Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm off-piste 19 May 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last Sunday 19th May, Andrew (Jungle on Winterhighlands website) and I skied some off piste at Cairngorm. I had skied mostly the White Lady and Headwall on the Friday on my own, and Saturday was raining and thick fog so we didn't ski (went to Fort George and Culloden battlefield).

The Funicular was starting to open later (first run 10.20). We did a run on the White Lady and then climbed up Cairngorm's Marquis Well on the left which was snowy up to just short of the ridge. We saw several Ptarmigan. Then over the top it was a matter of walking rocks and heather and skiing a few snow patches till we got to more sustained snow on the plateau. After a long traverse (and more Ptarmigan) and lots of consulting of the map, we finally reached some couloirs and spectacular views down to Loch A'an.

We skied the steep, narrow (and then very narrow) Diagonal Gully down to Loch A'an (320m vertical). (See Jungle's pics plus one off my phone) It looked complete from the top but there were a couple of holes where the stream had eaten the snow from underneath and the last 30 or 40m vertical was a scramble down over heather, leaving the boulder-strewn gully. Good fun. Then there was a walk along the Loch to Coire Raibeirt and a steep climb back up with skis on backpack in the strong sun, followed by a skin back up to the Head Wall. By then I was rather burned, having forgotten my sun-cream. Jungle had planned a more interesting return via Aladins or 5 Point but I had a flight to catch and time was running out.

(This one off my phone after the steepest section at the top while I waited for Jungle to put away his camera and join me)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-06-13 11:00; edited 20 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, great pics
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Magic stuff, snowball and well done for making the effort. Cool The gully appears really, very narrow and consequently looks somewhat trickier when you skied it compared to other pics I've seen when it's been better loaded.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just thought people who never went beyond the pistes around there might be interested to see where it was. I also ringed Aladins Couloir.
Coire Raibeirt west bank (which faces East) would have been skiable right down to the Loch.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 1-06-13 12:17; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, that looks great. thanks for posting
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice report David, looking warm there! no pix of Andrew?
See you next year
Jerry
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Jerry, no pix of Andrew but see the Ben Nevis thread which has a few of him.
I must say Diagonal Gully and especially Aladins couloir were both a bit more exciting than anything in Europe last season (though not as spectacular as the big Dolomites Canyon)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi David, thanks for posting. Having clicked on your link I'm now a fan of your art as well as your skiing. Evan
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wink evski
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy