Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice for nervous mother and ski lifts!?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am skiing in the 3 valleys next week with my two children (aged 5 and 4) and am feeling increasingly neurotic about them going on ski lifts....
They will be in ski school with ESF during the mornings and I am just worrying about them being on a lift without me (who would constantly be telling them how to sit etc etc 😂) or even without the instructor, as they obviously canít sit with every child in the class.
What if they fall off if the bar is raised too early, or are put next to someone who canít understand or help them if they get upset?! (My husband thinks Iím overreacting but I could really do with some reassurance so we all enjoy the trip!)
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mrsmarmite, welcome to snowheads. What if, What if, What if.... the people they are on the lift with will look after them. You would look after a child wouldn't you? They might not speak the same language but if the children are upset the adult would surely make soothing noises and hold onto them if necessary. What would you do in that situation? Why would anyone else act differently?
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe they'll stick them on those magnetic lifts so they can't fall off. Quite a lot of beginner slope chair lifts have child places these days too so they're less likely to slide out.

They'll be fine. It's not good PR for ski resorts to have kids falling off lifts left, right and centre.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They will be fine. I always check the children put on my lift are ok and I have seen others do the same.

Children are remarkably obedient without mum and dad around.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Maybe they'll stick them on those magnetic lifts so they can't fall off. Quite a lot of beginner slope chair lifts have child places these days too so they're less likely to slide out.

Thank you, I didnít know about this (am also a ski novice myself!)
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm fairly certain esf in the 3valleys use those magnetic things for the young children, if they don't you can hire them, I'm sure they also send them up one at a time so they can be attached.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they are beginners (as I'd expect at 5 & 4) then its more than likely they'll be sticking to magic carpets and draglifts. Chairlifts are always a last resort as you cant keep an eye on all the kids, and there is always more waiting around at the top for those that get off first. You might find if the lessons are going well and the group progressing that they'll try chairlifts, but even then they'll be slower, and they'll never take lifts alone. If in doubt have a chat with the ESF instructors - despite their arrogance wink they are pretty good with kids and have these concerns from parents all the time.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad it's not just me Smile
We're in Val Thorens next week with my 5 year old lad.
He'll mostly be skiing with me as I teach him on the magic carpets and I'm secretly hoping that he'll progress to 2 Lac lift fairly quickly.
Tiny kids on lifts with dangly legs with big weights on the end always worry me! Especially if said kid is my own!
I was worried last year (4), but he didn't leave the little fenced off area all week in classes.
I'm going to check the height restrictions on the lift and see if there's one of those thigh pinchers in place, then take it from there.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@gravity-slave, they're called 'nutcrackers' from my POV Evil or Very Mad

@Mrsmarmite, It's almost certain that they won't be anywhere near a chairlift till they've got basic skills and other people on a chair will almost always when asked, look after a nipper and those that say no are not forced to. Both you and they will be fine Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I learnt quickly to sit further back! Wink
Knowledge I'll pass on to my son to preserve the option of future generations!
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A child needing help is a universal language. Everyone looks after little ones; they just do. Wonít it be a while until theyíre on a chairlift anyway? Besides the operators are so good with kids on drag lifts. If you do a couple of lifts when you get there that will help settle them in as well. Other than that the kids will just have to listen to the instructor (which theyíre used to at school) plus they like to follow each other. It will be fine.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gravity-slave, wearing a backpack is the culprit Confused
ski holidays