Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2013-14

Poster: A snowHead
My negativity about the type of snow falling was.....wrong!

A fabulous powdery day in Bruson today.
20-60 cm of the fluffy stuff depending where you went, and where the wind had blown it yesterday.

Wonderful stuff....and the usual Bruson crowding problems (ie none at all)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're weren't any lines anywhere, we started in La Tzoumaz, skied over to Verbier, then down to Siviez, skied a bit direction Thyon, then up to Plan du Fou, which was still closed, sun everywhere! then back home via MontFort, full on sun everywhere, and ostensibly, never waited to get on a lift.

But even with the respectable dump, my new ski's seem to find every exposed rock out there... really a spectacular accomplishment to be fair.

Everyone has gone home, and after a short morning ski tomorrow, so will we, kids have to be back at school tomorrow...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp, HeidiAmsterdam, Madeye-Smiley

A week to wait for me - a loooong week.

ps sorry to hear about your prang rungsp
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Verbier off piste not too shabby either. More pics here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2433598#2433598

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbier pistes in top condition.

Gentiennes snow was lovely, but is is quite rocky and you do need to shop your turns carefully in some parts.

We went down to Siviez to try the new Plan de Fou gondola...that will make a massive difference to those in Nendaz, but only if TeleNendaz pull out their wallets and get some snow cannons going, and for goodness sake sort out the longstanding problems with the ski link in/out of Nendaz itself.

It became very clear that there is a fundamental difference between TeleVerbier (invest, invest, invest) and TeleNendaz (make do, make do, make do).
The pistes in Nendaz sector are in pretty poor shape, lots of brown, lots of stones....and not a snow cannon to be seen in place (too warm today, but warmth irrelevant if they don't exist).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp, Very true regarding the TeleNendaz sector, they are also responsible for the lifts that link over to Thyon and Veysonez, too many long drags and even an old 2 man chair. There is long term investment planned for Thyon, possibly as a result of the TeleVerbier shareholding, however the Tele Veysonez Piste d L'Ours gondola replacement continues to drag on. I did read a proposal in the summer that someone would like to build a gondola from Sion up to the Piste D'Lours, not sure if it will ever happen though.

On the bright side glad the snow is good, will be back for Easter, had great snow every time when we have been in April.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My ski's found some pretty big rocks direction Plan du Fou - Siviez. New gondola is spectacular, even smells new! I was up there just after the 30-45 cm dump, and I was gobstopped from some of the rocks I scraped over...Shameless.

And indeed, as others have said, on the same day, skiing down from Montfort, snow cannons everywhere were on, not-a-one in the neighborhood of Siviez...

Feb school holiday, we're off to a Schwendi Berghaus in Davos for 4 nights, then the Berghotel in Flims/Laax for 4 nights. After that, hopefully, we'll know end of January, my youngest will be staying on in Davos for 6 weeks, starting 4 March...she will having a proper European "Kuur". (cure).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Notwithstanding snow last week the pistes in Siviez and Nendaz are as poor as I can recall for this time of the year... The red/blue back to Siviez is basically bare and the return to nendaz below Jean-Pierre closed. What's the story? How is Televerbier able to do it while Telenendaz can't? We all know about the problems with snow making on the Prarion slopes and the very old larch tree etc, but the development of Nendaz town continues apace while relatively little is done to improve the mountain infrastructure, which of course is the reason people come here.

Still nice to be out in the sun out and the wife appreciates that it isn't very cold!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Verbier pistes still 95% in perfect condition.
The only brown and slushy bit is the short pitch between Bar 1936 and the Mayenzet lift.

Spring like conditions lower down today...very unseasonal indeed.

Off piste looks ropey in the extreme.

Skied Chassoure (Tortin) yesterday. Lovely snow, a few rocks exposed, but nothing like as rocky as Gentiennes which is now very rocky indeed.
The strange thing was the almost complete lack of moguls. The first 20 metres there were moguls, but after that they were no more than ripples on the slope...the type that help you to turn on.
In many, many years of skiing that itinery it was the flatest I have ever seen it...rather nice actually!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, we noticed the same Sunday. It was totally different ski. I'm guessing it's like that beginning of the season every year, but because by the time we make it up there, folks have been skiing on it for a month or more, so moguls are already built up, and it only opened just after Christmas if I recall correctly...

I could go back for a few days in Feb, as I haven't confirmed my accommodations for the first 4 days, but I'm thinking to go someplace else that got a lot of snow...I'm kinda done with rocks for this season. Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heidi...I assume you are Dutch?

You do realise it is not actually compulsory for Dutch to go to Nendaz? Very Happy

(Though you might think otherwise when you are there!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm American actually. Got transferred here some years back, met my husband here, oddly enough, he is Dutch, but doesn't really ski...

Loads of Dutch in La Tzoumaz as well, none of us can afford Verbier wink Not so many Dutch in Megeve I noticed, seemed to be more of an original thought from a Dutch perspective. I expect fewer English there this year as well since they cracked down on the English ski school there...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apparently rained all last night in Siviez.

Pistes in spring like conditions - slushy and worn.

More snow needed!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1556garyt, snow is coming and the temps are dropping (not that the latter helps much over that side)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At 1700 meter, you would have thought it would safe from rain in January...just sayin' you would have thought...craziness abounds.
ski holidays
We skied Verbier today and were pleasantly by the snow conditions compared to Les Diablerets yesterday. Chalky snow on one of the itineraries and Mont Fort moguls. Expectations reset to April
ski holidays
Hubby skied Gentiennes yesterday...I opted out, rocky and not very pleasant, lets hope for some good snow soon. (Tuesday atm).
ski holidays
The web cams were looking snowy, if very cloudy, today. Has it put much down?
latest report
Mosha Marc, 20cm in town, maybe a bit more further up according to reports.
ski holidays
just back from a few days in Verbier - pistes are in decent condition and the slopes are deserted. As is the town - which felt slightly sanitised since my last visit.

Was snowing heavily as we left last night. Thanks to Steve Sparks for the tip re Mountain Air - that has got to best the best ski shop in the world!
ski holidays
red 27, glad the boys looked after you.

The conditions are really improving. We're getting regular top ups of 10cm or so and you can really feel the base consolidating. Still being very cautious on N facing and untracked slopes though. Spent yesterday in the trees in Bruson in the mist. Checked the webcams at lunchtime and the sun had broken through at Mt Fort, so thanks to the new Bruson lift we were up there in 40 minutes shredding untracked pow.

Today dawns bright and sunny. I think it's going to be a pretty special.
snow report
Steve Sparks, that's fast! Looking forward to trying out the connection next month, although I'll sort of miss the bus. Is Bruson much more crowded than it used to be?
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
My negativity about the type of snow falling was.....wrong!

A fabulous powdery day in Bruson today.
20-60 cm of the fluffy stuff depending where you went, and where the wind had blown it yesterday.

Wonderful stuff....and the usual Bruson crowding problems (ie none at all)

alan empty, hope that answers your question![/b]
ski holidays
alan empty, no worries, 20 people there yesterday and my mates Bern and mike said 15 today.

Today was the best day of the season. So far. 10cm fresh, cold, stunning light and everything opened up. Little rogneoux, mt Gele to chassoure, Tortin couloir, Barry's bowl, paradise bowl. Untracked, fresh fluffy pow.

We are back in business in a big way!
snow report
Another 10-15cm overnight on Thursday and through Friday morning. Stunning day in Bruson shredding trees. There was someone in front of me at the La Tsai t-bar on one occasion, which was a minor inconvenience.

Skied all the way down to Le Châble for the first time this season. Amazing fields of untracked powder at the top, and pretty good cover all the way down.

More snow due Sat/Sunday.
latest report
Steve Sparks, jealous that you get to enjoy this every day....

Lovely day in the mountains. More pics here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2457452#2457452

snow conditions
If I look at the snow height, it seems to be more or less what it was at Christmas-New Year, but the conditions/coverage seem to be much better. Is that a correct assessment?
snow report
Just back from a fantastic week. It was a case of chasing the sun a bit for some visibility, but the payoff was great snow.

Face shots on Mont Fort, thigh deep down Tortin and we got to ski down to Le Chable too; but from the Bruson side.

Wednesday was 100% clear and found us opening the Trient glacier for the season Cool

I'll get some pics up a bit later
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great snow conditions at the moment. Had awesome skiing Thursday-Saturday but bailed out yesterday as legs were done. Skied front side of Mont-Gele for the first time ever on Saturday afternoon. Scary, though I expected it to be much worse. Still will need to ski it another 10 times to move past the fear point.
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam, the coverage is better than Christmas, I think because the base is finally becoming established. We're getting regular top ups and yesterday was the first time it felt properly cold this winter. Another 15cm overnight. Still cautious about steep, north facing exposures.
snow conditions
thank for the assessment Steve Sparks,

Still feeling a bit bruised over the damage done to my new ski's during the Christmas hols...and all the itineraries that were off limits...back again next Christmas, or Easter if the snow holds up. Canceled original booking for half term, and just booked a ski hut tour of 7 nights in the Dolomites...was aching for good snow coverage.

though get very green with envy when reading about Verbier bluebird days~
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, have fun in the Dolomites. Another few cm during yesterday. Superb off pistes in Savolyeres yesterday, it was all a bit wind affected higher up. Should see the itineraries that were closed yesterday opening up today. Cold, clear and sunny.
snow conditions
Was at Verbier today for the first time. It was horrendously cold but with a clear blue sky.

We first did an itinerary and then as much lift-served off piste as we could fit into the day, where we found mounds of soft, deep snow. It was amazing! On the occasions we had to take a bit of piste to get to some off piste, we found them pretty much scraped down to boilerplate.

Pity it was too cold for me to take a glove off to take photos but it was a great day in a great place and I'll definitely go back. In fact, I am now considering a season there next season instead of Cham.
ski holidays
Not quite up to Bobs standards (in skiing or photos) (click to bigger if you want)

Taxi!!

Feels pretty deep

Top o' t 'ill

Waiting for a boarder

Contractually obligated "wave" shot

Lets bugger off from work

wink
snow conditions
Belting down to the valley floor and has been all night. About 10cm down here, 15cm up top.
snow conditions
2 Feb 14 - Staying in La Tzoumaz, skiing Verbier & Veysonnaz: Past week has been good on piste with solid base and temperatures sub-zero so holding up well. Generally average week (in a good way) and either sunny or high-level cloud. Snowed in Veysonnaz morning 31.1.14 and across the whole area yesterday from 15:00 and continues currently, so a nice fresh batch of snow has fallen in the last 18 hours. Temperature rose yesterday to +2ºC in La Tzoumaz and +4ºC Verbier at 1500m; currently (10:30) 0.1ºC and snow has just stopped, with slight lifting of clouds. [Later edit, 12:30 - Started to snow again and pretty much a whiteout]

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 2-02-14 12:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Msej449 I go to la Tzoumaz in 10 days time what is it like as a resort any tips is the trek over to verbier a chore or a pleasure
latest report
gwatts10,

La Tzoumaz is small, quaint and quiet, in comparisons to Verbier. We spend 18 days there in December/January. The uplift on the gondola is very quick and efficient. We are pretty good skiers, and from the bottom of the gondola, we could reach the Medran lift in Verbier in 15 minutes, including uplift. The skiing over to Verbier is quite enjoyable, no poling necessary.

One supermarket in La Tzoumaz, has everything you need, all be it very pricey!!! the ice skating rink it too small to enjoy. My kids loved the pool, and they have different water activities every night for kids. It is in the same building as the gondola. I would recommend that! We did self catering, so we mostly stayed in an played board games, we are Cluedo fanatics!

I thought the skiing around La Tzoumaz was really nice, in terms of the in between the trees. I like tree skiing. Plus it is North facing, so it holds it snow better than a lot of other parts of 4 Valleys. In La Tzoumaz, if you take the blue run, all the way down, and I mean all the way down, you'll run into a few little mountain huts, closed on three sides, which a nice little place to chill out with a picnic. If you want sun, and there is sun, the back side of La Tzoumaz, Savoyleres, is also good fun. From the top of the gondola, starting to follow the "Luge" route, past the lifts way off to the edge, there is a restaurant, which I can recommend, does great fondue's and not quite as pricey as the for example the Carrefour in Verbier (which you would ski past from La Tzoumaz to Medran).

Depending on your skiing ability, the itinerary from Verbier back to La Tzoumaz, Val D'arby, is brilliant, though I found it to be quite the challenge. My youngest thought it was great.

enjoy! We'll back there next Christmas, but off to Italy for half term.
ski holidays
Hi gwatts10: I have a short Resort Guide and 'How to get to La Tzoumaz from GVA' - We own an apartment here and have a website www.laforet35.com You can email me if you want from the pink button link on the 'Availability' page and I can send them to you if you want. In the meantime:

It’s worthwhile booking in advance to get a 20% discount on-line from Monnet Sports. Google ‘Monnet Sports La Tzoumaz’ and book via the www.snowrental.net website.

It's principally a family resort with most of the accommodation privately-owned by Swiss. Only 15% of beds are rented-out, so it's fairly quiet. There are bars and restaurants but not a big night-life, like Verbier. If you're a party-hound, I'd recommend coming home to change; going over on the gondolas; and then partying 'till you want to come home: a taxi back will cost £120+. My 26 year-old son did this with his friends, but on reflection, didn't think the Verbier party scene was that great, compared to Brighton or Bournemouth.

There's only one ATM in the village so I recommend getting your CHFs at the airport, outbound. It can run out and take a few days to be replenished.

There's no garage in the village, so fill up if you need to in the valley.

If you're driving down buy a vignette at the border. Don't risk using the autoroute without one - it's not worth the risk. If you are hiring a car, check it has a Swiss Vignette for 2014 on it as sometimes they miss the odd car when this expires on 1st Feb.

If you're self-catering, there's a good supermarket in the village but prices will be about 20% cheaper in the valley. You can come off the autoroute at Martigny and shop at the Migros if you're on a tight budget. However, the village supermarket is pretty good and has local produce like cheeses, plus a in-store butcher.

Re the ski link from Savoleyres (the summit of La Tzoumaz) to Carrefour/Mayentzet: This is an red-then-blue run - here's the video

http://youtube.com/v/8_d-LgkoDmA

the only problem is that it can get closed after very heavy snowfall, or if the end of the run melts too much (more likely March+). When open, it can often be quicker to get to Ruinettes from La Tzoumaz than from the outskirts of Verbier, if it's busy.

If you're looking at the piste map of the 4 Valleys, then I'd say that whether you're in La Tzoumaz or Verbier, the accessible area excludes Nendaz and Veysonnaz - skiing these means clock-watching and a bit of trek back. We drove over to Veysonnaz in the week so we could relax skiing the whole segment, but obviously, this means using the car and takes time out of the skiing day.
latest report
msej449, Verbier excels at Apres...probabaly more so than Brighton or Bournemouth wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy