Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

M25 Closure BOTH DIRECTIONS 15 March - 18 March

Poster: A snowHead
FYI - Could be a big problem for those going to Heathrow or Gatwick, or anyone on the Western section of the M25

National Highways will shut the M25 in both directions between junctions 10 (A3 Wisley) and 11 (A320 Chertsey Interchange) from 9pm Friday 15 March to 6am Monday 18 March 2024.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Frosty the Snowman, this is the first announcement I've seen which gives more than just the numbers of the junctions, which personally I haven't memorised. Thank you!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is the first announcement I've seen at all! Road closures don't much impinge on my consciousness and if it's been on telly I wouldn't have seen it. Thanks very much - have warned my family.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hurtle, I noticed lots of signs on the Matrix boards when going to Gatwick last week - but that's just going to help regular users, complete waste of time for anyone who's just planning on using that weekend to travel on holiday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The roadworks around the A3/M25 bit means that that section of the M25 is appalling now. Anyone in their right minds would avoid it at all costs. I've been that way twice in the last two weeks but luckily on the bike, even so it's terrible.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for intel, flying from Gatwick Sat 16th. Luckily hotel and parking booked Friday 15th. May avoid area completely though given info
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@gixxerniknik, you want to try living in a place where Junction 10is The Junction.
The authorities should be ashamed.
We go to Switzerland a lot and when they have major road infrastructure stuff to do it is going on 24 hrs a day, huge lighting rigs, and 7/7 days a week...with LOADS of workers, loads!

M25/A3 work is a handful of people, 4.5/7 days, 8 hrs a day (nominally).
My friend became Head of Security and was absolutely APPALLED (emphasis required!) at the level of site theft at every level. Big changes implemented, already saved several million pounds!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sure its a PITA but its needed doing for decades - the 'peak times' on J10 were getting longer and longer and traffic was regularly stretching back both on the M25 and both ways up and down the A3, you'd regularly see the shrapnel left behind after rear-enders for people diving in at the last minute.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richard_Sideways, totally agree with you there.

@rungsp, Years ago I saw in Holland that they do smaller roadworks only at night so as not to disrupt the locals too much. Come morning they clear it all up and continue the next evening. Brilliant idea!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rungsp, indeed. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Living between J10 & J11 you just can't avoid the disruption. Even local traffic is bad now too. Just glad to be WfH now and so not having to use J10-J8 daily.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RHS Wisley must be losing a fortune. I've certainly not risked going there for ages, and in normal circumstances it's an easy drive for me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is the closure a one-off?

No - it's just one of five planned full closures between the junctions.

The other four closures are expected to take place up to September, according to National Highways, but their dates have not yet been confirmed.

The project began in summer 2022 and is expected to last three years in total.

Skullie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its a complete remodeling of that whole infrastructure and more far reaching than just the junction.

Rather than full flow motorway connection (dedicated direction changes) its always been intermediate roundabout to facilitate route changes, the slips getting longer and more lanes to try and contain volume over the years, but often very busy with long queue tailing back onto live carriageway with attendant risk.

Additionally, narrow subsidiary bridges being completed in replacement, new village location (opposite Wisley on A3) with it's own new junction, very involved wider structural shifting around this whole scheme, all pretty substantial but long term necessary it seems.

Don't think Wisley much affected, their route in and out still OK but mingles with A3 northbound to M25 route slip anyway. It all moves but with slow pace approaching peak as you'd expect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, the garden has had to shut at least once, on what would normally have been a busy weekend.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, I have let my membership to RHS drop at the moment, bit of a case of can’t belong or be a friend of everything, but the traffic issues certainly swayed me into having a few years off. And that has turned out to be the case with a few friends too.

Our bit of road joy, the A27, has got a closure this weekend, Friday evening till Monday morning between various roundabouts, but I have read so much about it with differing opinions (on FB and the alarmist Next Door) that I have given up and will just avoid. Part of it is closed anyway since yesterday caused by flooding, and with the flooding, sewage on the road surface so having to be cleaned.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@ski3, the garden has had to shut at least once, on what would normally have been a busy weekend.

Yes, that section of A3 was shut to all traffic both directions two weeks ago as we went through there (wanting A3 straight through) and re routed to via M25.

It's an odd arrangement as "original" A3 was made into bypass of much along that route (going before through villages etc) couldn't be made M status as too many local routes incorporated, so effectively 3 Lane dual carriageway (virtually M status) but with many local access points grouped in that short section.

It's going to take some considerable sorting out to be properly effective by de coupling some of that local switching of routes.

They did build the tunnel at Devils punch bowl though Very Happy to very good flow provision and local enhancement. They can get some things done well.
snow conditions
@Pamski, The A27 around Chi is another one of my pet hates! Laughing That bit on the ring road where it floods across thenorth/East bound side is terrible too!
latest report
Apparently the second full closure is going to be sometime in April, but they’ve helpfully not announced the dates yet. As if anyone would want to plan their travel this far in advance!
snow conditions
Similarly when the A303 is shut to build the unwanted unneeded damaging tunnel past Stonehenge who knows where the traffic will be directed.
They have already announced the full closure of the A360 for several months to lay an electricity cable to the proposed tunnel as none of the Landowners nearby will allow their land to be used.
The decision to go ahead with the £2.5 billion tunnel, funded by the us taxpayers, is going to the court of appeal again.
latest report
@boredsurfin, Not similar at all.. this is a major upgrade of big motorway junction and associated bridges and access ramps etc -much needed as all will agree

No one is planning to tunnel into or under Kate Windsors abdominal wall or any other area of Royal's Caverns or National trust protected Nests or areas of SSI
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Similarly when the A303 is shut to build the unwanted unneeded damaging tunnel past Stonehenge who knows where the traffic will be directed.
They have already announced the full closure of the A360 for several months to lay an electricity cable to the proposed tunnel as none of the Landowners nearby will allow their land to be used.
The decision to go ahead with the £2.5 billion tunnel, funded by the us taxpayers, is going to the court of appeal again.

Well, if the Americans have kindly stumped up the cash for it Very Happy might as well make a good job of it.

Obviously I'm not local to Stonehenge area, but felt it would be good to complete that in taking the road away from the overall landscape there.

The A3 Hindhead tunnel has been a real change for the immediate surroundings, now left alone and slowly being returned to status before the road took the route into constant traffic affected environment. It does show that useful, practical and very effective public works can be completed and have a big positive impact. The area is a very interesting place to visit, and now becoming quite established as the old infrastructure has largely been taken away.

They should probably go under Guildford too and return the land to that community. Would make place for a very good outside dry slope on the escarpment, some great DH bike facilities, return substantial open parkland to local use etc, an ideal candidate for tunnelling.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info FtS!

Certainly helps me to better plan my UK return on the Sunday Smile . I suspect the A3 exit from the M25 (northbound) will be carnage.
ski holidays
@rungsp,
Quote:

M25/A3 work is a handful of people, 4.5/7 days, 8 hrs a day (nominally).

2 things here, firstly, i dont know for sure, but the working hours could be down to local planning restrictions so as there isn't construction traffic/noise affecting the surrounding areas 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, obviously there may be some sort of agreement in place where they knew that it would be inevitable that there will be a small number of shutdowns to allow for this.

i have worked on loads of construction projects where local planning rules has restricted site opening hours, i.e. no noisy works before or after a certain time, and sites shut on Sundays etc!!

planning restrictions/laws is one of the (many) reasons why large infrastructure projects in this country take eons to carry out

i have driven through road works on the continent where bug all, or minimal is happening at the time.

secondly, a lot of people who have never set foot on, or near a major construction site, and think it should be like D.I.Y SOS, or challenge Anneka, where you have 20 trades per square foot tripping over each other, in reality it is not practicable, nor cost effective, or even safe to do this!!

am sure there will be loads of slow going, methodical prep work going on to enable big pushes to be carried out

one of my last projects i was on before my current one, was in Addlestone, so whenever there was an issue on the M25 at the A3, it would become gridlocked around that area.

obviously it is a huge PITA, for any locals/regular users, but hopefully these works should give a long term gain, as there could always be issues at this junction at busy times, especially where you get numbnuts pulling over to the slip road at the last second (where there are queues) and being involved in crashes!!!

@Boris, i agree that it generally only helps regular users. but after missing a Eurotunnel crossing a few years ago, because the M20 was shut at 8pm on a Thursday evening, with a cost of approx £75 to go on a later crossing, even though there were no notifications from Eurotunnel about this planned closure, we were diverted cross country and sat in traffic.

i complained to ET about lack of notification, but this fell on deaf ears!!!

i now use highways England app/website to plan my route beforehand if i have an important trip and using motorways
snow report
@terrygasson, given the noise of the M25 I’d be amazed if you could hear any construction noise
snow report
@Boris, Very Happy
snow report
ski3 wrote:

The A3 Hindhead tunnel has been a real change for the immediate surroundings, now left alone and slowly being returned to status before the road took the route into constant traffic affected environment. It does show that useful, practical and very effective public works can be completed and have a big positive impact. The area is a very interesting place to visit, and now becoming quite established as the old infrastructure has largely been taken away.

First discussed and raised as an option in the late 1950’s….then repeatedly over the decades until finally gaining approval in the 1990’s. Wheels of progress Laughing

I agree, though, the A3 tunnel at Hindhead is an exceptionally good example of an all round benefit.
snow conditions
The Hindhead tunnel took forever to build. The Italians would have knocked it up in a trice. But it was very exciting when we could drive through it! Though I rather miss that big stone dog which used to sit outside a shop in Hindhead.
snow report
And the Devil’s Punchbowl area with the NT car park makes a great place to meet up with family coming from Guildford or Farnham with dogs and small people on bikes or scooters.

I do remember one morning during all the Covid stuff when we were not to met people but we just happened to go for a walk there about 7.30 one morning, sat afterwards having coffee from a home brewed flask and just happened to find our daughter sitting on the same bench and table. That was about as wicked as we got …. so felt quite fed up afterwards when we all heard about the parties at No 10.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen the signs for that so often, @Pamski, but never been there.
snow conditions
Another closure this weekend (10-13 May):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cljdx9w2zlzo
ski holidays
@altis, thanks for flagging that up. I have to drive to Dorking this Sunday. Need to avoid Ulez aswell as our car is not compliant.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@altis, thanks for flagging that up. I have to drive to Dorking this Sunday. Need to avoid Ulez aswell as our car is not compliant.

If you want to keep well away from general hashing about, head for Sainsbury's, Merrow, Guildford, then A25 straight to Dorking.
snow report
Layne wrote:

The official diversion routes will be exempt form the ULEZ rules.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy