Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steep Terrain Kick Turn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had the GoPro on today as I was filming Les Rando Chiens and then was talking to OH about kick turns, and she was complaining how she could not swing her ski round, and there's no way I'm any more flexible than her, so I sort of exaggerated how to get the ski around and then how to bring the ski close up to the knee and pivot it around without the need for a kick.

As ever was very easy on not too steep a slope and spring snow rolling eyes

Should also add that I have a mini Vesuvius ulcer on my ankle bone so kick turns are feckin painful at the moment for me

http://youtube.com/v/M_OTZoo3Meo
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That does clear things up. I guess they're pretty light skis you've got there?
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without wishing to complicate matters, there is a slightly more polka version of the movement for the first ski (old uphill), where the ski is drawn back so the tip is next to the ankle, then the ski is pivioted around the tip somewhere between 100-170 Deg, depending on your flexibility, then the leg extended uphill to clear the tail from overlapping, then the little mantle shelf as before, with the option of stuffing the tail under the other ski if the ground is soft enough. I must add if I'm going to cock it up it's never with the first ski move, rather when I've transferred my weight then catching the tip of the second ski in the snow above. The pole thing is also interesting, some swear by having both poles uphill, others, myself and it looks like weathercam included go for one above and one below, which can be very handy if you don't quite make it Smile
@Weathercam, I see they are scott skis you have there but which ones? Superguide 88?
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski's are indeed Scott Superguides 88's

And yesterday I was on my K2 Coombacks 115 and a little longer and I was climbing a really steep face and my technique just went out of the window with the bigger ski as the gradient increased, so much so that I had to resort to boot pack the last 50m to the ridge.

So thread drift, when do you give up kick turning and resort to boot packing rolling eyes

Stunning views over to La Meije and La Grave from the ridge

snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, when the long blue dashes change to dots?
Seriously, I tend to wimp it out especially if there is some boot packing anyway. It's a similar dilemma with crampons, the tendency is to put them on either skis or boots after someone's taken a pisser.

I've been thinking of getting some 88s to supplement my powdairs. How do you like them.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jbob, I have Scott Powdairs as well - I use those for hut to hut tours or road trips when I'm not too sure of conditions and routes so they're a good all rounder.

My 88's are great for routes when I know I'm not going to encounter cold fresh (deep), or heavy snow, i.e classic spring corn and they are very light with Dynafiddles.

Then my 115's are my de facto powder ski.

I do also have a Scott Cascade with Scott Guardian bindings, except I'm down to just the single one at the moment after getting caught in a slide couple of months ago so hope to go up in the summer and find it.

The blue dots do give you a good idea that it's steep, but you can see that from the contours, I actually went to roughly where it's 3005 on the ridge.

I've just been looking at another route that I did a few years back and some 40 kick turns and that's blue dots all the way and we did not boot pack at all on that, though that's not one I'd do on my own as it's N facing and I've seen it slide often.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been trying to do the Ski Touring Kick Turn for years.
But a combination of old creaky joints and terror always ruins the process.
And i end up doing the knackering scary "walk round".
There's a bottle of malt whisky for anyone who can get me to do it right.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, my worst turn was when I chopped a bum sized hole with my axe, stuck my ass in it and lifted my skis round below me.
I guess you could call it an A turn, not recommended.
ski holidays     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy