Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rental in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering a trip out to Whistler next year for my birthday (which is on Easter weekend, so Iíll happily spend the Easter weekend partying, and ski the hills again once the crowds have gone home) and I'm trying to cost it up, and plan what I might do when I'm there.

Ski hire Ė does anyone have any knowledge of the cost and quality of rental skis out there? I have my own skis and think I would prefer to take them (poss. 2 pairs) unless itís easy to change around on hire skis and try fun new modelsÖ (I'm hoping for 2 and a half weeks so am guessing the cost of rental will be far more than the cost (and hassle) of transporting my own)

Edit: just got an online quote for Affinity through Intersport at $372/£190 Shocked Does it get any cheaper booking at particular times, or is that about standard? I suppose it's not bad for 2.5 weeks, and not having to risk your own skis, but still...
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Affinity is one of the cheaper places IIRC. But if you've got your own that are suitable for spring conditions in the PAC NW then I don't know why you wouldn't use them. I think there's a demo centre on the hill that will let you take pairs out for an hour or so at a time.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh as for quality rental shops will probably have next year's demos in by Easter and shops will be selling 2016 stock at 50℅ discount.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fixx, I swapped at will between piste and powder skis at Affinity (Blackcomb). Not a busy time (mid January) and they just kept both pairs set up for me in the shop (I was staying in the same building) all week.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Summit Sports. I believe they (like many other retail places) are now owned by the resort. They stock a full range of current powder gear and no doubt they have other stuff too. Their staff are locally managed and actually ride (or ski). My buddies (who will generally have powder gear already) use them precisely to check out each seasons's new stuff. You should be able to swap gear around there or anywhere else - it's BC, and you're a paying customer. A stroll from the bottom of the main lifts and accessible from the other side by car if you've someone to wait in the vehicle.

If cost is your prime driver there are probably better places to go than Whistler.

Summit put their range and prices online, although right now they're only listing summer stuff. summitsport.com
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all Ė really useful, and food for thought!

Itís not so much about being really strict with budget Ė I just donít want to feel Iím throwing away money that I could put towards more beer/guided days Smile

Iím still torn Ė I like the idea of playing with new toys, changing according to the conditions etc, not having to worry about damaging my own skis if conditions are thin, and the reviews above of ski rental places sound great. But I do LOVE my own skis! And there is an extra bit of confidence you get from knowing exactly what youíre skiing on.

The other consideration (I should have mentioned before) is that Iím looking to change to a more touring-focussed set up from this winter on Ė while I know the terrain is different in Canada and there will be huge amounts of Ďin-boundí terrain to ski while Iím there, I would like to do some touring there too. Will it be more difficult to rent skis/bindings to fit my boots or is that also well catered for?
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're moving to Dynafiddle set up then the number of places renting tech binding set ups are probably limited - Escape Route will certainly cater to your needs but I'm not sure how big the rental fleet will be elsewhere. Bear in mind you'll be there in spring when there might not be the same competition for inbounds corn lines so there may be less of a need to go outbounds to get the goods although there are certainly good objectives to get to.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bear in mind that at Easter the weather can be very changeable and you might want to change your skis to suit conditions. You can expect anything from sheet ice in the morning to slush with the real possibility of corn snow and fresh powder.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Whistler you're mainly looking at single rather than multi-day tours. Whistler Alpine Guides will rent you equipment as well as providing a guide (https://www.mountainskillsacademy.com/whistler-alpine-guides/). When I went with them a few years back I recall most of the group had hire skis and used their own boots as the climbs were short. I believe at the time they were using Fritschis.

Escape Route are a good option, as are Excess Backcountry (the latter being much more centrally located). You can certainly hire tech-compatible kit from Excess.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you rent you can change ski daily if you want. We use Summit who have always been good and right next tow Whistler Gondola. You can leave skis there too over night so just carry boots up and change in shop pick up skis and you are in queue 2mins later. They were bought by the mountain but still same nice people in there, so no change.
If you do take your own skis you can go to the Yurt near the round house light board and try as many different skis as they have in there free. They let you have them for half days but if you like them go back and as long as they don't have someone waiting for them you can keep them for rest of the day. Good way to test a load of skis in real conditions, without having to go back down to the village.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fixx, Affinity at Blackcomb where quite happy to swap carvers and powder skis at will for me. In essence, I rented two pairs for the price of one for a week.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't remember exact prices (5 years ago) but I did think they where a rather more expensive to rent there compared to Europe (ischgl St anton etc) but the gear was top notch and where flexible to change skis for weather change. But be quick if there is fresh snow for better chance to try exactly what you want. As said above they often have a tent up on whistler mountain for you to try different skis free of charge. Personally I wouldn't dream on getting on a plane for a winter holiday without my skis whether for a weekend or a few months.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gosh, just seen I made the same post the best part of a year apart!
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One assumes that OP isn't going given that she is laid up in Serre Che on the SOPIB.
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The OP is indeed going Smile Doctors says I can ski again by the time I get there (and gave me a stamped and signed letter saying the same for insurance purposes) - though I will of course be taking it easy the first few days! Yes, I was very lucky the fall wasn't worse.

I'm taking my own kit, as I moved to a tech set-up over the summer and so rental gear will be an issue. Plus I prefer my own kit, and have put the rental money towards lessons while there.

It was quite a thread bump Smile All booked back last November - I'd actually forgotten about this thread, as there was a lot of chat and advice from people on the main Whistler thread - sorry! I don't normally post and run Skullie
snow report     
Oh well that's good news. I thought I was good at fairly aggressively scheduling ski trips but clearly I am but a novice.
snow conditions     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy