Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussie asking random Euro ski questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@DrLawn,
Thanks for the train tips. That will come in handy. The ski safari things sounds fantastic but we might have to leave it for another time.
@TQA,
We’re going to stay at the Portovescovo I think. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I’ll make sure I post a trip report. Thanks again for the replies.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sbooker wrote:
@DrLawn,

@TQA,
We’re going to stay at the Portovescovo I think. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The above looks good but if you want close then look at the hotel Mesdi we stayed there and it is virtually ski in ski out.

We got to be friends with the Malita owners as they were also Ducati owners and welcomed bikers in the summer. A rideout in the Dollys is special.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you plan on driving around you are very unlikely to need snow chains. The only people I know around here who even have them let alone use them would those who access mountain huts involving driving on uncleared private roads or tracks. A four wheel drive vehicle with winter tyres will cope with 99% of conditions you might come across. When roads do get closed it is usually because of avalanche danger. Some years (like last season) various resorts can get cut off for short periods because of this.

Snow clearing is very efficient, occasionally a very heavy sudden snow storm causes issues if the roads get blocked with vehicles and the snow ploughs cant get through but it is rare. All the main resort access roads are kept clear and even those high passes open in winter eg Flexenpass, Arlbergpass will be clear pretty soon after the snow has finished.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of the US and Canadian resorts have guided tours from volunteers so you can get to know the mountain. Does this happen in Europe? It’s not important - we’ll be happy to check things out ourselves if need be.
Also I understand the rules about skiing ‘off piste’ are very different in Europe. Are there any areas that have been avalanche patrolled but are not ‘bashed’ as you call it? I assume the mogul runs are fine to ski with no act gear?
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, The "rules" vary from place to place, in general there are no specific rules. If you decide to ski areas officially marked as closed that's up to you.

In Austria and some other places there are "ski routes". The exact definition does vary, some are simply paths which are too narrow to qualify as official pistes, many are pisted to some extent though some are completely unprepared, there are usually a line of poles to mark the route and this area has been checked so that it is not threatened by avalanches. However they are not patrolled and the snow quality might be variable. They are often the most interesting piste (of a kind) skiing and often have mogul sections. For example in the Arlberg area a good number of the most well known runs are now ski routes, some are basically pistes which can be skied in reasonable conditions by most competent skiers eg the Madloch runs, some are mogul fields eg Osthang others are really expert only routes eg Langerzug. There are usually many piste side areas that are heavily skied but are really off piste, the line between being "properly" off piste ie needing to have avi kit and a good local knowledge and just taking a minor detour ie not really being off piste is pretty fuzzy, often the subject of arguments around here.

Some of the Brit tour companies used to organise guided tours of the type you mention for their clients, however that now been ruled illegal in France (basically you need a proper qualification) and not sure if it continues elsewhere. The Ski Club of Great Britain does have a system where they have volunteer reps in some resorts (outside of France) who offer various guided trips see https://www.skiclub.co.uk/ski-club-leaders. I suspect this is likely to have to be abandoned at some point due to similar legal issues as in France but was in operation last season.
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy