Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, Oh no, you're going when I'm not there! Gutted I'll miss you Sad I'll see you on the EoSB though I think?
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can anyone give me a quick update on current off piste conditions? Thanks Smile
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@coolbeanz, I have a feeling that there was probably about 25cms overnight, on a very solid base, so maybe quite nice.

But it was a sunny day today, so it will all be tracked by now.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, slightly better than I suggested, per the Guides,

[ INFOS CONDITIONS DU JOUR ]
Sur ces dernières quarante-huit heures, il est tombé une trentaine de cm de neige fraîche et poudreuse à 2000 m.
L’enneigement est très bon dès le fond de vallée pour chausser skis ou raquettes. En dessous de 1500 m, la petite couche de neige fraîche adoucit les itinéraires piétons et raquettes qui étaient en neige dure.
Les conditions de ski sont donc être très agréables mais attention tout de même au manteau neigeux qui peut être localement instable.
En haute montagne, le sommet de l’Aiguille du Midi qui est en cours de déneigement, annonce 80 cm de neige soufflée.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, thanks for the update. I'm heading out next week and I've been hearing that, so far, it's been an awesome season. A welcome change from the last few years!
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was around 20-30 cm very light fluffy powder at 2000m, we had an amazing day at les houches today where it felt like nothing had been pisted because I guess a lot fell last night after grooming was done.

I was told (unverified) that brevent top bin didn’t open today, so there will still be plenty of fresh tracks tomorrow but not by next week! In light of this I’m off to Brevent tomorrow...
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Back from another successful trip. Managed to miss the storms again... but did manage to find an abundance of deep, fresh snow for the entire 8 days I was out.

Highlights include the Brèche Puiseux, the Col du Pissoir and the best conditions I've seen in the Berard valley (accessed from the Belvedere)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfHSPiSnxUO/?taken-by=fergusmccarroll

snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks mega, good effort!

Even though I lucked into a load of storm skiing when out in January, by the end of the week I was kind of hankering after a bit of sun and runs like that...
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone know more about this.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/02/13/chamonix-un-pere-et-son-fils-pris-dans-une-petite-avalanche
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jbob wrote:
Anyone know more about this.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/02/13/chamonix-un-pere-et-son-fils-pris-dans-une-petite-avalanche

I was trying to work out where it was, somewhere off Posettes perhaps?
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
says it was just to the side of the caisets piste.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know that at least towards the bottom of Caisets there are some steeper slopes that often self trigger.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off to Chamonix tomorrow and looking to buy a ski touring set-up.

What are the best shops in town to go to? Puzzled
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Concept Pro is one.
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@coolbeanz, Snells often have s/h stuff. If your on a budget then decathlon down the valley.
snow report     
@coolbeanz,
Before you go into a shop, do you know what you want? Have you an idea of a couple of skis? Do you want lightish kit to travel long distances or hefty dude gear requiring a thousand euros worth of Norona clothing before thinking of anything else?

Do you already have touring boots or not?

The best place to get properly fitted boots may not be the best place to buy skis and bindings.

Put some thought into what you want before walking into any of the shops.
snow conditions     
Concept Pro
snow conditions     
Thanks @jbob, @HammondR and @redrunmarcus. I'm looking to buy both boots and skis . I'm more interested in the day-tour category of stuff, where I won't sacrifice too much of the ski performance, so yes, probably falls more into the "hefty dude gear requiring a thousand euros worth of Norona clothing" category I guess Laughing. I really haven't explored my options in that much detail. I've only rented touring gear to date, so I'm not kit expert. I would like to go somewhere where I would benefit from fairly objective professional advise. For the sake of clarity, I more of an Arc'teryx kind of guy... NehNeh
snow conditions     
@coolbeanz, get your boots from Sanglard. Just received fantastic service from them yesterday, as usual. If you can't get an appointment with them in time, then try Sole, ditto Footworks by the Midi.

Concept Pro are a helpful shop. Things may have changed there, but a couple of years ago when we were looking at hosing money at skill compensating skis, they didn't stock the top range of Volkl BMT touring skis.

Snell do stock more or less everything, so if you chose to buy the lot from the one shop you should be able to negotiate a 15/20% discount. You won't get a discount at the good boot fitters. However, as an Arcteryx wearing citizen of the capital, money may be no object.

Good luck. When your purchase is made please enlighten us how it went.
snow report     
The second-hand market in Chamonix is flooded with good, cheap stuff. People get injured, buy stuff that's not for them or have to leave town - all usually looking for a quick sell. Join the facebook 'buy and sell' group, linger for a week and you'll have yourself a bargain.
ski holidays     
Thanks @HammondR and @Fergus!

I guess boots will be my first priority. Is it definitely worth going to a proper boot fitter? Are the likes of Snell or Concept Pro unlikely to do a good job?
latest report     
I’d say yes if you’re going to use them for normal resort skiing too. If you’re only ever going to tour in them you’ll be walking 95% of the time so fit isn’t as important if it’s only 5% of the time you’ll actually have them clipped tight.
snow report     
Just for info, Concept have had boot fitters for a few seasons now, one at least is former Sole. Most of the staff/owners are former Sanglard.

Don’t know if Jules is still at Sanglard, but if going there and in the absence of any other info, he.’s the chap I’d want.

I don’t think Footworks still exists? Certainly, the key staff formed Sole.

For a day tour ski, the Blizzard Zero-Gs are well reviewed, and pretty light.
latest report     
Thanks @under a new name!
snow conditions     
Skied flegere today,only lasted 2 hours as I got completely soaked to the skin, pretty grim conditions with sleet at around 1800 metres and heavy snow/whiteout conditions at the top.

Should be good tomorrow though!
snow conditions     
Ueah, we had changeover to do and some creative maintenance, didn’t feel we were missing anything
latest report     
GM Snow lovely above 2500m, cement below that, but empty pistes have made for some great high speed carving fun in the slush.

Rain just transitioning to sleet in argentiere. Tomorrow will be great, naturally, because I have to fly home.
snow report     
Had boots fitted by Jules at Sanglard and Steve at Sole based on recommendations on here. Both were very good. It’s the fitter not the shop that makes the difference. For Skis the FB buy and sell group is excellent or Snell in town for the biggest selection
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone with surplus energy, plenty of untracked powder to be had touring up the glaciers. About 12 made it to the top of the Col D'Argentiere yesterday. Fresh tracks all the way down, and plenty left to be had.
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy