Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PSA: Down Skis pre-sale 1st August

Poster: A snowHead
rungsp wrote:
The Lad just ordered a pair of 6s for Japan.

Great service from Down.

PSA: If you are a guide/instructor and contact Down they may offer you a further discount

Hmm is just passed basi 1 good enough Wink

I'm guessing not Cool

The 6s do look nice to will be really interested to hear what he thinks of them, that exotic skis review is seriously, seriously tempting me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone got any ideas on the 0's ? I want...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mishmash, brand new this season, so doubt many people will have been on them yet. Best bet is to email Down with any questions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
mishmash, brand new this season, so doubt many people will have been on them yet. Best bet is to email Down with any questions.

Thx, I did. Just trying te get a feel for the difference between the 0 and 1. I think I prefer a flatter tail than the 1. This is based on a day on Kurs, which only have a very subtle tip rocker but are super fun if a bit heavy. So a bit less at the waist but a stiffer tail in the 0s looks the ticket for me!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had this from Simen, might be helpful;

"The 2 is more allround and the 0 is more of a powder ski. (duh)

In shaping, the primary difference is that the 2 has a radial sidecut which is the same for the tip/underfoot/tail at 25m, and the 0 has a progressive one which goes from 20 in the tip through 25m underfoot to 30m in the tail.

On snow, this means the 0 initiates a turn a bit more strongly, while having a tail that is easier to break loose at the finish, while the 2 has a tendency to rail a little bit harder at the end of a turn. We´re not talking massively different here, rather slightly different flavours of the same feel.

The 0 will provide more float in deep snow, both due to it being wider, but also having a rounder early taper in the tip and tail and a bigger difference in width from tip-to-tail.

The mount points of the two skis also makes for different behaviour, with the 2 being a touch more traditional, and the 0 having a longer tail and a slightly more balanced swing weight (even if both skis are really light for their size).

The flex pattern also comes into the equation, with the 0 having a softer tail, making it a little more forgiving and playful despite the longer tail.

So: -> allround, freeride, a little "chargier" -> CountDown 2 -> more pow focused, a bit more playful -> CountDown 0"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
springbok45, thx v helpful
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there any other ski manufacturer that could give such a detailed and personal reply to a punter's question?

(No offense meant with "punter's" springbok45!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
Is there any other ski manufacturer that could give such a detailed and personal reply to a punter's question?

(No offense meant with "punter's" springbok45!)

None taken, especially considering that it was in response to said punter being neurotic about the skis he'd already ordered. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
7 days left...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
7 days left...

Matt, are are you vicariously feeding your inner ski-ho through us NehNeh

Nick
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
springbok45, pretty much Laughing No money for new toys myself so I'll have to live through you guys!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right then, after seeing the post above about Down ski being based in Geneva I got dragged into this thread, had a look at the website, sent a few emails, and went to meet Gregor for a drink and a nosy at his skis last night with a couple of other guys.

Simen was great via pm with lots of advice, and Gregor was lovely to meet.

He brought along 3 skis for us to have a look at - I think the 0, 3 and 4... A really nice varied range, and very well put together from what I saw. The brushed matt finish is stunning too!

One of the guys had skied on a pair of Downs last year, and was raving about them, and looking at more for mates - so that was a pretty impressive recommendation!

Thanks clarky999 for pointing these guys out - top guys, great skis. It's really nice to sit down too with someone who is so knowledgeable and passionate about what they're doing, and hear them talk through how they make and design the skis, how they've evolved etc.

So anyone wavering, get in quick before the sale ends Toofy Grin

(And yes, I am getting some - pair of 6's ordered Smile Hand delivery in Geneva promised!)

Edit: ooh err, 300th post! Not bad for someone who is generally happy as a lurker!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fixx, looking forward to a review, they were the ones I fancied
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx, my pleasure!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last call, people!

The sale ends at midnight and some models are now close to reaching their limit, get yours while they last!

As always, we are here to answer any and all questions regarding the skis and our company.

Simen
ski holidays
Quote:
So after our very successful pre-sale in August some new and returning customers continued to drop me emails with stories of holidays, travels, summer pay, no internet, work, etc. on why they missed the pre-sale closing date. As a very busy person myself I totally understand and TODAY (AND I MEAN TODAY ONLY) [my edit - 22 Sept] we will honor our pre-sale terms and prices until midnight CEST. All you need to do is drop me an email at gregor@downskis.com with the title “Fall Special and the name of the ski(s) you are interested”. In the next 2 days you will receive details on payment and order processing directly from me. If you are a returning customer or industry professional please note in the email.

NOTE: All pre-sale orders placed in August will be prioritized but we are currently 100% on track to deliver all orders by end November

All that said being said the clock starts now!
latest report
The CD6's just arrived by courrier....sweet!
snow conditions
rungsp, how do they look? Mine are en route
latest report
They look like skis...what's to say?

A deep burgundy colour (aubergine?)

Textured matt finish, very nice.
Lovely even flex.

For a carbon ski they are not incredibly light (like a Trab) but are noticeably lighter than "normal".

Mr Down was very kind to expidite a fast delivery as these are on a plane to Niseko early tomorrow with The Lad...many thanks to all at Down.
snow report
Mine are in the DHL depot in Milan en route to Ste Foy.
latest report
rungsp wrote:
....For a carbon ski they are not incredibly light (like a Trab) but are noticeably lighter than "normal".....

That's 'cause they're a carbon hybrid ski (wood/glass/carbon) as opposed to a pure carbon (wood/carbon) but you'll get a damper ride with the hybrid.
snow report
Got my 6's this morning from Gregor, and bindings mounted at lunchtime by the lovely Sole guys in Chamonix. Now on my way to Tignes to test them Smile
snow report
Got my CD1s a couple of weeks ago, they're... pretty monstrous! Just huge!
ski holidays
I was after a pair of 5's but they're not making them this season Sad. Got a pair of Carbon-3's coming in a couple of week's instead Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy