Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight cancellation - expenses claim?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello peeps.

1. Remind me never to take a summer holiday again

2. Who can help (pref by way of direct experience) with the following little question

I am on hols in lanzarote, due to fly back to STN today with Ryanair but they have just cancelled my flight due to atc strike in France. Next Ryanair flight not til Thursday but I have managed to book a monarch flight later today - but only to LGW

I get the cost of the Ryanair flight back from them that's ok

My question is about whether or not I can claim the various other expenses such as:
Cab from LGW to stn (to retrieve car) £80
Cost of extra day in stn car park £16
Late return of hire car in lanzagrotty €37
Extra cost of monarch flight over the Ryanair one £60

It do I just have to suck it up?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that not a travel insurance issue...
alternatively - read the Ts&Cs with Ryanair and if appropriate claim from them / small claims court

Alasdair
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah yes - insurance, good idea.

Would be very interesting to hear from anybody whose made such a claim in these circumstances
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The small print will probably stop you claiming very much, an excess will be applied to all the figures above, and someone will ask why did you not get the train to Stansted.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if it is cancelled -you're screwed if they offer you an alternative flight (stuck in Zurich this winter) if it is delayed I think you have more rights. This was my experience with insurers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, Ta. It seems I'm between the rock of accepting their Thursday flight (no thanks) and the hard place of paying my own expenses in dealing with the logistics of rebooking with another airline to try to get back today.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s all in EU (EC) Regulation 261/2004. Article 5 covers cancellation

You are entitled to a full refund (or re-routing as stated in Article Cool plus 250 Euro (assuming it’s a flight of less than 1500km) as stated in Article 7 assuming they aren’t covered by the exceptions in Article 5 Section (c).

Copy of EU (EC) Regulation 261/2004 available here:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:046:0001:0007:en:PDF

I’ve used this regulation with Monarch when they cancelled my flight. The 250 Euro should cover the extra costs. How keen Ryanair will be to pay is another matter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In another thread somewhere, in March Jet2 cancelled my flight back from Austria to Leeds (When it snowed here) and offered me a replacement flight the next weekend or a refund on the cancelled flight. I got the train to Innsbruck, staid in a hotel overnight, booked a new Thomson flight back to Manchester and my mate picked me up from Manc & took me to Leeds for the car.
NatWest Advantage Gold insurance paid for it all including my mate's diesel, less the amount Jet2 refunded me for the cancelled flight.
A travelling companion took the insurance at the time of booking on the Jet2 site and was offered twenty quid (I think) for the "delay"...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tarquin, the Natwest card insurance has saved our bacon on many occasions...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, Ryanair are about to be short 4 aircraft (that they presumably want) and the French judiciary are about to be long 4 aircraft that they had no obvious previous need for (or they'd have bought some).

Perhaps you could offer to intermediate for a small administrative fee? A newish 737 should get you a reasonable amount on fleabay.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
galpinos wrote:
It’s all in EU (EC) Regulation 261/2004. Article 5 covers cancellation

You are entitled to a full refund (or re-routing as stated in Article Cool plus 250 Euro (assuming it’s a flight of less than 1500km) as stated in Article 7 assuming they aren’t covered by the exceptions in Article 5 Section (c).

Copy of EU (EC) Regulation 261/2004 available here:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:046:0001:0007:en:PDF

I’ve used this regulation with Monarch when they cancelled my flight. The 250 Euro should cover the extra costs. How keen Ryanair will be to pay is another matter.

+1 for this. Spot on.

In addition you are entitled to have them pay for your hotel stay due to the delay/cancellatin of your fight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reference to the case under a new name, is referring to
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/31/us-ryanair-france-idUSBRE94U0RX20130531
Not dissimilar to its new of employing cabin crew directly or through intermediaries on zero hour contracts.
http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/04/11/ryanair-boss-denies-slave-contracts/
Some ways of reducing its costs are looking a step too far?
With apologies for the OT diversion.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just had my sons girlfriend in tears. They were here packing for a flight to Faro tomorrow and he got a CANCELLED email from Ryanair.

Yet another reason to be Francophile !!!.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, that's the one....

I see those regulations but this cancellation was covered under the exceptions which include strikes.

I've come to the conclusion I need to investigate insurance that covers this specific situation as mine is the '£20 for the delay' type

Got home at 4.45am today - but that's better than Thursday which is what Ryanair were offering
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Recently our BA flight returning from Berlin had to be cancelled (due to an emergency landing at Heathrow disrupting schedules). It was on the day before the two German football clubs played the final in England so every seat in alternatives were full both that evening and the next day. I must say they did everything they could - found us a flight to Dusseldorf, and a Heathrow flight the next morning and gave us the tickets. Paid up for the fairly expensive hotel at Dusseldorf Airport as soon as I presented the bill.
snow conditions
snowball, That's interesting... Good old BA (although those words stick in my craw)

Plan A for me is to try write to Ryaniair claimg my 400€ compo under the regs listed above and when they refuse (citing exceptional circs) I will pursue my Credit Card company for same as I think they're a softer target

Keep me busy anyway.

under a new name, Tarquin, Do either of you have a link to the wording from your Nat West Policies?? I'd like to see what it is I'm looking for so I can try and find such a level of cover myself as I think this is a very real risk of quite serious loss which I'd like to avoid incurring again
snow conditions
red 27, On the right hand side:
http://www.natwest.com/personal/adgold/g2/travel-insurance.ashx

Edit: ps, just reread under a new name's comment. Just to clarify, I haven't got the credit card, mine is with the bank account. There's a monthly fee but I think it costs in with the benefits (Especially this!)
ski holidays
Tarquin, Thanks,

This looks like the relevant section although as I think this strike was first announced/mooted in April it looks like exclusion number 2 would have ruled me out. Exclusion 2 looks tricky... I'm not sure what you're meant to do if there's been a strike announced before you leave home which may affect your return journey. Puzzled Cross fingers I guess...

H – Travel Delay and Travel Abandonment
What you are covered for
A – Delay
We will pay you up to £250 for the first four hours delay of the
pre-booked flight, sailing, train or coach for additional expenses
such as accommodation, travel, meals and refreshments which
arise because the transport you have checked-in for is delayed
– it doesn’t cover the cost of telephone calls.
B – Abandonment
We will pay you up to £5,000, if after the first:
– 6 hours delay on journeys of 4 nights or less, or
– 12 hours delay to your outbound flight from the UK on
journeys of 5 nights or more, you decide to abandon the
journey and return to your home address.
If you would like to claim under ‘abandonment’ please refer to
the cancellation section.

Claims conditions
In addition to anything mentioned in the general conditions, in
order for your claim to be considered you must:
1. Provide confirmation of the scheduled departure time as
detailed on your travel itinerary and the actual departure
time from the airline.
2. The delay must have been announced after you checked in.
3. Provide receipts confirming any additional costs you pay.

What you are not covered for (exclusions)
In addition to anything mentioned in the general exclusions,
we will not pay for claims, which are a result of:
1. You missing the check-in time as shown in your travel
itinerary for any reason.
2. A strike or any form of industrial action which had been
announced or commenced before you purchased the
travel tickets, obtained confirmation of booking or before
you departed from your home.
latest report
Hmm the EU regulations say it can only not pay if the cancellation is caused by unavoidable circumstances beyond its control, Ryanair will I'm sure try to claim that the ATC strike made this the case, However Monarch was able to fly apparently despite the strike which would suggest that in fact Ryanair did not need to cancel the flight or could have routed it differently .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy