Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inside Ski Control

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was looking back through my Flickr photos and I came across this still from a GoPro clip. I've been trying to concentrate on weighting the outside ski which I'm slowly improving on, but one of the side effects seems to be the inside ski drifting, if that's the right word - basically the tip flaring out and lifting.

Any suggestions for remedying this? (And anything else you can see!)

ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@narbs, you are leaning back, hence the tip lifting and only the tail of the inside ski is engaged. Get centered on the ski....cut n paste from another thread I replied on below...

DO THIS ON A REALLY EASY GREEN SLOPE

try lifting *JUST* the tail of the inside ski after a turn, when in the traverse and keep the tip pressed on the snow. I suspect you won't be able to do this at first. Once you can do this try and introduce the inner ski lift near the end of the turn, then introduce it earlier and earlier in the turn. Ensure JUST the tail is lifted and tip is on the snow. Look at the drill 3min 20secs into this video


http://youtube.com/v/mK0phPEMsag


Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-12-17 23:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@narbs, at what point in the turn does this happen? Start, end? A couple of things to think about, if the inside ski is diverging (steering a tighter arc than the outside ski) one likely cause is you are moving your centre of mass inside the turn too much, getting stuck on your inside ski and not balancing effectively on the outside ski through until the end of the turn. If you are lifting the tip inside ski you are either too far back, and/or not balancing effectively on the outside ski at the start of the turn (if the lifting occurs at the start of the turn).
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@narbs, Does it occur when you ski without a rucksack?
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all.

@kitenski, thanks, I'll use that exercise.

@rob@rar, I'll fish out the video but I'm sure the inside ski starts out flat and parallel, and moves up and out through the turn. Clearly still not enough weight on the outside ski?

@ALQ, no idea! I'll do some testing.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
narbs wrote:
@rob@rar, I'll fish out the video but I'm sure the inside ski starts out flat and parallel, and moves up and out through the turn. Clearly still not enough weight on the outside ski?
That might account for it, posting the video will help to see what's going on.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
@narbs, you are leaning back, hence the tip lifting and only the tail of the inside ski is engaged. Get centered on the ski....cut n paste from another thread I replied on below...

DO THIS ON A REALLY EASY GREEN SLOPE

try lifting *JUST* the tail of the inside ski after a turn, when in the traverse and keep the tip pressed on the snow. I suspect you won't be able to do this at first. Once you can do this try and introduce the inner ski lift near the end of the turn, then introduce it earlier and earlier in the turn. Ensure JUST the tail is lifted and tip is on the snow. Look at the drill 3min 20secs into this video


http://youtube.com/v/mK0phPEMsag


I've done that drill during the Castleford mogul course, very good it is as well. He refers to it in that video as a Dolphin turn, I thought a dolphin turn was on both skis and more of a flippy popping off the tails onto the tips?
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@endoman,

you said...
Quote:

He refers to it in that video as a Dolphin turn, I thought a dolphin turn was on both skis and more of a flippy popping off the tails onto the tips?



and i would agree with you and i hope all PSIA, CSIA, BASI would to...see this:
'
http://youtube.com/v/-WWkKOSoYEs '
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@narbs,

Quote:

Any suggestions for remedying this? (And anything else you can see!)



this comment comes under 'and anything else you can see'...umm, that RH pole looks very long.

Also, in the pose that i see, it looks to me like 60/70% weighted on R downhill ski with 40/30% on L uphill ski . It's clear you're standing mostly on your R leg and hips and body position confirm this imo. I think you're in a fairly good stance ( to my eye), ready for a brief transition into the next turn. Just on this one photo, this is all i can say...post some video if you want.

The way you hold the poles, arm positions, pole tips just off the snow etc in this brief moment look quite professional to me...quite BASI looking.

The 'transition period' , brief as you want it to be, is shown here...it's a moment where feet, hips, shoulders are all momentarily underneath one-another - bit like a 'reset' and a pre-turn, 'ready position' for good neutrality before entering into the next turn. If you commit yourself into a turn, carrying 'STUFF' over from the previous turn , then very quickly balance, timings and control all get progressively out of sync. Embarassed

'
http://youtube.com/v/qyfO8vs41GI '
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes the turn in the original video he called a dolphin turn is actually a stork turn since it looks like a stork lifting one leg. I think he's just getting confused between his animals Happy.

The video T_Hee has shows what I'd describe as a dolphin turn.
ski holidays     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy