Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Playful vs Directional skis

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
uktrailmonster wrote:
clarky999 wrote:


This makes me wonder if your Atris's had a bad tune or concave base? As there's no way that design should - or in my experience is - harder to ski than the Monsters! They literally ARE in the park/freesytle inspired AM ski category you mention later...


I'd be surprised if it was the tune as they were brand new factory fresh and they felt fine on the freshly groomed runs carving out medium and large radius turns.


See this review http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2016-2017-moment-meridian/2 where the reviewer skied a new ski with the edges higher than the base- it can completely change the ski. IME factory tunes are normally pretty rubbish and not a guarantee. It's worth a check as your opinion on the skis is quite surprising given both mine and many others experience with them.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JackSkier wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
clarky999 wrote:


This makes me wonder if your Atris's had a bad tune or concave base? As there's no way that design should - or in my experience is - harder to ski than the Monsters! They literally ARE in the park/freesytle inspired AM ski category you mention later...


I'd be surprised if it was the tune as they were brand new factory fresh and they felt fine on the freshly groomed runs carving out medium and large radius turns.


See this review http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2016-2017-moment-meridian/2 where the reviewer skied a new ski with the edges higher than the base- it can completely change the ski. IME factory tunes are normally pretty rubbish and not a guarantee. It's worth a check as your opinion on the skis is quite surprising given both mine and many others experience with them.


I will check them out thoroughly when I get back out to Canada in December where I left them in our apartment. I totally agree that my experience with these skis is totally at odds with what you would expect, given their design and reviews. But nonetheless, they didn't perform anything like advertised and if it turns out the factory tune is rubbish then that's a good enough reason not to buy any more BC skis. I've never had any such issues with any other skis from Head, Volkl, Atomic, Line, etc, etc. So far I'm not that impressed with them.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horizon,
Quote:

Interesting. I do find the R018CL easy to ski on piste...as long as you're just happy drifting around and not trying to put in some proper carved turns. In the latter case, they're only ok when the snow softens, but there's no way to trust them for a faster turn on harder snow, let alone ice.

Don't get me wrong - they aren't ideal on piste but I can carve a limited range of turn shapes on them. They are just much much better on piste than the Redeemers! I've never skied any DPS skis but most of them seem to have a bit more sidecut (like Rossi Soul etc) and shorter radius than R108s so I can imagine they ARE better on piste.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m not certain I understand the premise of the thread. I have tried twin tips and really didn’t like them, ditto for reverse camber. I would like a lively ski that can turn easily but is light and fat enough with some rocker for skiing off piste. How does that fit into the “playful vs directional” debate?
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I would like a lively ski that can turn easily but is light and fat enough with some rocker for skiing off piste. How does that fit into the “playful vs directional” debate?



It's a 50/50 compromise between the two isn't it? At the mid point of the spectrum?
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gordyjh wrote:
I’m not certain I understand the premise of the thread. I have tried twin tips and really didn’t like them, ditto for reverse camber. I would like a lively ski that can turn easily but is light and fat enough with some rocker for skiing off piste. How does that fit into the “playful vs directional” debate?


The premise of the thread was basically how do centre mounted park inspired twin-tip AM skis (Like the Line SFB) compare with the latest crop of "Big Mountain" skis of similar footprint, given that they appear (on paper at least) to be merging in design to some extent e.g. more forgiving flex pattern, more centred mounting points, rockered tips and tails etc. My personal experience with the previous gen Line SFB and BC Atris (both 108 mm under foot, both with similar tip and tail rocker, similar overall stiffness, both relatively centre mounted) couldn't have been more different in character and I was very surprised how differently they performed. To the point where I'm now starting to think I've been dealt a dud set of BC skis from the factory.

In the same vane I was also considering how more traditional "directional chargers" (Head Monsters, Dynastar Legend Pros, Kastles etc) compare to some of the more progressive designs like the BC Atris. I'm none the wiser after this season's experiment!

You appear to be looking for a ski that could potentially come from both camps. You obviously don't need a twin-tip, but some of those skis are pretty lively and can certainly turn easily, while providing enough footprint and rocker to work well off piste. Line SFBs are pretty hard to beat in those respects, although there are lighter options today.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think my problem with a twin tip is that I am standing too close to the front and feel like I am in danger of going over the handlebars all the time. As I don’t intend to go backwards I feel they don’t suit my style.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gordyjh wrote:
I think my problem with a twin tip is that I am standing too close to the front and feel like I am in danger of going over the handlebars all the time. As I don’t intend to go backwards I feel they don’t suit my style.


Yeah, they require a more centred stance, skiing from the centre rather than loading the tips. But that's how I like it. The Line SFB was my first foray into centre mounted skis back in 2012 and I felt at home on them from the very first turn. The Atris is mounted further back relative to the SFB (although quite forward compared to more traditional skis), so I thought I would feel at home there too. My Volkl 90Eights have a more traditional mounting point and feel very nice too, making a fantastic all-rounder. They have that ability to carve or slide on demand as you feel like it. The Line SFBs feel quite loose on piste but can carve neat short radius turns with almost zero effort providing the piste is reasonably soft/grippy. The Atris feels more at home carving out large GS turns and anything else I found harder work than necessary.