Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-drilling skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Not a happy chappy at all at the moment : I've just bought a pair of skis off Ebay, and although the guy said that the bindings were set for size 5/6 boots, they're a good 3cm too long for my boots - and I'm a size 6 (305 mm base on my Salomon Axe 8 Performa boots, circa 1999). Have left them at the shop to see if they can be adjusted or if they're going to have to be re-drilled.

What difference will the re-drilling make, if we have to do it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More holes to let moisture in, but they should fill them properly. I'd've thought the bindings could be adjusted by 3/4cm though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
28mm adjustment on the bindings (s912Ti) according to the salomon website
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, I bought some new boots at the beginning of the season that were half a size smaller than my previous boots. The skis had to be re-drilled for the binding adjustment, but this has caused no problems whatsoever. Don't worry.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CHeers for that Dave, I'n feeling a bit happier now Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One general warning: Just cause the boots are the same "size" doesn't mean they're the same "size".
It's more to do with the sole length than the foot size, i.e. a size 10 boot could have a boot sole between about 310 and 330mm.

For a recreational skier, redrilling will make very little difference. If you take good care of the skis, they will last a long time, but not as long as ones only drilled once.
As well as moisture, the additional holes also reduce the rigidity of the ski, and its strength.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My size 6 boots have 305 mm sole, but the shop just called to confirm that the bindings look to be set for a size 9 boot, and will need to be re-drilled. This is going to cost me £35 - does that sounds reasonable?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's an OK price for it. The ones I know of charge £30-40.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems Ok, about the price of a small round of drinks in Hazel Grove isn't it? Smile

I'd use them if I were you, they should have the correct templates to make sure the holes are in the right place, seal the old holes properly and set the bindings to your boots. Peace of mind for £35 - bargain!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow and rock charge £25 but there's the hassle of taking them there and picking them up again. I'll leave them at the local shop to be done I think.

I don't drink in Hazel Grove - have you ever been there? You'll understand why if you have...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hazel Grove infinitely more preferable than drinking in Stockport...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not Hazel Grove, but I've had a few in Bramhall.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh dear. There's only two pubs in Bramhall, and one of those is a wine bar... Thats not a good south Manchester drinking experience...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dearie me. It gets worse. The ski shop have explained that the bindings had been pushed to maximum adhustment and would take a boot of about size 12 UK.

Now call me thick, but I don;t see how a binding that wide with a 24mm adjustments range could take a boot size 5 or 6.

It may be that they've already been re-drilled once. My gut feeling is that they shouldn't be re-drilled a second time, if that's the case.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't Panic. I think they're saying it has a range of 4 sizes, but with the current binding placement it runs from 9 to 12.

If they redrill and refit the bindings it could run from 4 to 8. If it had been redrilled already then you'd be able to see the filled holes, could you?
snow conditions
It hasn't been re-drilled already, which is good. From what I;'ve been reading, if you re-driull you should fill the original holes anyway,

Anyway, they're gpoing to refit the bindings to fit my boots and maybe Mrs NBT's as well. I now have to hope that the seler does the decent thing and stumps up the money Ive had to lay out to get the refitting done: if he'd said originally that thwy'd been fitted to size 9 boots, I probably would have avoided them in case the very scenario came about. Will update as and when - and give a review after use, of course Smile
ski holidays
nbt, Amazon do have a buyer protection policy, so contact the seller and suggest politely that (s)he pays for the redrilling. If they refuse, contact Amazon. Obviously it might be a good idea to do all this before getting them redrilled!
ski holidays
Amazon may be a little suprised at the request though, in this case. Very Happy
snow report
Erm - clearly I meant ebay!!! Don't quite know why I said Amazon. You know what I meant... Wink
snow conditions
I'm "disussing" the fees with the seller, however I've had to get the skis done since we're going away on saturday and I need to be ready to pack wednesday and thursday.

Moral of the story is, watch out on ebay.
latest report
I bought my 3Vs off ebay, but when I put in my bid, I emailed the seller saying that it was dependent on my boots going into the bindings without re-drill.
snow report
Very good idea, Fox. I thought I'd got that covered by checking the size, but obviously according to the emails he's sent, his sisters size 6 Nordica boots will fit bindigs set for a UK size 10-12.

Methinks somethings gone a tad awry...
snow conditions
It goes back to teh comment I made earlier - don't go by size, go by sole length. It is possible that a Nordica size 6 boot has a sole length similar to a Salomon size 9!
snow report
£35 sounds a tad excessive to me. I had mine done in Tignes (Val Claret) as well as a full service (repaired, waxed, and edged), all for the princely sum of 25 euros.
snow report
The kids skis have to be re drilled as their feet grow. Then they get redrilled again when they pass down to the younger child. I've been told that 3 times is all they should be done, however we will be trying this out later when Sam goes to the 130 crossmax as his will be the 4th drilling. We make sure that ll the holes are well filled, and the holes aren't too close together. We haven't had any problems yet.
snow report
So I won't have a prob with 3mm then. ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy