Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet damage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I took my helmet out of storage yesterday (Salomon Essential) and noticed that across the back, the plastic outer has separated very slightly from the polystyrene inner. This was slightly surprising as I have only had one fall in the helmet and it was not particularly severe (caught edge on Trolles above Tignes, 6" fresh snow, 64mm waisted skis, not concentrating). The damage is also not in the same area as where my head hit the deck.

The big question is: is this cosmetic or is it likely to impair what the helmet is supposed to do? Has anyone seen this sort of thing before? Naturally I am keen to replace it if it needs it as there is no point in wearing something useless but would rather avoid the expense if it is just the outer shell. Any views?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My understanding is that you probably should have replaced the helmet after the first fall. It might have seemed particularly bad, but that may be because the helmet absorbed a lot of energy as opposed to your head.

If money is tight, id probably justify fixing the helmet and assuming no other damage. If money is flowing, I would most likely just buy a new one and feel secure.

Adam
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Giles, as I understand it, helmets are potentialy very unsafe if they start to come apart, this is because the helmet gives its protection due to the way it's constructed, if any one part of the helmet fails it's definately time to replace it
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My understanding is that you probably should have replaced the helmet after the first fall. It might have seemed particularly bad, but that may be because the helmet absorbed a lot of energy as opposed to your head.

Yeah - end of the last week of the season, hence didn't really consider it. If it is stuffed, I'm surprised how little it took - the fall in question was minor idiocy rather than a serious stack. I guess Ellis Brigham are about to see the colour of my money yet again. Thanks for the pointer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helmet damage.... is this a case of too much "The be nice to me and I will be nice to you thread....." ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you know your size..... you can get some better deals over the net or in resort. With a bit of searching, I got a giro fuse with tuneups for £60....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Giles, Maybe worth contacting Salomon and see what they have to say, i only say this because alot of cycle helmet manufactures have a crash replacement policy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Giles, If the helmet looks to be in good condition and no impact marks or scratches on it then I'd try for a replacement, but if its a couple of years old then any self respecting dealer would suggest you go away in a nice tone of voice. The safety of the helmet will have be compromised by the damage and will need replacing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Russel, I think whats being suggested is to enquire if Salomon has a policy like Giro (and others) do with cycle helmets. If you have a crash and damage the helmet, you send it back to the company so they can test/check it, in return, you get a discount off your new helmet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy