Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
mountainaddict, Your assessment of a lot of Facebook is correct but a lot of ski resorts have Facebook links to their pages and you don't need to log in to see them, they are often a good source of information. Cairngorm had a link which I can't see it on their new site but when looking for it I noticed they have updated their website tonight to give a link to uplift and conditions.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant news if true! I've got the 11/12/13/14/15th December off work, I know it's ages away but something to potentially look forward too!

Let it snow!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are kids allowed in the cafe at Glencoe until closing? Thinking about booking one of the Hobbit houses for a night with our son,but would like to be able to go to cafe for a few beers after dinner and not have to leave when food is finished.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilly28, pretty sure they would be allowed mate. Those hobbit houses look brilliant!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From their Facebook page - CairnGorm Mountain is go... Plans to open at 10am on Saturday. The Ciste Fairway has been pisted. Due to high winds it's not been possible to bar up the Ciste Tow and high winds are expected Friday, thus the 10am opening to give time to bar the tow up on Sat AM if required.

2013 Season Passes are valid. If you have applied for a 2014 season pass, bring some ID to receive a complimentary day ticket.
Webcams are obscured by falling snow atm, so here is one from yesterday

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Gilly28, pretty sure they would be allowed mate.

Scots are pretty strict on children in drinking areas, best to check.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If they dinnae get a round in they are turfed oot.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Your assessment of a lot of Facebook is correct but a lot of ski resorts have Facebook links to their pages and you don't need to log in to see them, they are often a good source of information
Thanks for the tip wink.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Evening geoff10 - Which way do you generally drive to Aviemore? We're also on Teesside (at Norton) and generally get there in four and a half to four and three quarter hours driving time (plus stops). We've found that the quickest route is Tyne Tunnel > A1 > Edinburgh bypass etc. Mind we often travel up mid evening on a Friday or Saturday - so the traffic tends to be ok. And we get the old foot down wherever possible....

There are often (but not always) 4 of us who travel up together. However, we'd certainly be up for car/fuel cost sharing on any mutually convenient future dates. Dunno about this weekend though Confused. Severely tempted (£15 cheap tickets and all that) but need to be back home for Sunday lunchtime - and I'm on a night out tomorrow....Could always not drink too much and set off for the slopes at about 5am on Saturday... Smile

Quote:
If they're opening this early, I have some serious negotiating to do I don't think my significant other has realised that skiing can start so early! Time to start making plans for weekends
Does the 'significant other' (never heard that one before!) not ski then? Christmas shopping in Aviemore beckons....what a treat!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beequin wrote:
Quote:

Gilly28, pretty sure they would be allowed mate.

Yeah, we live just outside Glasgow, and yip the norm is kids can only get in pubs if eating and have to leave when finished (ok, they may be allowed a tad longer after plates are taken away, but not all night), hence why I asked. Stupid rule if you ask me!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilly28 wrote:
Are kids allowed in the cafe at Glencoe until closing? Thinking about booking one of the Hobbit houses for a night with our son,but would like to be able to go to cafe for a few beers after dinner and not have to leave when food is finished.

Yes. Cafe is only open till 4.30pm though rest of November, prior to the Christmas period it will revert to 8.30pm opening (10pm on Friday and Saturdays).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Evening geoff10 - Which way do you generally drive to Aviemore? We're also on Teesside (at Norton) and generally get there in four and a half to four and three quarter hours driving time (plus stops). We've found that the quickest route is Tyne Tunnel > A1 > Edinburgh bypass etc. Mind we often travel up mid evening on a Friday or Saturday - so the traffic tends to be ok. And we get the old foot down wherever possible....

There are often (but not always) 4 of us who travel up together. However, we'd certainly be up for car/fuel cost sharing on any mutually convenient future dates. Dunno about this weekend though Confused. Severely tempted (£15 cheap tickets and all that) but need to be back home for Sunday lunchtime - and I'm on a night out tomorrow....Could always not drink too much and set off for the slopes at about 5am on Saturday... Smile

Quote:
If they're opening this early, I have some serious negotiating to do I don't think my significant other has realised that skiing can start so early! Time to start making plans for weekends
Does the 'significant other' (never heard that one before!) not ski then? Christmas shopping in Aviemore beckons....what a treat!

Accepted wisdom up here in chilly jocko is the A66 is more predicable and faster - mind you 4 and a 1/2 hours is fairly rapid Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fifespud: If there was just the two of us going from Stockton, we'd generally go the A66/M74 for Glencoe/the west. It still amazes me that it's slightly nearer for us going that way -because psychologically it's difficult to accept that we have to go SOUTH to Scotch Corner to join the A66!

I haven't checked the mileage for the A66 etc to Cairngorm - but will do so now that you've mentioned it Smile .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland wrote:
Gilly28 wrote:

Yes. Cafe is only open till 4.30pm though rest of November, prior to the Christmas period it will revert to 8.30pm opening (10pm on Friday and Saturdays).

Thanks for that!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pics from Winterhighland of todays skiing snowHead
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=926,9,1
ski holidays
Having seen the Cairngorm reports, Mrs MA and I were fancying a slide....However, it's 300 miles away and we couldn't go up on Friday night and ski yesterday (Saturday) as I had something on (hic) on Friday night. I also had a prior engagement for this afternoon (Sunday), so - given the not too clever forecast over the next week and not wanting to miss the boat - a plan was hatched...There was nothing else for it wink :

- Camp in the car in the Cas car park last night.
- Go for an early ski tour this morning.

So that's what we did. After a cozy night at the Hotel Mondeo at -2C, it was snowing when we set off in the dark at 06.45 but soon got light as we skinned up the Home Road. After that it was fog all the way to the top of the Ptarmigan Tow, where we turned round and skied down via the Ptarmigan Traverse; the Traverse proper; the Cas; and the Zig Zags. At times it was a total pea souper but we had brilliant snow most of the way down - it was freshly pisted from the top of the Ptarmigan Tow to the bottom of the Traverse. From the bottom of the M1 Tow it was full-on rock hopping and combat skiing to the Daylodge - finishing with a bit of stone-grinding of our bases via Burnside Laughing .

Definitely one of our more zany ski experiences - but a brilliant couple of hours on the hill and our first turns of the season Very Happy.

snow conditions
Good on you, mountainaddict, looks a wee bit claggy though. Laughing By contrast, the sunshine and incredible snow cover made for an amazing day at Glencoe today with shoogly and Andrew (jungle on winterhighland). It was quite literally ski anywhere snow and we had fresh tracks wherever we went. Skied most of the way down to the car park via the bike track too.

Full set on flickr ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/88898381@N02/sets/72157637526623474/

snow report
Inspirational ! Shocked
snow report
moffatross,
Lovely photos looks like a great day.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, moffatross, Love it. snowHead
snow report
moffatross wrote:

Love this photo!
latest report
Hi mountainaddict, love the pics and the fact that you got to take them!
I'm in Redcar, so about 40 mins further from the snow than you. Sadly, my girlfriend
vetoed any snowy trips this weekend - can understand this cos she is busy moving in to
my house just now!
Would be very interested in a shared trip Scotland - not necessarily Cairngorm, but
wherever - happy to share costs, of course, and have had a PM from Will Steele who's
also interested - don't know him, but you might cos he's also from Norton
For interest, my chosen route to Cairngorm is A19 through Tyne Tunnel, A1 to Edinburgh, M?/A9
to all points north.
snow report
Looks like we picked the wrong mountain moffatross Confused - especially with the heli-drops wink . Who needs the Access Chair eh? C'est la vie - and we still enjoyed ourselves in the pea soup Smile . Typically and right on cue, the weather cleared as we were pulling away to set off back rolling eyes. The autumn colours were amazing and the snow on the tops round Dalwhinnie, Drumochter etc, together with the blue skies and sun, made for a spectacular drive home.
Quote:
Would be very interested in a shared trip Scotland - not necessarily Cairngorm, but wherever - happy to share costs, of course, and have had a PM from Will Steele who's also interested
No bother geoff10 - as per my response of 7th Nov:
Quote:
There are often (but not always) 4 of us who travel up together. However, we'd certainly be up for car/fuel cost sharing on any mutually convenient future dates.
I've also had a PM from Will Steele - I don't know him, eventhough he's just round the corner from me. It seems there's definitely an opportunity for car sharing from the Teesside area at some point.
latest report
Nice work boys. I'm especially liking the Look of Glen Coe.
snow report
A few more photos from yesterday...

Fresh snow late afternoon

Best view I've had for lunch for a long time!

Fresh tracks in Spring run at 2.30pm

moffatross spraying some pow

Can't wait until next time and season has started with a bang!
snow conditions
Nice pix, shoogly. The slicked back, sweat-drenched hair on the skier in your first photo makes him look rather sexy, don't you think ? Laughing

Here's another of you from yesterday that Andrew emailed me ...

ski holidays
See, that rocker stuff works
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
See, that rocker stuff works

Those 'rockers' must help keep your knees together and your hands in the right places too. I can just carry on blaming my tools then Laughing

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross: If those are Black Diamond telescopic poles, I've got at least some of the same tools....but my pics always look like that Shoogly one Toofy Grin....
latest report
from Cairngorm...

Morning all. Unfortunately, due to the very mild temperatures and high winds, current and forecast, we will not open for snowsports this weekend. On a more optimistic note, most forecast models suggest it cooling down on Sunday, and snowing to low levels next week. We will keep you updated when it starts snowing again.
Ops 1
snow conditions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24897197
snow conditions
Snowing again in Scotland today - in the west at least Very Happy...On a positive note, the makings of a base in the Main Basin at Glencoe seems to have come through the thaw:

latest report
If anyones from the Perth area, The Perth Ski club are looking for new members.

We have our own Ski Hut situated next to the Caenlochan Poma up Glenshee.

Facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/PerthSkiClub
latest report
I'm contemplating a trip up for Hogmanay. I just fancy a change from the same family thing I've done since the year dot.

I'm tempted to drive my truck up and sleep in that (it's got proper heating and whatnot, it's what I use when racing my bike in the welsh forests from feb to October).
But the micro lodge things at the Coe seem quite good too.

Not having skied in Scotland for over ten years since I moved down South and also having lost touch with my Scottish ski buddies, which area would be recommended for a decent Hogmanay and a spot of skiing on the first?
snow conditions
feef, none of them are in a town, but cairngorm is close to aviemore so you would get the best of both worlds if you stayed there.
latest report
shoogly, Fantastic pictures of Glencoe!
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
feef, none of them are in a town, but cairngorm is close to aviemore so you would get the best of both worlds if you stayed there.

I should really post this in meetups. I know none are in town, was just wondering if there was ever any dafties stopping AT the slopes for hogmanay. I suppose the closest would actually be Nevis Range.
ski holidays
Was snowing in Aberdeen this morning... I'm hoping/assuming that means good things for the Scottish ski hills?
ski holidays
Snow level has dropped at the Coe again:
snow conditions
feef, I would be very surprised if the slopes at all areas were not only open but pretty busy on new years day, the only day they normally close over the holidays is Christmas day. I am pretty sure I have read of people with campervans staying in Cairngorms car park overnight, no hookups but if you have skied there in the past you will know that the Glenmore caravan/camping site is at the bottom of the hill and a few other sites are in the area.
Glencoe does have a few hookups in their carpark http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/accommodation.html along with the microlodges. Not sure where to go for new year but I would think either Fort William or Aviemore would be best for accomodation if needed and also closest to the slopes but check Glencoes website for places to stay in that area. Newtonmore have a torchlight precession to bring in the new year followed by a firework display which is very popular http://www.newtonmore.com/events/annual-events/new-years-eve-torchlight-parade.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy