Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ok, we've bought skis now what

Poster: A snowHead
Ok we've gone out and done it , we've bought a pair of skis each at the Birmigham show
sharon got herself true Love K2 and I got a pair of Head c220i

they arrived the other day and now we are wondering when we can get to try them out Madeye-Smiley
the question being

do you think it's worth getting them waxed here or wait until we hit a resort?

been reading the discussion on waxing etc and are wondering if it would be better to get them done somewhere over here before we go or not or if we should have a go ourselves.
thoughts welcome as always.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very easy to get them done in a resort - perhaps after your first days skiing, I wouldn't use nice new skis on a dry slope though if you can't wait for the real thing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob and sharon, DO NOT USE NICE NEW SKIS ON A DRY SLOPE. NOT NOW, NOT EVER! (Sorry for shouting...you weren't suggesting you were going to (go on a dry slope) were you? Someone was!). It's not a great way to prep the bases.

Your skis should have a nice factory prep to them, so you shouldn't need to do anything. That said, I hated the factory tune on my skis so first evening they were straight back into my ski tuning friends. Try them first. I suspect they'll be great.

So...go hit a resort!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And to forget to keep them somewhere prominent so all your friend can admire them when they come round
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob and sharon, It's better to wax them first, snowHead although it doesn't matter too much. wink It's MUCH better to wax them yourselves, it's not difficult, you'll save money, and do a job that's at least as good as a shop one.....there are lots of threads on here about it rolling eyes .

I don't think you'll harm them on the dryslope too much either, as long as the slope is wet, but it's much more fun to try out new skis on the snow, the just don't feel the same on plastic. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch wrote:
rob and sharon, DO NOT USE NICE NEW SKIS ON A DRY SLOPE. NOT NOW, NOT EVER! (Sorry for shouting...you weren't suggesting you were going to (go on a dry slope) were you? Someone was!).

don't worry, we weren't wink

we'd thought of maybe going to the Tamworth as we've got membership, but really want to try them out properly on a slope, now looking a brochures for weekend deals over Christmas

mistermouse agreed have them stacked in corner of hall at present, in large ski back, those of our friends who ski and have been round have noticed Smile Very Happy Cool

Ski was going to have a look this weekend and see if there was anywhere local to get them done

thanks again for all the comments and advice
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would agree with ski, I do not think that using them on a well maintained wet dry slope would really do them any harm. A lot would really depend on what sort of snow use you intend to get from them. It would be a waste to have them and only use on snow once a year. I have used skis on dry slope then had them serviced and used them on snow. It obviously does reduce the lifespan of the skis but with the advances in technology and design its not going to be long before you want a new pair anyway.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't waste the tune on a dry slope but then I wouldn't use a decent ski there either.

I wouldn't touch them until I had ski'd - in resort - on them.

Self Binding check and then down the hill...!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought new skis came pre-waxed with sharp(ish) edges...you only want to wax them if they're getting a bit sticky.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could always act like hi-fi buffs and obsess about what to replace them with.

Failing that ,you could simply ski on them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
With my last two pairs of skis I just went out and skied with them as they were when I bought them. I actually was under the impression that the original factory finish was the best you could ever get and every service subsequently would not be quite the same.

Historically I always had my skis serviced after each week of skiing, but with the last two pairs I was fortunate to ski in very good snow conditions and I let each pair go for about three weeks for having them serviced for the first time.

Maybe I am right, or perhaps by just believing that the factory finish was best it sort of turned out to be so. If that makes any sense?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try using the Zardoz Notwax over your wax - does seem to make it last longer and stops your edges rusting. About £8 for enough to last years. Makes your ski bases reeeaaaly slippy Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richjp, why get them serviced at the end of the week? Why not at the beginning?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob and sharon, I've PM'd a note to you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, If you start the week with a good wax it means you can just turn up and ski. By getting them serviced at the end of the week means that they will be ready for the next trip or storage
latest report
mistermouse, I think it depends on how long you go between trips.
I think that if you get your skis serviced at the end of the week one year and then only go a year later, the bases would have dried out a fair bit and will need more wax.
I know that when I look at my board after it has been in storage for a year you can see lot of 'dry' areas.
ski holidays
In regard to the original post.

I would use the factory finish for a week (+Zardoz) and then service the skis just before any trip.

I have read loads of posts on this board where people are so anxious to go on holiday they walk round in their kit to get them in the mood.
Why not be more productive and do a DIY service - gets you in the mood for your hols and you benifit when you get there.
latest report
rob and sharon, When are you thinking of visiting Tamworth?

Wow. C220i. That's quite a ski!
snow report
veeeight wrote:
rob and sharon, When are you thinking of visiting Tamworth?

not sure yet,, hopefully in the next few weeks
snow conditions
rob and sharon, After a couple of hours at Tamworth it's highly likely that your skis will need waxing as the artificial snow is extremely abrasive.
ski holidays
As everyone seems to have a different opinion I'll give you mine. Buy a cheap travel iron, look for a decent guide on how to hot wax youself and do them at least once before you ski then every few days after. Saves heaps of cash, you know they've had a good wax not a cursory skim through a machine and as you learn you can experiment with different temperature waxes for your skiing conditions.

On the other hand if you can't be bothered, ski them out of thw wrapper and get a shop wax at the end of the week it won't make that much difference.
ski holidays
I agree with fatbob's last comment particularly - it won't make much difference.

When I am on the snow I always feel I know whether or not my skis are running properly. You can usually tell on the flat bits where you have to pole a bit, when you can see how your skis are running relative to others in your group, or other people around you.

I have seen people service their skis every evening and to me it seems a bit obsessive. If that is what you are into then so be it. I think they do it out of enthusiasm rather than for practicality.

Although you can be taught how to do it, you really should not attempt it without the right working environment i.e. a decent workbench with two small vices to grip the skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy