Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain safety level 3

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
would a semi permanent pen do the same job? nice tip though!
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
could do but end up with loads of marks and I would think get confusing. Also you might get it wrong in first instance and tough to change...
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ajc2260626, knowing your location needs to be an ongoing thing when you have responsibility for navigating, not just something you calibrate once or twice a day. Having a marker which is quickly and easily moved every time you re-look at the map would be the priority, rather than something which is semi-permanent.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep i generally like to know where i am every 5 mins when using a map so that should work for me
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ajc2260626 wrote:
yep i generally like to know where i am every 5 mins when using a map so that should work for me
Ditto. When I was leading the group I'd need to look at the map every time there was a decision point, and sometimes in between those times to make sure I'm still following the route I was working on. That might not have been every five minutes, but frequently enough to make good use of an easily moveable location marker. The plaster trick works best on the laminated versions of the topo maps.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ajc2260626 wrote:
would a semi permanent pen do the same job? nice tip though!

Another option is two elastic bands, forming a cross hair across the map. It depends how often you need to fold/refold the map. Doing mountain marathons I tend to just fld the map small and "thumb" it but that wouldn't work in winter.

I also hate map cases with a passion and would only use on in very inclement weather (and even then, very rarely), just keep the map stuffed down the front of your jacket.
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy