Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon X-Scream vs. Salomon X-Free

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First, I realize these are older skis, and not cutting edge. However, on a good day, I am an intermediate skier. I have the opportunity to buy a used set of one of these skis, and I was wondering how they compare and what ability level they are designed for. I am just looking for a ski that keeps me in control and confident in a variety of conditions. The skis I am looking at are 183cm and 184cm.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
trader, welcome!
What is your height/weight?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trader, welcome to snowHeads. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The X-free was a lower intermediate ski, and the X-scream covered a variety of ranges from intermediate to advanced, depending on the model.
Can you find out which model x-scream is on offer?

Also, price wise, don't pay more than about £120 for them, including bindings.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
trader,

Welcome,

You will need to be about 6ft and a reasonable skier to get anything out of the X scream at that lenght.
They have probably been superceded by a whole variety of skis now but they were pretty good at everything when they came out.
Its a softish all-rounder which with give a decent performance in good nick. It depends how much use they have had and how much life they have left in them...

Agree, don't pay too much
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As said above, the screams have been around for a while and since their launch there have been several series which are really pretty gentle intermediates but on first inspection they seem great as 'X screams' - I worked in a ski shop for a long time and know the cover-up job that can be done on 'tired' skis so make sure they are sound. At the begining of a season (certainly here in ADH so I'm sure other resorts are the same) shops are flogging brand new skis from last year at silly summer prices so just by adding a bit extra you could come away with skis that are brand new.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for the opinions and welcomes.

The X-Free and the X-Scream are both 700 series.

I am 6 ft. tall and weigh 180 lbs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trader, ok, yes you could get away with the x-scream, but don't pay more than £120 for them (or, since I'm guessing you're in the US, no more than $200)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks ALL!

Sarah, would you explain more about used "tired" skis. I mean, I realize if the bases are all gouged up and the skis look bad, worn, and abused, but how can they be made to look good to someone who really doesn't know what he is might be looking at (me?). How can you tell when a ski is not worth it. How good should the bases look? How much metal should be left on the edges? What could be "covered up". Any advice when looking at pre-owned ski's would be appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
By today's standards the Xscream could be described as 'damp' but without a reference against other skis and without skiing it, it might be difficult to tell. You could put the bases back to back and check the camber that way or you could try and bend the tips and tails and see how much flex resistance there is. Again this might be suspect because you don't know how stiff it is supposed to be. Most people would like to get a season (16 weeks..? ) out of a ski depending how hard you were on them so if you can rely on how many weeks the seller tells you they have been skied that will be another indication. Maybe get them down to the ski shop for a tech to check out how much life there is in the edges as well
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy