Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2013/2014: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires

Poster: A snowHead
mnbv wrote:
I could start carving turns but needed to resort to sliding into parallel turns just to get the turns in. It was ok but just short of 'nice'.

I don't understand what your saying I'm afraid. If both your skis are on edge and carving the ski will cut through most if not all snow conditions you'll come across on piste. Making the ski slide is going to be a whole lot harder in slush ?

I've been skiing these slushy spring conditions since Sunday 6th, so have tried all sorts of tactics Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today's summary....

Firm pistes first thing, even on the sunny Tougnette side of the Meribel valley. By 11am Gelinotte had softened and we had a great ski from top to bottom on a run my wife flatly refuses to ski in winter as it's "too icy".

A bit more breeze this afternoon and higher runs on Saulire side of Meribel and over in Courchevel where starting to firm up in places. Once again we skied back down to Meribel Village at 5pm with virtually deserted pistes. Great fun Very Happy

Snow cover is still generally good and they are doing a great job every evening to tidy up the pistes.

Early start planned for to tomorrow, over to Orelle and hopefully back for lunch
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another day of bright blue skies but slightly cooler this morning. The snow cannons had been running overnight in VT and Les Menuires.

Still generally good piste conditions across the domain but high traffic areas very chopped up by early afternoon as you'd expect.

Meribel valley and Les Menuires pistes seem quiet, noticeably busier in VT. Longest queue of the day was Plein Sud, but even then only about 20 in front of us so can't complain Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed between pramit and becca again. Great conditions - packed snow with half inch of powder.

Kitenski - I mean I wasn't able to do sharp enough carving to manage the speed, so had to parallel turn - although I do have basic rental skis and probably only average technique!

Has anyone found any black runs in good condition? I was thinking of trying lacroix in the morning and courcheval in the afternoon?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colder overnight so pistes very firm this morning.

Creux just starting to soften up and was beautifully pisted when we skied it at 10am.

Top marks to the pisteurs who are doing well in keeping the piste down to Meribel Village open even in this hot weather.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When you say 10am do you mean nicely skiable or you can then make a mark on it with a chisel?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I played on the (north facing?) courcheval black runs this afternoon - suisses, m, telephone, pylones, saulire (red) - all were fantastic. All were firm with lovely soft moguls to the point where you could carve through a lot of them. I also noticed a very useful traverse from saulire lift to the top of m/pylones which isn't on the piste map - important because vizelle lift was closed. Also, m/pylones start in between suisses and vizelle lifts, whereas the piste map show it to the right of vizelle, maybe that's partly why they're so quiet?

I also went through sanglier on the way home at about 4:30pm, it was like firm candy floss!

Glad I layed in this morning and saved my energy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi fatbob, before 10am it was v firm, even with sharp edges every turn involved significant sideways motion, at least as my level!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Change of weather today, cooler and cloudier ... there's snow-a-coming
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not good this afternoon. Creux was barable, marmottes ok and best of a bad bunch but is closed for the last third so there's a long traverse along lac creux. M, suisses and pylones are icy and deserted. Saulire was barable. Biche and mauduit were icy. Weather was very overcast so hard to see the shape of the moguls/bumps - if it had been sunny perhaps saulire would have been enjoyable. Never mind, 5 good days out of 6 has to go down as a success for late season.

Thank you Roger for your reports this week, they've helped me get to grips with spring skiing much faster! Happy

mnbv
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone comment on how much snow has fallen in Val T last night / today at resort level? Tignes reporting 20+ Cm's!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmy38, Not much new snow, a few cm maybe, but pistes are in pretty good condition. off-piste very variable
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like SNOW is falling on the VT webcams snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My colleague is in VT at the end of a late booked week, and it IS snowing Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Méribel closed yesterday. I tried to ski down to the Chaudanne for the last time this season, but finished with a muddy 10 minute hike. Still some great skiing conditions - Lac de la Chambre was particularly good yesterday
latest report
It has been snowing non stop for about 24 hours now in Val thorens roughly 15-20 cms I would guess. Conditions are amazing for May. snowHead
snow report
Last few years, May has been very good in VT.

Snow was still there in June when i went if you could have been bothered to hike up a bit.
snow report
Great conditions in ValTho today, blue sky and sunshine, no people, fantastic spring snow, even a little powder... exactly like this time last year
ski holidays
The tot and I decided to head up to Val Tho to close the piste skiing season. We decided to try the Orelle access which is under an hour's drive from home. The carpark was half full when we arrived, which was a good sign. Cost of lift passes for the tot and I was 76 euros - that's the cost of the tot's season pass at the local resort plus you'd have dhange for 4 espresso's at the piste restaurant!

Hard to understand why the built Orelle without its own motorway exit and a rail stop. Seems a bit under exploited as an access point, not even properly signposted from the autoroute.

We took the lift to the summit and skied down and over to Plein Sud, at 10h30 the pistes were icy apart from over here where the snow had just started to turn

There is a lot of snow still despite the Savoie being pretty dry compared to my native Belledonne mountains - snowline around 2000m whereas we have snow down to 1600.

We skied, following the snow conditions, in Val Tho until 3pm then went back to Orelle to check out the new zip-line. By then the light was very poor and we did the final run down on radar.

Very few people in resort. Pistes very well prepared and lifts running well. It is really a resort of good reds but not any real classic black runs that we saw. A lot of unexploited terrain which is good for people looking for off piste. Snow was spring off piste, ok to ski by around midday, slushy afterwards.

Same piste as above but 8 May 2011

snow conditions
davidof, I saw that last picture first, when I went to the end of the thread, and wondered why he was so little.....

€76 is a bit much for the very tail end of the season!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
davidof, I saw that last picture first, when I went to the end of the thread, and wondered why he was so little.....

They grow up fast don't they?
ski holidays
davidof, no longer a tot!
snow report
They grow up very, very fast!

Val Thorens still very good today. Temperatures are warmer, and off-piste is very variable - good in places, but very heavy in others. Pistes are in very good shape for the time of year, and many, if not most lifts are still open. It's very quiet, mostly locals taking the "pont". Avy risk is up to 3, with several avalanches in the couloir de st-Peres. All in all, great lift-served skiing for 9th May.
ski holidays
Closing Day at ValTho tomorrow... lifts close at 2pm
latest report
still loads of snow there.
ski holidays
still loads of snow there.
latest report
Yes there is ... and it has been snowing this week down to about 1800m
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy