Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Central Hokkaido, Japan 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
In one moth I will stay there. Come on!!!

Thank you Mag Seven for all information.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing much to report up here, other than beautiful weather. There's enough snow, so most ski areas are open, but its definitely not the deep December powder you'd expect this far into the season. Not much snow in the forecast either until next week.

Clear blue skies but no fresh snow

We went into Sapporo last night for some shopping and dinner, and to see the (really tacky) 'White Illuminations' in Odori Park. The pavements in the city were lethal - sheet ice thanks to the clear skies and low temperatures.

Odori Park and TV Tower

I'm not too gutted about the lack of snow as we're heading back to the UK tomorrow for Christmas and New Year. First time back in nearly 2 years. Looking forward to a good pint and lots of cheese! Returning to Hokkaido in early Jan. Hopefully by then the big winter snowstorms will have arrived and my hand will be fully on the mend. I'm keen to make up for lost time.

Latest hand X-Ray

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year. Looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of the Snowheads coming to Hokkaido this winter!

Santa making a delivery to the Sapporo Beer Factory!

Merry Christmas!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bon voyage and Nadolig LLawen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers! And メリークリスマス!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone can give actually information about hokkaido?

My planning trip

6 days in niseko area I will stay annapuri. I would like visit 1 Rusutsu 1 moiwa and
another days
Niseko united or repeat, rusutsu o moiwa.

Then I will travel to Asahikawa for 2 nights and spent 1 days kamui and another asahidake or furano depend of weather.

Then 4 nights in Sapporo for 3 days to ski in kiroro, teine,kokusai
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What do you want to know? Are you going to have a rental car?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds a great trip. Go for it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I won't have a car. Do you recomend me? Maybe I could make one chance ine day more in Asahikawa for one less: n Niseko.

Can you give me your opinion please?
Another question is minimal level for Asahidake. I'm strong intermediate or low advanced. That is real level I have been 17 season . 2 season 1 month in Tirol . I would like fresh snow powder but I don't like extrem terrain with big cliff or similar. Dificult no problem but no extrem.

I would like find some friends for Asahidake day , Japanese or visit in Asahidake are friendly with people alone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably wouldn't need to have a car in the Niseko area, but it would make travelling around the Asahikawa area a lot easier if you have one for that part of your trip.

Asahidake would be fine for your ability level I'm sure, there are plenty of more mellow areas. The weather can be very changeable and complete whiteouts / blizzards are not uncommon, so buddying up with someone who knows the area is a good idea.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks a lot off for your help.

I will go one day to kamui links from Asahikawa, there are ski bus with good price. Asahidake another day ( depend of weather) but weather I will go to Furano.

5 nights in Niseko+ 2 Asahikawa+ 4 Sapporo.

I will arrive monday early to newchitose at 13:00 in Annapuri so I could enjoy of the snow this day.

Then 4 complete days for enjoy of this area ( moiwa,rusutsu,niseko united
) the last day I will take my bus to Sapporo at 16:20 so I could enjoy all morning.

I will arrive around 20:00 then I will take train to Asahikawa, I will arrive very later arround 22:00 but my hotel is close to station and they aren't problem with late check in.

2 nights there( I'm thinking chance for one night more. What is your opinion?

And finally 4 or 3 nights in Sapporo . I will visit kiroro and Teine.

I will take my fly on friday at 12:00 fir this reason my last days will be in Sapporo. I prefer stay near to the airport.

Then stopover in Tokio for 1 day and my fly for return Spain will be saturday night.

All this my plan

I don't want rent car because will be my first time in Japan so I prefer no drive. There area lot of chance with relationship to Spain, driving un the left is more problem for me. Ice and snow no problem in Tirol driving a big Van in mountains so I have a lot off experience in drive in snow.

Thanks for all Mag if you interesting in take one day of snow with me during my holidays will be fantastic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What are the dates of your trip? If I'm around and our movements match up, I'd be happy to ski with you!

I'm not sure about buses in Asahikawa I'm afraid, I drive. In Sapporo I've heard the resort buses are really convenient.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I will arrive 20 th of January my fly will land 9:00, then bus to Annspuri I will stay here 6 days. 25 of January I will go to Asahikawa , 2 nights here and then 4 nights in Sapporo 27 of january to 31of january my fly will be 12:00.

So 20 to 25 Niseko area

26 and 27 Asahikawa there are good conection bus to kamui and Asahidake
28 to 30 sapporo area I booked ski bus day for 29 of January in Kiroro
31 of January maybe I could book rusutsu,kiroro or teine skibus day
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
28 maybe Teine because I don't need prebooking , I understand that it's acces from sapporo in public transport.

I would like have more days but I don't have more holidays so all is that.

This trip is my personal dream " powder champge Hokkaido"

Can you give information about Niseko gates?

Are there serius back country?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
keivancas wrote:
28 maybe Teine because I don't need prebooking , I understand that it's acces from sapporo in public transport.

I would like have more days but I don't have more holidays so all is that.

This trip is my personal dream " powder champge Hokkaido"

Can you give information about Niseko gates?

Are there serius back country?

Fingers crossed that you get the goods.

There are a number of backcountry access gates in the Niseko Resort Area (l-r as you look up the mountain from the village, Moiwa, Annupuri, Niseko Village, Grand Hirafu, Hanazono).

The only "monitored" area is the Mizunosawa area in Niseko Village where you have to go through a safety talk and ski with a guide first time.

Otherwise it's exit the gates at your own risk when they're open.

Many people go outside of the ski areas without an avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe, experience & knowledge.

And come back safe.

I strongly recommend you take all necessary precautions before leaving the ski area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always off piste with safety equipament. Thanks mike pow. I 'm reading every day in snowjapan forums, thanks for your information and photos.

Are you working in Niseko as guide? Or only holidays?
ski holidays
I asked about difficult of terrain no rules of B.C.

I would like rent safety equipament for all me trip. In nieski there many shops fir rent it but new chitose or sapporo or asahikawa?
snow conditions
My pleasure keivancas.

Here for the winter, ski instructor.

There are some steeper sections outside the gates but pretty much it's 25-35 degree open bowls and trees.
latest report
Just got back to Hokkaido. A whole lot more snow around here than when we left a couple of weeks ago!

Big snowstorm in the forecast for Friday, so I'm looking forward to the weekend!
snow conditions
Thank you mike pow. Maybe I must book a off piste tour with one niseko powder academy, but I woukd like first meet the terrain and then book day tour.
ski holidays
Fought through the jetlag to hit the local night session this evening after work. (I've been itching to get back on skis again!) There's a fair bit less base than usual for this time of year, a sign of the slow start we had this winter. The snow was good and soft though as we had snow flurries through the day. Looks like we'll get a lot more over the coming week.

I was riding solo, and without poles as I still have the pins in my hand. Going to the docs tomorrow for a check, hoping the pins can come out ASAP so I can get a glove on and use poles again!

Hitting the jumps with the GoPro strapped to my hand:
snow conditions
Heavy snowfall overnight and this morning. Probably about 50cm by now. Wind drifts causing all sorts of problems and we've had cancelled buses and trains in this area.

View from the window this morning after the blizzard overnight

Cars blocked in first thing

Walking to work

This system of snow is hitting us and continuing on to Yubari and dumping there. We're heading over there tomorrow to hit Mount Racey, as Teine looks like it'll be very windy. It'll be a chilly day, but hopefully a deep one.
latest report
Such a good day at Mount Racey in Yubari today. 25cm or so overnight but wind-drifting deeper in spots. Cold and very light powder. The resort was very quiet too, so powder was untracked all day.

Heavy snow falling, and forecast to continue all night in this area. Hitting the onsen now, then heading to Teine tomorrow.
latest report
Dumping snow through the night and most of today. Sapporo Teine was really good. Deep dry snow, but falling snow and poor visibility made the going a little slow. The bowls are mostly skiable now. Quite busy as we've got a long weekend, but very few people riding off piste.

Mrs MagSeven in bowl 2. Terrible photo, camera couldn't really handle the heavy snow and white out!

snow report
Great to see you and the thread up and at it again!

snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks Ordinary_Skiier!

It was even better at Teine yesterday (Monday). More snow fell overnight and we had the odd patch of blue sky during the day. It was really deep, and the further we ventured into the bowls the deeper it got.

Dropping into a line down bowl 1

Chest deep

A mellow exit to the traverse out

Only downside was a 3 hour drive home (normally 1 hour) thanks to closed roads due to the heavy snow hitting Sapporo.

This snow doesn't really look like its going to stop for another few days.
snow report
MagSeven, you might know the answer to this:

The Lad is working in Niseko and has a few days off booked.

His mate has suggested a road (actually train) trip to a La Grave type place....about 3 hours away.

One long cable car to top of a mountain. No piste, all off piste.
More popular in the summer for hikers.

Does that ring a bell? Name??
latest report
Asahidake or Kurodake. Kurodake is closed in the middle of the winter for maintenance, and because the weather is generally too damn cold and unpleasant. So he's probably talking about Asahidake.

(Although if he got there in 3 hours, he'd be speeding wink )

If you/he need any tips or info, I'd be happy to help.
ski holidays
The storm that's been sat over us finally lifted yesterday and we've had a couple of sunny days. We had well over a metre, so snow in this area is back up to the levels you'd usually expect at this time of year. Hopefully some more snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Teine is on the cards again for the weekend.

Blue skies and narrow roads
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hei Mag! what is the weather predition for the next week in Niseko Area? New snow?

thanks
ski holidays
Looks like a couple of days of clear ish weather coming up, but then Sunday and early next week the snow should start again.
snow report
Thanks Mag.
snow conditions
Another great day up at Teine today. Super cold on Thursday and Friday, down to -20 overnight. A decent amount of fresh snow at Teine again this morning, and quieter than last weekend.

Blue skies first thing, views across the Ishikari Bay

Scenic entry to bowl 1

Plenty of deep stashes to be found

Couple of cheeky runs through the park

Still no poles

Heading out for a few beers now, so we'll probably keep it local and hit Mount Racey tomorrow. Not much new snow in the forecast for tonight.
snow conditions
Nicely done.

Same conditions in Kiroro today.
snow conditions
Found some really nice untracked snow out of the Peak gates yesterday, but everything obvious is pretty tracked around Niseko now (though the lovely soft chop sort of tracked, very shreddable).

Mike Pow, MagSeven, any tips on where I might go around here to find more powder? Moiwa/Kiroro maybe?
latest report
In Niseko itself I guess over on the Annupuri side would get less traffic. But yeah, Moiwa or Kiroro would be good options. Or Chisenupuri would be a fun hike if you can get there! Its a disused ski area beyond Moiwa. Even the main pistes or the trees under the chair should be good.
ski holidays
+1 to the above.

Welcome clarky999

Kiroro was excellent this week. Pics and vids to come.

10-15 cm overnight at Kiroro and still coming down.
latest report
The lodge ran q shuttle to kiriro; it delivered. 40cms of pow beyond the ropes, THEN it started snowing... Hard. 15 min skin yielded some steeper stuff too, v nice.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, thanks. Saw a guy on idris skis in a red jacket today, was that you?

BTW it was snowing very hard when we left kiroro at 3, Will be very good tomorrow!!
snow report

BTW it was snowing very hard when we left kiroro at 3, Will be very good tomorrow!!
snow conditions

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy