Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lengths

Poster: A snowHead
JT, Definitely no lurking with me, although I do have a very long nose...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SkiBod,

Hire one length and agree with the hire shop to try the other length. You say something like "let me have the 166's today and if nobody books the 158's for tomorrow I'll rent them otherwise I'll stick with the 166's for another day till the 158's are available."

The proof of the pudding ......

parlor,

I too like the back country, over 20 out of my 30+ ski days last year were off-piste inc. guided tours and ski touring. I need a pair of skis that are going to let me ski on piste / powder / trees / bumps and crud etc as all of these can experienced while touring. Long wide skis are great for wide open backcountry bowls but hard work in other places (e.g. on-piste, bumps, trees). Short skis can be a real blast on piste and the speed limits of the short skis these days are probably higher than most here would reach.

parlor wrote:
DB, I was trying to be nice when I described certain people as "mellower" skiers for these exact reasons... Don't hate me for being so wrapped up in skiing (to me skiing is about big back country lines) that I'm almost blinkered at times...

Not hating anybody for being mad about skiing and skiing lots, fill your boots up while you can.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 14-11-05 20:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiBod, I like this sizing guide. I think it's a good general indicator though by consensus the snowHeads jury thinks the skier level scale to be, how can I put this sensitively, utter ballux.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Curious - according to their charts I ski on EXACTLY the right lengths! 155 on piste and 168 (165) off piste. Wow!!! NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And it puts my B2's right at 170's - just what I bought. Do you think that they are sending out psychic waves forcing us to agree to their sizing guides?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't think it works for me. Puts me at 145 for slalom and on piste skis! 155 for all mountain. Whereas I actually ski 155 and 162 respectively. Think it doesn't work for me as I'm probably below average weight for my height (55kgs, 173 cms).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me it varies depending on whether I weigh myself on a Friday or a Monday. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, go for 198 monster fats and then you can eat and drink what you like....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
parlor, I'm most certainly NOT getting the W version of any ski.

Most of my skiing is piste, so I want something that handles nicely on fast carves...hence not wanting the B3.

1, Why not a womans ski?

2, I've skied very few skis that carve as nice a turn as a B3. 2005/6 Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Have you skied the Dynastar 8000 too? If so how does it compare to the new B3?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikededges, Thanks for the sizing guide link, that was helpful and I think confirms the 166s as the best to start with. Is the instruction to add 5cm for freerides mainly because of the actual construction of the ski (they need the extra length to perform best) or because of the conditions they are designed for ( the extra length is best for float in really deep off piste conditions?) It may sound like I'm splitting hairs, but I will be mainly be using them on piste and it is the slushy / cruddy stuff I need help with.

BTW ~ Interested that the jury think the skier level scale is utter ballux ~ I'd say I was a 6 on that scale, and that seems to agree with other scales I've looked at... so seems relatively consistent for me. But adjusted depending on slushy / cruddy conditions (go back three spaces and start shouting a lot!) or over-enthusiastic alcohol consumption the night before...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:

1, Why not a womans ski?

2, I've skied very few skis that carve as nice a turn as a B3. 2005/6 Twisted Evil

1. Because I'm yet to find one that handles in a better way than the mens version, for me.

2. Fine for you, but I prefer the B2.

Okay? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The only problem with the chart is it doesn't go high enough...

DB, You so need a pair of these Volkl Sumo. Only available in 175, with a 125mm waist.

Short skis have a place. While I'm enjoying skiing the way I do, long 'n' wide is working for me. I'd love it if other snowHead could feel the way I do when I'm up there.

edit: fixed the link
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, I´m sure some of us can...but why long and wide? My 218 DH Blizzards are only about 75 wide and float very nicely once you´re used to them...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It would be a case of getting re-used to them... Well not the Blizzards. My first skis were a pair of 210 Fischer RC4s Vacuum, thinking of having a retro day this winter.
snow conditions
parlor, shall we meet and do a retro day together? Pastel coloured SOS kit too?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy