Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 13/14 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
I know the seasons are meant to be getting later, but this is pushing it a bit, this kind of snow would have been lovely in early April!!

This kind of snow would have been lovely in early March!!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why? Season is still going strong. We have people in our apartment for the next 2 weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
emwmarine, most resorts are shut by now! Where is your apartment??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
I know the seasons are meant to be getting later

Not sure I've seen much more than speculation on this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
emwmarine, most resorts are shut by now! Where is your apartment??

Val Thorens.

Reports from the last people said pistes in good condition but a bit slouchy in the afternoon and south facing snow disappearing. Nice top up just happening and snow forecast over the next few days.

We normally go ourselves first week in May but couldn't make it this year. I think we get 23 possible weeks from last week November to first week May.

Last year, or maybe it was the year before, I remember cycling up the hill in July in a blizzard. Mind you the snow disappeared the next day. In the summer in first thing in the morning it is often 2 or 3 degrees in Val Thorens then you feel it warm up and by the time you get down to St. Martin it is 16 degrees.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like a reasonable top up for the weekend.

Maximum snow depth often isn't reached until May at altitude though this season it will have been earlier because of the mild spring. Snow is certainly not unusual in May, just wait for the end of this week in the UK !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
emwmarine, do you have a link for your apartment? We normally do a week in an apartment in VT each year, so I'd be interested to take a look Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
soo ummm guys im thinking about booking my next trip now and wondered if someone can look at the wigglies for me and tell me if there will be knee deep pow pow for me on the 24th jan 2015 in tignes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like a good amount of snow at altitude (1800m plus) over the next few days.

Fresh snow for the Robbie concert.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Handy Turnip wrote:
emwmarine, do you have a link for your apartment? We normally do a week in an apartment in VT each year, so I'd be interested to take a look Smile

Sent a private mail as I don't think I am allowed to post advertising on here.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also keen emwmarine as I think we'll be heading back to VT next year?! Cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is at 2400m today in the Isere, fresh snow down to 1500m but apart from whitening the snow the fresh only changed the skiing conditions down to 2200.

be careful, there has been a strong N. wind over the last few days which has formed new slabs, some relatively small like this one on a S. slope at 2700m

but others big enough to bury you lurking higher up.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some snow early next week for eastern alps (austria)

Near schladming
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes Kaprun is looking good very good at the moment, I bet the locals are lapping it up.

http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/berg/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep looks like glaciers, particularly in the Austrian Alps are going to get a good top up with snow arriving Sunday and cold temperatures from Monday.
snow report
A lot of snow at Kaprun over the next few days but then early next week the temps increase from -10 to +6 Deg C @ 3000m.

http://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/wetter/berg/

Looks like it could be the start of summer.
latest report
The Saint's Days from 11-15 May are known as the Eisheiligen in German given the reputed frequency with which you get cold weather during this period. It ends on Sunday with Kalte Sophie. Though this year cooler temperatures look like lasting a few days longer.
latest report
Les seins de glace (frozen tits) in French Very Happy - for the humour impaired. A lot of avalanche activity on the French / Italian border but good snow conditions - here in the 7 Laux backcountry.

or as we say oop North - ne'er cast a clout til May is owt. (May being hawthorne blossom which you would see around mid-May)
snow conditions
Val Thorens closed on Sunday yet the conditions are still very good there. Real shame. Just hope it all melts for me to get my bike out in a few weeks.!
ski holidays
I know there is more to it than just deciding to keep a resort open - but this does seem a bit ridiculous.
Wish it was this good when I visited Ischgl in April - another resort which has better conditions now than then. lol.

http://valthorens.livecam360.net/station
snow report
Nearly time for the 14/15 thread and the first three pages of "is it going to snow" posts - most of them from me I expect Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Winter has set in again. The normally very conservative Hauser Kaibling forecast even talks of winter, strong snow, deep winter & blizzards for the next few days.

http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/de/wetter-schnee/
snow report
Ischgl at 1350m this morning. 30cm + up the mountain :[ gutted
snow conditions
Stubai has 40 cm fresh snow Shocked
latest report
DB, on top of 20 from yesterday, and 10 the day before that.

They closed a lot of lifts today though, and judging by webcams there is no visibly to speak of. I enjoy storm skiing when I can find trees or couloirs to get some contrast, but at the glacier you may as well be on the moon. Problem is, nowhere with trees has enough (any) base...

Hopefully I can find some better visibility and still reasonable snow touring at/near Axamer Lizum or Kuhtai, otherwise just have to wait for the weekend and hopefully clearer skies.
latest report
Schladming is looking pretty impressive on the webcams - might be a far away from Innsbruck though - still more snow to come there as well.
http://www.bergfex.com/schladming-planai/wetter/berg/

clarky999, I've not been on here that long perhaps 8 weeks so I guess you will have explained this already - what do you do for a living that allows you to live (and play) in Austria?
Would love to know as one of my career aspirations is to move to Austria/Italy to be close to the Alps and achieve a higher quality of life.
snow report
AthersT, I'm just a lowly shop sales bitch for H&M! I earn enough to live, and the work hours are flexible enough that I can get a lot of snowtime, but I have to admit it gets frustrating at times too.

I've also done a bit of freelance English proofreading, and have just scored a bit of freelance copywriting too. I'm halfway through a Digital Marketing post grad, which should hopefully open a few more doors, maybe even to one of those fabled 'career' things... We'll see.

In my part of the Alps there's quite a lot of English language work in marketing, science (particularly pharma/biomed) and engineering.
ski holidays
clarky999, Oh right, yeah I work for Bombardier - doing Engineering so that sounds hopeful. Just need to brush on my German! Sounds like general living costs are quite reasonable as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AthersT, for a lot of engineering jobs here you wouldn't need to speak German tbh.
snow report
AthersT, if you're looking for engineering work you are probably better off looking in Munich tbh.
snow report
AthersT, are you in the aerospace or the transportation division? Lots of options for engineers but it does help to have German, especially if you have to interact with craftsmen who may not have very strong English!

clarky999, what happened to your plan to train as a teacher in Austria? Still on the cards?
latest report
The steiermark avi service have released a report today, a level 3 in the Dachstein area with 60cms in last 24 hours and a further 50cm today. A jolly good post season dump, though temps look to be going up again over the weekend. Wish I was out there, must be some touring options.

http://lawine-steiermark.at/index.php?frame=lage

and the current radar shows the precip coming in from the NE - an unusual direction for these parts.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/wetterradar
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Transportation - I'm at Derby where we build Trains Smile
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:

clarky999, what happened to your plan to train as a teacher in Austria? Still on the cards?

Not really anymore, I just can't be bothered with another 5 years of studying to get qualified!
snow report
So how's the El Ninja sunspot thing looking for this seasons snow?

Time soon surely for Noza to start the new thread.
snow report
i was just wondering when Noza was going to make his 14/15 appearance
ski holidays
clarky999, are you sure about that? Doesn't the 5 years also include your uni degree as well as the professional training?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy