Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How "good" do you have to be to pass the Eurotest with video

Poster: A snowHead
Here is a little video showing skiers at different levels. The guy in Orange would be about 6 seconds slower than the first guy and a Eurotest pass would need to be within about 5 seconds of the guy in orange on a 60 second course. Sounds like a lot of time but......

https://vimeo.com/71978259

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 27-08-13 19:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What we want to know is how close are you to the guy in orange? As a person of "seniority" who is doing a fair amount of training from a non race background. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know haven't raced him (yet)... would it help if I said I was 4 seconds off the 45 year old on an easy 40 second course.... Not so much about me but in the spirit of my "how good do you need to be series"
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Erm where did 54 come from Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting video

Someone I know just passed the Euro Test age 38 Wink
He actually finished about 8th from 110 starters - most of whom were much much younger.
The interesting thing is that he is primarily a snowboarder and didn't really ski much until the last 5 or so years.

People in their 40s and 50s have passed ET though - so not sure about age being a big issue.
IMHO once you get to 30+ most people have other careers / family / commitments (i.e very few age 30+ apply for Euro Tests!)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-08-13 15:17; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jjc james, sorry for nicking your footage of the boyo but too good to pass up. Did I get his best GS points wrong? (I can delete this if you wish but it was floating about on the web cant remember where...)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 8-08-13 15:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haggis_Trap, who said anything about age being a big issue, wrong thread old boy Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ touchy subject is it Wink

don't worry - approaching 35 I am over the hill too!
may never get around to doing a ET though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You might be over the hill but I'm not and I probably have socks older than you Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
jjc james, sorry for nicking your footage of the boyo but too good to pass up. Did I get his best GS points wrong?

That's me...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret wrote:
You might be over the hill but I'm not and I probably have socks older than you Toofy Grin

I reckon you could easily pass Wink Hope you eventually do as well.
Though like most non-racers it would need a couple months dedicated training to reach the standard.

Not many people age 30+ are in a position to easily make that huge time commitment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jjc james, oops sorry thought it was C. Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No worries, would have been nice to get a video credit for JJC though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I should be able to get to that standard......... in about 20 years. I'd be in my seventies then Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
will do !! (and have done check out the end)
latest report
Thanks skimottaret, and jjc james, for putting that together. I have the goal, now just need the plan for how to get there... And it needs to be a long-term plan given the relative point I'm starting from!
ski holidays
kieranm, if its something your interested in you should email us for a free fitness program. No need to book onto anything and its geared towards the test.

We do supply more personal and specific programs for those that book onto any training we run. Its just a case of completing a fitness test so we know your strengths and weaknesses.

skimottaret, cheers Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 9-08-13 15:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Is part of it in the mind too? I was talking to Gavin Lewis of TDC about it in Tignes. He passed first time (I think) without any racing background. Obviously he trained for it but he also put it down to being fearless and a bit mad Toofy Grin
snow report
Claude B, mental attitude is undoubtedly part of it. But that is age-related too, at least it is for me. I remember when younger having a much more cavalier approach to life, but things change.

jjc james, thanks for the offer - I'm sure I'll be in touch. My wife is a part-time fitness instructor so I have no excuse.
ski holidays
Claude B, I think the further along you go the Psychological aspects get more and more important. Did they teach your daughter TTPPEE in her course ? cant recall where that comes in the syllabus but all are pretty important..
snow report
cheers for putting that up Scott, 2 things I spotted in one viewing.

Person in Orange has a huge sideways slide about 57secs in, that's the modern technique isn't it?

The other thing that struck me was how narrow the stance was on some of the close to guys vs the current world number 1....(who's a lovely skier to watch in that clip!)
ski holidays
that was a tactical move to redirect the skis and lock onto the edges above the gate instead of skidding below the gate and dumping speed. Very technical and highly skilled at those speeds... not sure about narrow stances they were all about right and imv, one thing to note is that number 1 was most likely on 35 metre radius skis and on a very very steep pitch in Solden...
snow report
skimottaret, ref stance, a pic is easier to explain what I saw......

snow report
kitenski, the stance width is pretty similar. Get a graphics package and line up the outside legs of each to vertical and superimpose them. You'll note the guy on top is 'stood' on a much steeper slope. The real difference is how close the top skiers hip is to the ground which necessitates a much more bent inner leg as he's leant further over. For the same stance width the skis will have to be further apart as the amount the skier is leant over increases. That's just straightforward geometry.
snow report
The two pics are not quite like for like. The guy in the second pic is already past the gate and has presumably started to transition towards the next gate\arc. That said there is a bit of daylight under what's going to be the new o\s ski, but he's well forward.

If Coaches and Instructors out there want to supplement their knowledge with input from a different sport with similar dynamics, check out Motorcycle circuit racing. There is some interesting & complementary stuff out there. Perhaps motorcycle trackdays would make good Summer cross training....
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., at risk of hijacking the thread, funnily enough, I've been rallying motorcycles this summer and I find there to be an interesting number of similarities with skiing, moreso than in road/circuit riding.

It's a much better workout for the legs as you're standing and sitting in equal measure as well as having to absorb the lumps and bumps of the terrain.
You need to weight the outside peg to get a good transition and turn initiated.
You need to keep your weight forward
Angulation of the body and bike is similar to skiing. With road bikes, you're angling the bike so it's more upright so you're hanging off the inside of the turn. Offroading, you're maintaining a more upright body position and the angulation is all in the hips and legs.

I find I get thighburn after a race on the bike, similar to if you were skiing tele or on boots that were maybe too soft, it's certainly a good workout. Also, on the arms and upper body as well as core strength just for maintaining balance.
ski holidays
feef, Yep. Plus for circuit work it also incorporates high levels of lateral & fore\aft balance skills, transitions plus carrying speed through the apex. Some opportunities for 'cross pollination' and lateral thinking for sure.
snow report
https://vimeo.com/120418989

video from a test a few weeks ago... enjoy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimottaret,

Good video & comments.

How did they mange a 'closing time' if only 1 opener finished? I thought the rules had been changed to average the best 2 times?
snow conditions
It was kinda weird, 5 closers with 4 times posted but they DNF'd 4 of em for some reason and seemed to use just the one time. Was on the hill filming so couldn't ask Susi
snow report
@skimottaret,

Still better than Alp D where no openers times were shown on the live timing or indicated on the results board!
snow conditions
@stewart woodward, yeah when I raced at ADH there was a big bust up over times and they changed the girls pass on the results board from 58.00 to 58.90 and then a few more got through... felt a bit like they were making it up as they went...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy