Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle Flex, just how bad am I???

Poster: A snowHead
franzClammer wrote:
Kenny wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
No advances on 29.5 cm
Looks like I win the vin rouge..........lol
NehNeh

Proof positive that ankle flex is essential for high performance skiing.

Holy Cow!! Was that a jibe at my amazing high performance skiing Shocked Sad
Show me your skiing at 5wks Bode!! Laughing

There are no videos of me skiing, somehow they never survive the censor. Omigod delete DELETE Embarassed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kenny,
Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry franz but my son managed 32 a couple of years back when he was about 24 measured by Warren Smith at one of his seminars. I currently acheive about 26. I'm 55 and otherwise not particularly flexible. I work on my flexibility daily. Important in mobility in the joint is the strength of the 'tibialis anterior' muscle. Many skiers can acheive significant dorsiflexion (pulling the toes up towards the shin) with the leg raised, due to the strength of this muscle.

You can significantly increase your range of motion by stretching the gastrocnemius (with straight leg) and soleus (bent leg) on a regular basis, making sure you follow normal good practice for stretching i.e. warm up first, no pain, hold stretches for minimum 15 seconds up to 1 - 2 minutes, repeat 2 or 3 times. You can also assist the stretch by strengthening the aforesaid tibialis anterior.

Someone mentioned heel lifts and while they have their place, this is very much the preserve of the experienced bootfitter. What seems logical to most of us in boofitting can have really detremental effects. Find someone who really knows what they are doing. I go to Colin Martin at Solutions4feet. It's worth the trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How is cycling hills for using the lower leg muscle chain and for gaining range of motion in the lower legs including ankles..?

I would prefer to put a low impact base in during summer doing a outdoor activity... then afterwards stretching out the lower legs rather than just static stretching on a daily basis.
I always wondered if cycling is probably one of the best all rounders for lower leg endurance/flexion or gaining ROM ?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-08-13 9:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do a lot of cycling in hilly terrain (about 4-5,000 miles a year) and having just done the test described up thread I scored less than 10cm. My left ankle has a lot less mobility than my right and oddly it doesn't feel like the Achilles is the problem. It's the front of my ankle that feels like it's restricting forward motion, not the Achilles. Will stretching exercises help this?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Valkyrie, I think that's called a dorsiflexion issue. You can see some exercises here http://www.mikereinold.com/2013/03/ankle-mobility-exercises-to-improve-dorsiflexion.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting thread this - I think I now understand the pain I was getting skiing last season. I've just ordered a Prostretch but given how inflexible my ankles are now I don't think I'll ever be super flexible. So when I'm buying new boots what flex should I be getting? Current boots have a flex of 80 and are clearly too soft. Would 100 be stiff enough? 120? I need a boot that is stiffer than my ankles, but what other factors determine which flex is best? I'm 180cm tall, 92kg and mostly ski on piste and fairly fast.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
go see Alain Baxter Sports in Sterling
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dunno how good a boot fitter he is but his website is so bad I can't even work out where his shop is!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
21cm both legs, 25cm on each leg on their own. No excuse for sitting back so much when sking then Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know this thread is thoroughly dead, but I can only drop 1cm and still manage to ski... Flex isn't everything!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1 cm is pretty extreme! I don't think that test is really very important though, no way you can flex boots that much. I just gave it a go, 15 cms for me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In answer to JonkGrey78's original question, yes lack of ankle flex will affect your front crawl kick. I'm a Swim Teacher so not really qualified to comment on ankle flex as a factor in skiing ability but generally its a good thing, especially in later life, and a good way to maintain/improve it is gentle to moderate front crawl kick with a board
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
13 on the 11 week old broken ankle. 22 on the good foot. Guess there is still more work to be done there, though I hadn't tested it for 4 weeks since I first came out of the boot. I could only do 4 then!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mikeh wrote:
In answer to JonkGrey78's original question, yes lack of ankle flex will affect your front crawl kick. I'm a Swim Teacher so not really qualified to comment on ankle flex as a factor in skiing ability but generally its a good thing, especially in later life, and a good way to maintain/improve it is gentle to moderate front crawl kick with a board

Well, that explains why the physio recommended swimming to improve my ankle flexibility, shame I've been doing breast stroke Sad
ski holidays
@Tubaski, Me too... Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy