Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas fee for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had my heart set on Austria for 20th January 2018 but have been recommended Saas Fee and am seriously considering booking!

Is a picturesque village
It is snow-sure
Is good for beginners and intermediates
Lots of nice restaurants

But my only gripe is the transfer time of 3 hours and the cost of skis and passes!!! (crystalski prices)

Would it be best to buy passes and skis when at the Resort?
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Italy with Crystal in January - On the transfer bus they were charging the same as price as you would pay 'in resort'

I would wait - then you can choose to buy off the REP or DIY
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crystal
area lift pass and intermediate skis for 6 days is £423
standard ski boots for 6 days is £73

That seems very expensive to me, is it because Switzerland is known to be expensive? Surely I will be able to pick them up in Resort a lot cheaper??!!
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't rented in Saas-Fee for years, but I can remember paying around £300 for top end platinum skis for 2 weeks, so even allowing for inflation and exchange rate movements the prices seem excessive.

One of the biggest sports shops is Cesar Sport, so you could book your rentals in advance, but their website is currently not responding, for a price check - http://www.cesarsport.ch/

Another big shop is Glacier Sport, who are part of Intersport, they are showing between CHF 140 - 280 on adult skis for 6 days - http://www.intersportglacier.ch

I used both in the past.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki, You can look at the area lift pass prices for last winter online, the prices you quote don't look out of line. There may also be some currency hedging by Crystal if they are quoting it in pounds.

There looks to be an offer of cheap season passes if bought now though.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSki wrote:
I had my heart set on Austria for 20th January 2018 but have been recommended Saas Fee and am seriously considering booking!

Is a picturesque village
It is snow-sure
Is good for beginners and intermediates
Lots of nice restaurants

All of these are true - it really is exceptionally pretty, and has one of the best beginner/beginner progression areas I have seen, right at village level.

How are you transferring? If you take public transport, it's one train for most of the journey direct from either Geneva or Zürich airports, followed by a post bus for the last bit up from Visp. I don't mind spending a while on a train - much prefer it to 3 hours on a coach, though that wouldn't put me off, either tbh.

I have heard they will be running the lift pass offer again this year though have not seen it in writing. This was 222 CHF for a whole season last year, which became a good deal even if just for a week. So would hold and wait to see if that come off first unless Crystal are offering a significant discount. EDIT: it is on again, 233 CHF this year.

Ski/boot hire does tend to be expensive in Switzerland, though you do then get pretty good and well serviced kit for your money. Have a look online at the local shops to see what the going rate is. The walk up price won't be cheaper than online.

IMO Saas Fee is good value for Switzerland... but nowhere in Switzerland is going to be bargain basement prices.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buy a season pass for Saas Fee here for 233 CHF:

https://www.we-make-it-happen.ch/index.html

These might sell out, I'm not 100% sure if they are limited or not, so just do it as soon as you have decided that you are going to go to Saas Fee, it is an absolute steal at that price and should make a trip there good value

*Just don't brag about it too loudly on the transfer bus while other guests are paying the full whack for their week pass
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said, it is all of those things. Saas fee is one of my favourite resorts, one I like more than a lot of larger, more famous places.

The snowsure, extremely high mountains surrounding the village (the resort claims 18 4000m peaks in the vicinity) and northerly orientation can mean sunshine is a bit sparse least at village level until later in the season. However, January isn't really "sitting on the deck of an apres bar" season so that's probably less of an issue.

Mountain restaurant-wise, three stick in my memory. The rotating restaurant right at the top of the lift system and the mountain hut at langfluh are both well worth a visit because of the absolutely mind boggling views (the food is also pretty good but generally in a swiss cheesy style). Gletschergrotte is worth a visit for the food and/or a warming drink on the way home: charming hut set away from the piste on it's own track in the woods.

Finally, the ski pass includes bus travel services to two other ski areas in the valley (both about 10 mins on the bus). Saas grund (Hohsaas) in particular is well worth a visit, with some long reds and blues and brilliant views of the mountains around saas fee
snow report     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy