Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summertime blues - what news for Sella Ronda in 2017/18?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bored with summer already, time to think about the coming winter!

So I thought I would punt around and see what is happening in the Sella Ronda by way of lift changes for next season.

First in Val di Fassa - the Ciampac cable car at Alba is being replaced by a 10 person gondola. See here for details. I think this is good news for going up to do the Skitour Panorama, but there will still be bunching on the way down to it from Col dei Rossi as that new lift from a couple of years back is effectively a cable car.

In addition to this there are other lift upgrades in the Ciampac area (same page) - the Sella Brunec chair that starts from the top of Ciampac cable car sounds like it will get a better stop at the halfway point which would be better for less advanced skiers. I think it becomes 2 lifts - Sella Brunec itself staying as modernised lower half, then a new lift Roseal which is effectively the upper half of the old Sella Brunec.

Not far away, looks like the Vauz - Pordoi (Fodom) chair which provides the link when travelling SR orange (clockwise) from Arabba to the Passo Pordoi above Canazei is getting upgraded from chair to a 10 person gondola. Some (myself included) will not necessarily see this as an upgrade because it means yet another "take your skis off" interruption, but they do seem to love their gondolas in this area. See here. See also here.

Then in Alta Badia, looks like the Biok chair is getting an upgrade from 4 to 6 person detachable chair - probably a good thing as it was the focus of queues in the blue heaven area.
Will be popular with friends who like to lunch at the Rifugio Bioch at the top of this lift. See here.

Yet another new 10 person gondola, this time around Val Gardena from Plan de Gralba leading up to Piz Seteur but I think it then continues onwards beyond there.
See here. English text here. Then this photo reminds me of Meccano.

I think it looks like it opens a slightly new way from top of Gran Paradiso onto the Sella Ronda green (anticlock) but maybe that was in fact there last year.
Makes me think, I don't think I have ever skied the red down from Citta dei Sassi back to Piz Seteur. Not even sure I knew there was one there!
Still, the flat Citta dei Sassi run across to Sass Levante will still be the same pain as it always is.
The other benefit I think is that the positioning of the intermediate station makes it easier to get off and join to Comici if you want to go that way, without the nasty little run down from Piz Seteur - because the lift is not finishing where the old one did. That in turn would mean that if you are going round clockwise then you might be better skiing on down past the Sole lift, down to PdG and uplift there to intermediate station.
See this photo for the new layout in the area.

Finally, there seems to be something going on at Seceda, see here but I cannot work out actually what it is.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SteveM, Thanks for the updates. snowHead
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very interesting.. snowHead


"....Finally, there seems to be something going on at Seceda, see here but I cannot work out actually what it is...."


They are building something at the start of the 'la longia' piste - you can see it on the Seceda webcam (no idea what it is tho'..)

https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:
Very interesting.. snowHead


"....Finally, there seems to be something going on at Seceda, see here but I cannot work out actually what it is...."


They are building something at the start of the 'la longia' piste - you can see it on the Seceda webcam (no idea what it is tho'..)

https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda


Looks more like a restaurant than a lift station

Either way, isn't the scenery just stunning!! Need to get out there next summer!
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpin forum speculates that it is a water storage facility for snow-making...?
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SteveM wrote:


Then in Alta Badia, looks like the Biok chair is getting an upgrade from 4 to 6 person detachable chair - probably a good thing as it was the focus of queues in the blue heaven area.
Will be popular with friends who like to lunch at the Rifugio Bioch at the top of this lift. See here.

.


This will be a good upgrade. Literally seemed to be the only lift where I queued for in the blue heaven area. Though to be honest it was never that long a wait!!
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SteveM wrote:

Yet another new 10 person gondola, this time around Val Gardena from Plan de Gralba leading up to Piz Seteur but I think it then continues onwards beyond there.
See here. English text here. Then this photo reminds me of Meccano.

I think it looks like it opens a slightly new way from top of Gran Paradiso onto the Sella Ronda green (anticlock) but maybe that was in fact there last year.
Makes me think, I don't think I have ever skied the red down from Citta dei Sassi back to Piz Seteur. Not even sure I knew there was one there!
Still, the flat Citta dei Sassi run across to Sass Levante will still be the same pain as it always is.
The other benefit I think is that the positioning of the intermediate station makes it easier to get off and join to Comici if you want to go that way, without the nasty little run down from Piz Seteur - because the lift is not finishing where the old one did. That in turn would mean that if you are going round clockwise then you might be better skiing on down past the Sole lift, down to PdG and uplift there to intermediate station.
See this photo for the new layout in the area.


Good stuff! snowHead

Crazy amount of new lift investment in the area...I wonder if that tale about the South Tyroleans getting the Italian Govt to recognise ski lifts as Public Transport and allow them the full tax subsidy as such is true?!?

The Gran Paradiso chair was there last season, a very swish 8-seater with full luxurious padded seating. There were no queues compared to the queues on the Piz Seteur chair before it, so I don't think many realised about the new option for the Sella Ronda Orange and were still using the Citta dei Sassi chair. The red and blue pistes from the top of these back to Piz Seteur were added at the same time.



I can't quite work out where the new Piz Seteur gondola is going, it looks like it bypasses the route of the old chair that led up to the restaurant completely. It did always get very busy around there at apres time, esp when they laid on the eye-candy entertainment!
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@luigi, "...I can't quite work out where the new Piz Seteur gondola is going..."

Follow this link, scroll down and there is a photo/image of the new top station


http://www.funivie.org/web/la-nuova-cabinovia-piz-seteur-a-selva-gardena/
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@luigi,
Quote:
it looks like it bypasses the route of the old chair that led up to the restaurant completely

I agree - in the link that @albob provided, about half way down is a photo/image showing the intermediate station quite clearly (angled shape) and it is below the "back" of the restaurant, then the gondola carries on up over the short run from Piz Seteur restuarant down to the chair that leads up to Comici or to the bottom of the Gran Paradiso.

So one would have to ski back down from the top station to see the eye candy. Happy

The other thing I happened upon when looking at the webcam in that link (aside from a long distance view of the construction) is the view from the Sasso Levante webcam that shows the Sassolungo lift with little "cabins" on it - in winter it always looks abandoned because it does not operate, I did not know whether they ever actually ran it, but seemingly yes in summer as shown in this picture

I don't know how many people get in a cabin, standing up by the looks of things?
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@SteveM, It is a two person 'jump in the back' job


http://youtube.com/v/fsbfE7oSc38


Skip to 1.30 to view the process....!
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers @albob, glad somebody else used the coffin word, as that was what sprang to mind when I saw them but I decided not to call them coffins in my original post! Maybe one day I will visit in summer, thinking of combining with a visit to the northern Italian lakes....
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like the new gondola is opening up possibilities for summer walker/biker use. I've been up there in early June as a daytrip from Lake Garda, there was still a fair bit of snow on the Sella Pass.
ski holidays     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy