Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2016/17 (Useful links in Post 1).

Poster: A snowHead
The coverage on the webcams loos pretty good, but a lot can change before the weekend when it opens.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See the Grande Motte cable car is closed for repairs for the whole summer season Confused??

Disappointing - but ski passes are only €25 a day as a result...

Still decent enough skiing - at least when the runs down to the Vanoise Chair are open.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, All part of a 3 year programme to refurbish the old girl (she's about 40). As they are replacing most of the cables this year it would be a bit tricky to run it Shocked Still the 3500 t bar should get a good work out, it gets you nearly to the top!
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:
@mountainaddict, All part of a 3 year programme to refurbish the old girl (she's about 40). As they are replacing most of the cables this year it would be a bit tricky to run it Shocked Still the 3500 t bar should get a good work out, it gets you nearly to the top!

Glad I read that, looks like I will be taking my skis up there and not my snowboard Shocked
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like the Val d'I glacier is only open in the mornings and closes on the 16th July. Has anyone tried this side?

Was thinking of the morning in Val and the afternoon on GM or does GM get too slushy in the afternoons too?
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker, Normally Val D'Isere Glacier is only open for 3 weeks, it is very limited and you need a car to drive up to the Col, if you happened to be there then it would be a mornings entertainment, nothing more. Tignes Glacier is a little bigger but again a morning is enough unless you are doing ski lessons (or I should probably say summer coaching to please the ski schools!).
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @chocksaway. I've now looked on the Val website and they are running a bus there from La Daille. We'll have cars so I could drive, but the last day of the mini season is our first morning in the resort. It would be good to do this one morning and GM on another.

We are indeed just looking for some entertainment between bike rides... and rafting, canyoning, paragliding and zipwire snowHead
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker, Don't forget the via ferrata - if you are brave! Oh and for a more gentle afternoon there is no better place than the lakeside terrace at Lo Terrachu in Tignes Le Lac for lunch and a glass of something cold(400m on the left after the tunnel to VC)
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just looked at the GM glacier on the webcam, doesnt look great i must say..... has anyone being on it in the last few days?
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, The Roc du Toviere Via Ferrata is 30m from our bedroom balcony and I really wanted to do it... until I watched the video. I'm just not good enough with heights for that Crying or Very sad

http://youtube.com/v/MrwzXbo7-kw

A boozy picnic at the lac is definitely on the cards. We are also doing rafting, canyoning and the Val zipwire park. We are taking road bikes too, so will be climbing BSM to Iseran, Seez to the border via La Rox and the reservoir road up to Col de Cenis.

Glad we aren't there this week. There is 40cm of snow forecast at the top stations and heavy rain in the villages until the weekend.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at the webcams today it looks like good snow all the way to the bottom of the Vanoise.

@mountainaddict, If you look at today's 1050 webcam you can see some sort of contraption spinning (?) a new cable on the Cable Car.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grande Motte is looking a bit dire on the webcams.

Any SitReps?
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone been up on the glacier in the last few days?

In tignes for the mountain biking and leaving tomorrow but considering a morning skiing.

Heard on Saturday that conditions were fairly terrible, one piste and the park open and pass reduced to €15 as it's so bad, but it's been cold and raining in Val claret last night and today and apparently tonight as well so there is supposedly some fresh snow but not sure if it's worth going up!
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were recommended not to go by a local hotelier friend, after some of her guests had been up there. It snowed on Saturday night, but was only a dusting.

TBH, there is so much to do, we ran out of days. Rather than skiing, go canyoning or rafting with H2o (their spelling), or who your accom people recommend. The aerial adventure park in Val is also well worth a visit. I crapped myself on the red zone and didn't try the black. I was the only one of our group to attempt red after the blue zone!
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Confirmation that next season will be the Alpaka's last:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/9396

Many a happy night (and the odd lost morning wink )
latest report     
Looks like the heatwave has broken, snow at the top of the Col De L'Iseran, I'm sure there is more up the glacier but its too foggy for the webcams!
ski holidays     
chocksaway wrote:
Confirmation that next season will be the Alpaka's last:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/9396

Many a happy night (and the odd lost morning wink )

'Leaders and members of the Ski Club of Great Britain - the country's oldest ski club - were regulars at the Alpaka for around 15 years.

The Club's leaders had their dinner in the hotel restaurant and held their social hour for members in the bar.'

How very gracious of the leaders!
ski holidays     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy