Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bottom half insulation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've never been skiing before (due off to Ski Welt Austria in January) - I've got most of the clothing I think I'll need, including some North Face overtrousers (with the straps, gaiters, made out of goretex XCR etc...) which are good, though obviously not particularly warm. Also got some thermals for my legs - now I was wondering what else I may need - if anything, and what other people tend to wear up in the mountains to stay warm (but not too warm)?
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddyr,

If the pants have a fleece liner that should be enough unless you feel the cold. If the pants look like they have a cold inner or no inner at all then a pair of long johns typethings will work.

You tend to get cold very early in the morning or if you stand around, otherwise skiing should be a very active sport and you shouldn't get cold unless youn have totally misread the conditions.

Have a look at the Expensive Thermals and the Jacket thread to see what some people wear.

I wear, for example, a fleece lined XCR pant, a micro fleece, Polar200 fleece and hard shell. On a really cold day I may add a wool base layer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use either fleece jogging style bottoms or fleece salopettes under a shell. In really hot weather a pair of swim shorts with no leg insulation under the goretex layer keeps me from over heating.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I tend to wear thermals and then fleece trousers, with a goretex outer shell.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This seems odd to me.

I'm not the warmest blooded person but I use the 3 garments I've mentioned for the upper body and just the fleece lined pants for bottoms.

For me anyting else would be way too hot on all but the coldest days.

eddyr, I would think what you have is a good start. I find dressing for skiing is pretty much the same as dressing for a pretty cold day over here. And you are likley to be more active skiing. Expect temps around -5 to -10 up the mountain - in the Ski welt - but it will not feel like -10 here. Of course it could be much colder but just say, typically

Confusing, I know..!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I find it always feels warmer than the -0 > -10 that I know it is up a mountain; even when standing around doing nothing. Thermals with your shell is likely to be plenty. Thats not to say that if you go a little further afield that it's not a good idea to carry an extra layer in your pack, but messing around on the lower slopes; you get cold - just go get a hot chocolate, thats what the cafes are for Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eddyr,
Bear in mind that your leg muscles are very efficient generators of heat, and you will be using them a lot. Gotretex XCR souds great, but it might be worth having some jogging bottoms that you can keep above or outside your boots (Painful shins if they are inside) as an emergency extra layer for very cold mornings.
Have a great time. Are you going to the dry slope first - well recommended to get you above the complete beginner ( how does the ski fit to the boot , oops theses things slide if pointed downhill) stage
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info all - i'll find something extra (as a mid layer) to take for just in case then I think - I'm quite a regular hill walker (in this country) so I know that your legs if protected from the wind don't get toooo cold, just not entirely sure how mountain temps affect you.

Martin Nicholas - Thanks I can't wait to get out there - got two weeks while I'm there which I hope will give me a good grounding. Not entirely sure whether to go dry slope - the local one is at Folkestone(kent) and I've heard its not that great, I suppose it can't hurt getting a feel for what I'm in for?!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddyr, If you can wait a few weeks then Snow Park at Diggerland might be of interest.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks FenlandSkier - that looks really cool!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm too busy laughing at the "Diggerland" song.. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eddyr,

Folkestone is fine for getting a turn going and learning what all the stuff does. It got me beyond snowplough before I first went.

The boots may or may not be too great but expect a better range in the resort and don't put up with boots that hurt, change them. Learn what bindings are supposed to do and get to the snowplough stage and that will save you a lot of time in resort...

Although I couldn't even stand up on real snow for the first two hours..!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really rate ODLO gear, I think you can get it at S&R, I've not had much use for the bottoms but the first and second layers I think are terrific - just make sure that all the layers you have on top are breathable otherwise it can' t do its job properly. Even in cold conditions I'v found that their 2 thin layers plus my jacket are all I need.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy