Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro ski road trip - advice needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the replies.
The video of the bash looks great. What month was that?
Is the train from Innsbruck to the Dolomites easy enough? If we stayed in one of the Sella Ronda towns we could ditch the car idea. I guess we could also try the half board thing for our stint in the Dolomites. We could then pick up a car once we're done in Venice and could use it to get to Cervinia or Cormayeur.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHeads' Birthday is 5th Feb so the Birthday Bash is always that week.
And yes, this year's 14th birthday will be in Arabba again this year.

Well firstly, there's a good railway connection from Munich to Innsbruck.
Then there's a railway line that runs South over the Brenner pass, from Innsbruck towards Verona.
To get to the Dolomites, you would go as far as Bolzano (about 2hrs / 25-30€)
Then switch to a local service, 20minutes to Waidbruck/Ponte Gardena.
From there, the bus up to Selva costs a pittance: 3 or 4 euros maybe.
Selva, as you already know, is on the Sela Ronda Circuit.

Bolzano to Venice is 3-4hrs on the train.

If the Birthday Bash dates suit you, then you have the extra stage of Selva to Arabba but you also have the massed ranks of the snowHeads to help that work out smoothly - and it always works out snowHead
(It's also easier getting to Venice from Arabba than Selva.)
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sbooker wrote:
The video of the bash looks great. What month was that?

That was the Birthday Bash, first week in February, based in Arabba. The 2018 Bash will run 3-10 February. A smaller Bash happens the week before the Birthday Bash in Alleghe. snowHead
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm curious about the rifugios thing. Can one ski and drop into a rifugios and stay the night and expect a meal? Can you just drop in or must you book?
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sbooker wrote:
I'm curious about the rifugios thing. Can one ski and drop into a rifugios and stay the night and expect a meal? Can you just drop in or must you book?

I've not stayed at rifugios myself, but I think you'd be much better to book in advance, dropping in on the chance that they have rooms available would be very risky imv. Some tour companies do touring holidays in the Dolomites where you ski during the day and stay at different rifugios each night, with your luggage transferred to the rifugio for you, e.g Colletts Ski Safaris. I met a group of skiers on the slopes of Alleghe who were on their last day of a Colletts tour and they said it had been very good.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I done lots of rifugios during the summer and though technically you can drop in and if they have a space they will put you up. However I always phone in advance and make a reservation. Most guide books contain th ephone numbers and I am sure the tourist office can help. Every one I have used has a guardian and provide some quite lovely meals. You also get to meet some interesting people who are also staying there.

If you get the chance may I suggest a night at the Rifugio Scoiattoli near the Cinque Torri.

The standard of huts also varies from basic dorms (remeber to take a sheet sleeping bag) to pretty much hotel stanard. Many of the huts have web sites and allow internet booking - for example http://lagazuoi5torri.dolomiti.org/dengl/cortina/laga5torri/ospitalita/Averau/index.html with prices to match
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only few take overnight guests in winter! But the ones who do can be very nice. snowHead
So make shure they take guests in winter and call the day before good weather to make shure they have room for you or your party.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loadsa info here (in French):
http://www.refuges.info/

Always best to book in advance. Sometimes the guardian will only turn up when required. Many huts will be booked out on bank holiday weekends too so best book them long in advance. But generally, all but the most popular huts will have space at other times during the ski touring season. Whatever happens, they are unlikely to turn you away and will put you up on mattresses on the floor or somewhere - it's just not very polite to put them to the inconvenience.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Research has allowed me to narrow down plans a bit.
1. Fly into Munich and have a couple of days there. Definitely want to go to Dachau otherwise would be open to flying into somewhere else.
2. Ski somewhere in Austria for a few days. Need somewhere snow sure and ideally on the railway between Munich and Innsbruck. Suggestions would be great. Staying in a town with a short bus/gondola ride to the hill would be ok.
3. A day or two in Innsbruck. Then train to Italy.
4. A few days skiing on the Sella Ronda and Great War tour. Need suggestions on which village to stay in.
5. Travel to Venice to check that out and then either grab a car or train to Milan.
6. Ski the Aosta valley (maybe stay in Aosta). Would like to do the Vallee Blanche thing, ski La Thuille/La Rosier for a day, ski Cervinia (and have lunch in Zermatt and take obligatory selfies with Matterhorn in the background), ski Pila and maybe Courmayer. Will have a car for this leg. Understand we may not be able to do the Vallee Blanche in January.
7. Fly home from Milan.
Does this sound logical and doable? Very open to refinements and I'm likely to have bigger plan changes before we lock things in. Smile
I understand we'll be on the go but we enjoy that. We want to get as many experiences in as possible considering it would be difficult to get back to Europe for a long weekend to fill in a blank.
Thanks again for any help/suggestions.
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well Skiwelt and Kitzbuhel are just up a short side line from Worgl. Kutzbuhel probably has the heritage you're looking for and a bit of a different from normal ski village.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Well Skiwelt and Kitzbuhel are just up a short side line from Worgl. Kutzbuhel probably has the heritage you're looking for and a bit of a different from normal ski village.

Are those areas fairly snow sure in early January? I'm no expert but they don't have the greatest elevation. What are the snowiest resorts in that region? We don't have to be right on the train line I guess. A bit of back tracking wouldn't be a big problem.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sbooker, My previous suggestion of the Zillertal valley has the advantage that if (unlikely) the snow conditions should be poor there is guaranteed skiing on the Hintertux glacier at the top of the valley. The Zillertal valley is accessed directly from the main line railway between Munich and Innsbruck, get off at Jenbach, change platforms and take the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway which goes all the way up the valley as far as Mayrhofen. Should you need to ski at Hintertux there are very frequent ski buses from Mayrhofen to Hintertux.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^^^
Zillertal Valley is the Zillertal Arena? Does the ski bus attend to all the towns along the valley road? Do most villages have a pub/restaurants? Would that region be considered 'quintessential' Austrian skiing?
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks to be what we're after.
snow report     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy