Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iceland 2013/2014 - Snow and TRs

Poster: A snowHead
So the season begins the weather forecast has this warning today:
Quote:
A gale or strong gale is expected (15-23 m/s) in the west by afternoon today, but in other parts by evening and tonight. Also is expected 23 to 28 m/s at times in the northernmost part tonight.There are also expected heavy precipitation in the northwest part and Tröllaskaga by evening and tonight, rain in lowland, but snow in more than 150-250 meters above sea level.

This happened at a similar time last year and ended up with a large loss of sheep that hadn't been bought down from the mountains but also setup phenomenal cover that lasted all winter.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slowly getting more wintry up North:

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-11-13 17:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As you can see from the webcam image about the snow is starting to come back up North.

Down here most of the mountains have a salt and pepper coat about 600m.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From Bergmann Mountain Guides:

This is the mountain Hestur (literally Horse) which stands above their farm/HQ/heli-op. I've only been up it in a low snow year and already there is more extensive cover albeit a tad boney.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That looks very tempting.

Hoping to get skiing soon meh?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I will be in Iceland in one week from now... flying visit but looking forward to the views.. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, yeah, just need the snow to stick around and consolidate plus a bit more base but hopefully can get some touring in soonish up North.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh, Keep up the posts. Last years thread was excellent Cool

Mike Pow, Time for you to start the English\Welsh one wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there a network of refuges?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, there are a few but more setup for summertime hiking than being good for skiing. I've only used one once to ski Snaefell in the east.

AndAnotherThing.., my girlfriend and I are having a kid in December so this is going to be a quieter season. The guy I went to Japan with is getting married in May and for his stag do is a whole bunch of us touring for a week up North. Other than that it'll be getting skiing in when I can manage it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meh, Post what you can. I'd love to get over and experience Icelandic skiing for myself but not sure when that will be.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II, just so you know the premier of Into the Mind is screening in the cinema Bio Paradis in downtown Reykjavik this coming Saturday if you're in town and want something to do.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After a few days of melt the snow is back up North and going strong.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yesterday I ate a sandwich in a t-shirt on the Esja plateau, today there is 5cm of snow in downtown Reykjavik which is about 850m lower. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow report
Esja looking a lot whiter than yesterday:
ski holidays
Enough to ski ?
snow conditions
No way, this is cosmetic and will most definitely melt out except near the summit. Most mountains here are pretty rocky so you need a decent base. I've carried skis up to the summit on more than one occasion only to leave disappointed. There are some pretty good colouirs but I've only skied one of them so far.

Marmot also just released this video of a trip a bunch of their sponsored guys took here last year:

http://youtube.com/v/9aiwwy-2wsw
snow conditions
The couloir at 10 mins.

BINGO!

I know it's a catalogue shoot, but nothing says dork more than wearing a hat in the "bath".
snow report
That pool can be a bit breezy so I can see why they might have their hats on other than for making sure every shot has at least ten Marmot logos.

There's some good footage of the better terrain at the ski area Hlidarfjall near the start as well.
latest report
In celebration of my new WD Rangers arriving in the post today everything is looking very wintery over the entire county today which hopefully means winter is finally arriving. Following the shot above the entire country melted out pretty much with temps up in the high teens briefly in some parts of the country!
ski holidays
Things are all go with 33cm in town at Akureyri last night:
http://www.hlidarfjall.is/is/vefmyndavelar

The badly stitched panorama shows the snow depth at the base station, yes the ski rental shop has been buried by a drift!

Down here in Reykjavik things are looking better but not skiiable yet, lots of wind contributing to the snow depths seen here:

Am unlikely to get up north until next year what with preparations for our kid arriving.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 24-11-13 17:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Thunder last night and snow showers over the last few days mean it's looking very wintery in Reykjavik. Hlidarfjall the ski area by Akureyri is opening in the 22nd and with this latest snowfall there looks to be enou base on Blafjoll near Reykjavik to see that open on time as well. Might take a morning out from the baby prep next weekend to skin up for a look around.
latest report
As you can see from the above photo they're pisting up at Blafjoll and will open this weekend. Which is nice.
ski holidays
First day of the season today. One pisted blue and the rest of the mountain bulletproof thanks to the freeze-thaw of the last few days. Still skied the steeper pitches sheet ice and rock dodging and all in all a beautiful day to start on.
ski holidays
Here are some pics from yesterday:

Click for biggerer for this pano:

Looking towards Esja and others:

Looking towards the south coast:
snow conditions
Nice. Cool We saw similar coloured skies through Glenshee yesterday.
snow report
Yeah great sunrises and sets with so little daylight right now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely. snowHead
ski holidays
Things are currently alternating between snow and rain so everything is a block of ice up on the mountains. Bit of a cold snap by the end of this week but how about this for a temperature shift:

Forecast is junk that far out so we'll see how it develops.
snow conditions
My daughter was born last Sunday and bought the snow with her am currently elbow deep in feeding and sleepiness so no chance of skiing but am doing something equally awesome.

Should be a great base for later in the season though as the cold weather and snow is set to continue.
latest report
Also a good write up about the local heli op from Skiing Magazine:
http://www.arcticheliskiing.com/static/files/PDF/Articles/iceland-heliskiing-skiing-magazine.pdf
snow conditions
meh wrote:
My daughter was born last Sunday and bought the snow with her am currently elbow deep in feeding and sleepiness so no chance of skiing but am doing something equally awesome.

Should be a great base for later in the season though as the cold weather and snow is set to continue.

Amazing times, meh, and although they go so quick, what an amazing place your daughter will start her life in. Looks like the weather has been pretty brutal in Iceland the last few days (as it's just started to be in Scotland again now) but as you say, good for base building and reckon a few wee trips into the mountains later on will be good for contemplating on your new family member. Cool
snow report
moffatross, yup, am looking forward to taking her into the mountains when she's older. snowHead

In lieu of pictures of snowy mountains here's our little place getting nuked on with Christmas snow:
snow report
Congratulations
ski holidays
Mike Pow, cheers!

In other news it's been snowing balls here in downtown Reykjavik:

We should be in for a white Christmas given the forecast.
latest report
meh, Looking good (and congratulations !)
ski holidays
Currently far too windy but there is lots of snow.

This event in March was just announced, very much seems to be gunning for international participation if anyone is looking for an excuse to come:
http://www.icelandwintergames.com/en
snow conditions
Back from a few hours of skiing by myself. Horrendously wind polished off piste so I ended up getting to know my new skis and bindings lapping the steepest piste which was fast and grippy. Covers good but we really need new snow! Thankfully there is some forecast at the weekend.
ski holidays
Hard packed and windy down south:

Much nicer in the North!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy