Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussie asking random Euro ski questions

Poster: A snowHead
sbooker wrote:
I imagine the answer will be yes but do most ski resorts (we’ll be in the Zillertal valley first) have ski sales shops as well as rental? And are European ski prices similar from resort to resort and country to country?
Plan is to demo some before buying.

1 Absolutely
2 Well MSRP will be the same but discount from that may vary enormously depending on how commercial the owner is, time of season, what you are buying etc etc. Obviously a pile it high sell it cheap valley city warehouse may deal slightly differently from a premium rent next to the slopes stripped pine chi chi boutique. Or put another way at the end of season you should be looking for skis that are 40-50% off MRSP. Those same skis may be in shops at the beginning of next season but marked back up at say 20% off MRSP.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
sbooker wrote:
I imagine the answer will be yes but do most ski resorts (we’ll be in the Zillertal valley first) have ski sales shops as well as rental? And are European ski prices similar from resort to resort and country to country?
Plan is to demo some before buying.

1 Absolutely
2 Well MSRP will be the same but discount from that may vary enormously depending on how commercial the owner is, time of season, what you are buying etc etc. Obviously a pile it high sell it cheap valley city warehouse may deal slightly differently from a premium rent next to the slopes stripped pine chi chi boutique. Or put another way at the end of season you should be looking for skis that are 40-50% off MRSP. Those same skis may be in shops at the beginning of next season but marked back up at say 20% off MRSP.

I'm tight at heart so I always up for buying last years model - my ego can handle having the red instead of the yellow.
I'd like to try the Atomic Vantage and Salomon QST. I've only ever rented so anything should be better than the mid spec hire gear I normally slide on.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker, come earlier to Zermatt for a Ski Test Smile
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, yes ! Cheaper down the valley, more expensive in the glitzy resorts in my experience!
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’d like to clarify the ski insurance situation in Europe please.
When I purchase a lift ticket I have the option of paying a couple of dollars extra for insurance - is that correct? If so that insurance covers me if I break my leg skiing down a marked piste? But does not cover me if I’m skiing off a marked piste?

Do I need this insurance if I have regular travel insurance that covers me for inbounds skiing?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sbooker, carre neige is available in France. You should look at insurance for off piste....be careful some insurers will only cover you if you are with a guide. What sort of off piste do you intend to do and where?
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest because we will be there early season I expect we’ll be restricted to groomers. If the season is an early starter I suppose we may get an opportunity to ski off piste while we are based in Aosta in early January. In that case I would hire a guide of course.
I’m going with low expectations snow wise that way there’s no chance of disappointment. It will be a privilege sliding on any form of white cold stuff while taking in the famed scenery and general atmosphere.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 23-07-18 23:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sbooker, just be careful of the inbounds concept...it doesn't exist in Europe. If you are insured for on piste only then you are not covered for playing on the sides of the piste or cutting across through the trees.check your insurance
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, I don't add the lift ticket insurance as my travel insurances covers my skiing. Note without this though you may have to pay for mountain evacuation/ambulance etc etc and then claim back.
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski,
Thanks for that. Sounds like a good plan.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
re insurance-with-the-skipass: there are lots of threads on this, but for me the upshot is that it's as much a matter of convenience as anything. Add on the extra cover for a small amount per day and your recovery and heli-evac off the mountain is all sorted. Having been involved in a couple of accidents, the process around contacting your main insurer and claiming back is the last thing on your mind if the accident is serious. Seems worth it to me but not everyone agrees.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven’t experienced European style apres ski. As close as I imagine would be the pub down the bottom of Whistler or maybe the Ajax Tavern.
If for example I am in Austria is the music sung in Austrian or English or a combination of the two.
If they are in English what songs might I know?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back to the insurance question, +1 add insurance to the ski pass anyway for convinenance and peace of mind. My travel insurance in Sweden covers on and offpiste, with or without a guide (when I specifically asked and got an answer in writing), but still for a few extra quid I add insurance to my ski pass in France. Carre neige covers offpiste according to their FAQs https://carreneige.com/en/faq/. Per advice from another thread on Snowheads, for Austria I joined the Bergrettung (Austrian Mountain Rescue) - http://www.bergrettung.at/ENGLISH.484.0.html
latest report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
I haven’t experienced European style apres ski. As close as I imagine would be the pub down the bottom of Whistler or maybe the Ajax Tavern.
If for example I am in Austria is the music sung in Austrian or English or a combination of the two.
If they are in English what songs might I know?
Thanks in advance.

Depends whether you're getting traditional Austrian apres cheese in which case it might be comedy german lyrics to a otherwise known tune or a live band in which case it's most likely to be cover versions in English.
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sbooker, English songs will be DJ Ötzi Sweet Caroline also country roads and cotton eye Joe. Austrian...to many to mention...Google Austrian apres songs
snow report     
@sbooker, some fine examples here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95163#2179802
snow report     
Gämsbock wrote:
@sbooker, some fine examples here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=95163#2179802

Shocked Shocked Shocked