Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Iphone apps for off piste and randonee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can I pick the Snowheads' hive brain ?
What mapping-type apps do you find most useful when off piste or for route planning in the Alps ?
What's indispensable, what's "nice to have" ?
Googling this has just confused me so over to you guys - all advice/links gratefully received.
And yes, sure, mobile phones are no substitute for training/experience/map/compass/dedicated gps etc etc but accepting all the usual provisos what's best to have on your phone ?
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FatMap is useful.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can have offline maps with googlemaps.

Slopes app also does some stuff like recording your route & having 3d maps
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for FatMap
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FATMAP is very good for planning. Knowing where you are and knowing where you’ve been. It’s got some good safety features and is also like a really good guide book. Looks great too.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
iphigenie for french mapping. Indispensable? Almost...
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately Fatmap can't seem to open without crashing on my ancient ipad and it's a bit difficult to assess on my phone screen . Why do you find it so useful exactly ?
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gvj, Route planning. I'd advise against taking youre ipad, could be a bit bulky on the mountain wink

Or use a 1:25,000 scale map? It worked for many years before Fatmap etc.....I use both, Fatmap largely for interst sake on dark evenings amusement, and zoom right in (if available), then 1:25000 map for looking at detailed terrain before setting off on my trip.....that said i'm not doing much ups mostly downs and never alone. Fatmap really good but not a map replacement by any means.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It has useful overlays of things like terrain steepness on top of 3D satellite imagery. Good for visualising off-piste routes that you might be thinking about, making sure you can exit back to where you want to, no nasty surprises like dense forest, etc. Not something that I would rely on fully in terrain I was completely new to, which a proper topo map (on screen or in paper) would seem to be the best if you are planning touring routes.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Topo GPS is pretty handy as a 1:25,000 scale map on your phone and nowhere near as graphic hungry as Fatmap. You can trace routes mark way points etc + as long you have a signal you know where you are on the map. You buy the sections you need, and much of Europe is covered. In France it uses IGN maps, in the UK Ordnance Survey.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice to have is Relive. Here's one of a hike I did, but it's good fun to watch/relive your day on skis too.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1689051744
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On a side topic, iPhones turn off way quicker than Samsung phones in the cold in my experience. Apparently its do to with battery temperature protection. I found iPhone pretty useless S7 lasts all day.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would not rely on any thing battery powered as my sole source of information off piste or touring. I use an app as an amusement, and have even carried a battery recharger. But in the cold, anything can happen to battery driven gadgets. Map and compass and know how to use them.
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neither would I
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You could try ViewRanger with European mapping at 1:25,000
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy