crashed.

Photos linked from here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.787001411330535.1073741827.236612893036059&type=1

ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Interesting. I shall have to look up my old photos from two years back and see if I can spot the rooms on them. I hope you are right about the property market picking up again. Shall have to see next winter.

How did you upload my photos and link them to this page? I think it is a good idea, but not sure how to do it. Loading them the normal way just takes to long and I do not have that amount of free time most days. If you know of a quick way I will post photos here again, but otherwise I will still just put the link for people to click on.

Oh yes, nearly forgot. For anyone coming out over the remainder of the summer. The weather is great again. Since I have been back, a group of us have been Mountain Biking one day. Had a Hike to the Five Lakes. Today 14 of us went Rafting. Tomorrow we will go Canyoning which is a real laugh. Friday Mountain Biking. Saturday Golf. Sunday Via Ferreta. Monday Kayaking. Tuesday Hydro speed (wave surfing). Wednesday Ice climbing on the glacier. Then either Canoe Raft or maybe the new Inflatable kayak raft down the rapids. That looks amazing! An overnight hike and bivy in the high mountains, a real challenge! Rock climbing. Absailing. Horse Riding in the mountains. Parcour (high ropes course in the trees). Parapente. And these are just the things we have planned so far. There really are loads of things to do if you are a sporty person. You can do something different every day for two weeks so you never get bored and still have time to sit by the pool and get the sun while relaxing with a little drink. Life does not get much better than this!

Plus the best thing, it really is summer again. Blue sky, warm temps 28+ degrees in the valley today and not windy.

For those that have never been to the alps I would recommend you give it a try. Very Happy If you want to find out more take a look at my Les Arcs Summer facebook page.

ski holidays
For all those that read my comment earlier regarding Trailaddiction and the court case they are now involved with. Here are the details direct from Trailaddiction themselves. Well worth a read as it brings the whole legal issue of working in France for any outdoor activity under the spotlight. If you come to Les Arcs, please give them your support.

http://trailaddiction.com/les-arcs-mountain-bike-guides-and-guiding/legal-battle-right-work-france-uk-qualified-mountain-bike-guide/
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
thefatcontroller, Interesting. I shall have to look up my old photos from two years back and see if I can spot the rooms on them. I hope you are right about the property market picking up again. Shall have to see next winter.

How did you upload my photos and link them to this page? I think it is a good idea, but not sure how to do it. Loading them the normal way just takes to long and I do not have that amount of free time most days. If you know of a quick way I will post photos here again, but otherwise I will still just put the link for people to click on.

I use Google Chrome, so I right clicked on the photo in Facebook and an option to 'copy image url' comes up. I did that, pasted the img url into the post here and tagged the ends with the [img] tags....and all done. Took 2 seconds and if you put your post in preview mode and highlight the link and click the 'img' button above it does it for you.

You should still link to your Facebook page as well, you don't want to lose the ownership.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy