Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Alps trip for Aussies - So many Pistes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Dr John, I realise that, but as he's only done four weeks I've suggested somewhere where he can probably ski most of the runs in the resort and get a real sense of travel. I'm a pretty experienced piste skier, and I don't enjoy the piste skiing in St Anton that much (I've often found it crowded and icy). It's far better for gnarly off-piste experts IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent resort but maybe not for a lower intermediate. I love Val d'Isere but a lot of the runs are undergraded, same for Ischgl. I think Val and Ischgl are best for very confident intermediates.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I've been madly googling the resorts mentioned and have narrowed it down to a few of the big mega areas in France/Austria. It will probably come down to cost and availability in the end as they all seem to have more than enough skiing for us for the week.
At the moment we haven't decided on which week to go skiing, how does Jan/Feb/Mar compare to each other? (December and school holidays are out for us).
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AussieInMancland, late January is cheap, conditions could be cold/icy or superb. February is a good bet for decent conditions but expensive as clashes with half terms. March could be a bit warm but most likely to be the best balance of conditions/weather/price imo. April (after Easter) can be superb value but you risk being limited to staying high up.

Personally I'd look at mid-March, more likely to have nice weather and a cheap price as long as you can avoid any school holidays.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SnoodlesMcFlude At the moment we are thinking the last week of Jan that bleeds into the start of Feb, before the hols and from what I've seen of snow depth charts there should be plenty of snow around.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Somebody discounted St Anton, Ischgl and Val d'Isere, this is crazy, these are three premier ski resorts with St Anton being my top choice as the link to Lech is now open but you would have a great time at any of the three.

Ischgl has the wildest night life. St Anton has the best bars for that thirst quencher at the end of the day. Val d'Isere [ Espace Killy ] has the most extensive Skiing area.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have wen't to Val d'isere,Val Thorens,Les Arcs,Chamonix.

Val d'isere has the best skiing out of them all imo.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TQA, I didn't say they were bad resorts, they are not.

FFS he has been skiing four weeks, I suggested a ski area that he would get more out of!! Everyone has ignored this.

St Anton (in particular), Val D and Ischgl all have pretty challenging piste skiing. But yes, you would still have a good time if you went to any of them.

After 12 ski holidays there, I can say Val d'Isere is my favourite resort by far.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AussieInMancland,
Quote:

At the moment we are thinking the last week of Jan that bleeds into the start of Feb

That's usually a good week to go. It can be popular with UK skiers though, as about half way between New Year and Feb Half Term.
If the snow base in your chosen resorts is already good by then, booking a couple of weeks before departure should give a good balance between choice and price.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:
@TQA, I didn't say they were bad resorts, they are not.

FFS he has been skiing four weeks, I suggested a ski area that he would get more out of!! Everyone has ignored this.

St Anton (in particular), Val D and Ischgl all have pretty challenging piste skiing. But yes, you would still have a good time if you went to any of them.

After 12 ski holidays there, I can say Val d'Isere is my favourite resort by far.

Surely most people will be comfortable skiing the majority of runs after 4 weeks of skiing.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FullyTucked wrote:

Surely most people will be comfortable skiing the majority of runs after 4 weeks of skiing.

Really?!?

I guess it depends on personal ability / athleticism / fitness / etc, and whether the 4 weeks was spent in an intensive training camp (or with a private instructor) or goofing around a blue run.

With St Anton, on a clear day, and good snow, there are plenty of options in the morning for a reasonable intermediate skier. By lunchtime, or on less than ideal days, there are far fewer.

Lech and Zürs have more options, though Zürs in a white-out / flat light would like be a handful for anybody who is a less than an adventurous intermediate.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of people's own ideas on here. We all have our favourites.

Now Arlberg is linked it it pretty awesome and st Anton offers some serious piste skiing too.
Space Lilly is bigger and offers more, in my op inion for more advanced skiing.
Paradise is overrated as a mega area although Les Arcs is a great resort
The 3V is an intermediates playground and VT is without comparison for snow quality
My personal favourite is the Dolomites but I'm in my forties. If I was in my twenties it would be Espace Milky

What Europe does offer is ambience and charm. Switzerland does this very well but at a cost. Austria also excels here.
The problem with the mega resorts is that charm is Kind of bulldozed to make way for infrastructure.
There are some exceptions, particularly satellite towns to mega resorts.

There are also resorts that offer a real feel of history: Courmayeur, Wengen, Cortina, Megeve, Chamonix, kitzbuel.

The Alps really are a large box of chocolates.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

...Space Lilly...
... Espace Milky...

Epsace silly?

Escape willy?
latest report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Meribel.
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy